Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to copy and reproduce old home made DVD
[Post New]
I have an old DVD of my son's 1st birthday taken on tape about 9 1/2 years ago. It has a title and plays straight away after loading.

I copied it using Nero Express but it came out as a .nrg file and PD10 did not recognize .nrg.

Then the fun began. How to convert it to a format that PD10 will use so that I can burn another DVD?

Well I tried Wondershare but they want money for anything more than 5 mins long.

Then I tried something else and something else and eventually got a file, which, when loaded onto PD10 reads "VTS_01_01.VOB". This works and I burnt a DVD from it but I'm not entirely sure how I got that VTS.VOB file.

Is there any other better way anyone can suggest please as I have a couple more DVDs of the same era I would like to copy?

Thanks,

Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2016 11:01

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that nero express is part of nero burning rom. Copy disc is all you need to do to copy that dvd. I don’t have that available anymore on my present pc.

Put that dvd in your optical drive Open PD and go to the Capture mode, select optical disc and record it. Another way is to copy those 1 GB .VOB files to your hard drive and import those into PD. You may have to rename the extension of those vob files to mpg for it to work in some versions of PD.

If you have a store bought pc then you probably already have a free dvd copy software included unless you removed it believing it was junk at the time. Check your pc for such software.

Let us know if any of this help.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have an old DVD of my son's 1st birthday taken on tape about 9 1/2 years ago. It has a title and plays straight away after loading.

I copied it using Nero Express but it came out as a .nrg file and PD10 did not recognize .nrg.

Then the fun began. How to convert it to a format that PD10 will use so that I can burn another DVD?

Well I tried Wondershare but they want money for anything more than 5 mins long.

Then I tried something else and something else and eventually got a file, which, when loaded onto PD10 reads "VTS_01_01.VOB". This works and I burnt a DVD from it but I'm not entirely sure how I got that VTS.VOB file.

Is there any other better way anyone can suggest please as I have a couple more DVDs of the same era I would like to copy?

Thanks,

Phil
Nero express should be able to copy the DVD, That .nrg is Nero's Image of the DVD. You can use Nero Express to burn that Image to another Blank DVD disk.

If Nero Express will not burn a DVD from that Image, there are many free Disk Burning Software that can make copies and can burn that Nero Image to DVD.

If you want to make changes to that old DVD, you can copy the VOB files from the DVD to a folder on your computer, then import those VOB files into Powerdirector,

The VOB files are in the folder VIDEO_TS of that old DVD. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
tomasc, I tried copying using PD10 but it says it does not recognise the content of the disc. Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: tomasc, I tried copying using PD10 but it says it does not recognise the content of the disc.

That is a new one for me. I never used PD10 to try to copy any files from a dvd to a hard drive. That is a job for windows explorer. You could use PD10 to capture (record from that dvd). I don't suggest that anymore since it may be too complicated for you unless you read the user manual. I think that you are getting confused. Do one step at a time. Don't try to combine all these steps.

Try Carl312's suggestion. They should all work as described.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: tomasc, I tried copying using PD10 but it says it does not recognise the content of the disc.

That is a new one for me. I never used PD10 to try to copy any files from a dvd to a hard drive. That is a job for windows explorer. You could use PD10 to capture (record from that dvd). I don't suggest that anymore since it may be too complicated for you unless you read the user manual. I think that you are getting confused. Do one step at a time. Don't try to combine all these steps.

Try Carl312's suggestion. They should all work as described.

Hello, 7Phil77

I've tried this a few times, it's quite easy. Just load your old disc into your DVD rewrite drive, open the Power Director version you're currently using and select "Capture". The grey-out icons won't be usable, but you'll see that the disc with camera(AVCHD) will be highlighted, click on that and the drive will read the disc and tell you how big the file is and how long it plays, click on the red "record" button and capture begins. At the end of the process you have the video file ready to pull into your editing room to "have your merry way with it"(make any changes, snip out excerpts for use in other videos, whatever you wish). I just used a version of PD that no-one around this forum likes me mentioning too much, but just about all versions of PD essentially work the same way.

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
However, I just used Nero StartSmart Essentials and copied the next disc and then immediately burnt a new DVD very quickly. All is ok but I could't find a file anywhere that I thought I had asked to be saved.
never mind - I got the second disc ok. Phil

PD14 Ultra

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: However, I just used Nero StartSmart Essentials and copied the next disc and then immediately burnt a new DVD very quickly. All is ok but I could't find a file anywhere that I thought I had asked to be saved.
never mind - I got the second disc ok.
If you are using Nero to copy a DVD disk, the image file is temporary, it is created before the new disk is burned, then after the New disk is burned, the temporary image file is deleted.

That is the easiest way to make a copy for a disk. If you want to edit the content, you use Windows Explorer to copy the VOB files from VIDEO_TS folder on the disk to a folder on your hard drive. Powerdirector can then edit those VOB files, then burn a new DVD with a new menu.

That step is neccessary, because you cannot use the files on the Disk to edit, the disk is read only and powerdirector is not very happy trying to read the files from a DVD. Once the VOB files are on your hard drive the edit is easy.

Most DVDs have four or five VOB files that make up the DVD Menu and Movie. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.