Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 14 hangs producing at 100%
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: Mar 16, 2016 17:06 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure what's wrong with PD14.

I'm producing a few videos, shorter ones (up to 30 minutes long at least) get produced fine, but longer ones (40+ minutes long videos) hang when production reaches 100% and time left 00:00:00.

I need to produce 3 more videos like this and it takes over 2 hours each, I can't cancel every time it reaches 100%, it's wasting my time.

I followed all the advice from this page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=14947&prodId=4

Don't know what else to do, I just need it to work!

Help please!!!
[Thumb - pd14.jpg]
 Filename
pd14.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
285 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Has it truly hung? What happens if you click on the "Edit" tab. Your screenshot is what I always see and at that point. I go back to "Edit" which causes PD to import the newly rendered file to your project "Media Room" It suits the way I work very well because I tend to render in stages before I get to the final output.
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope, can't do that, as you can see it's disabled.

All I can do is Pause or Cancel Rendering.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ah yes - I see you're producing to your desktop and the Window Controls are not greyed out. If you minimise the PD window is the "Produce.mp4" file there on your desktop?

p.s. - have you tried other formats? Does this happen if say you produce to .wmv?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2016 10:55

AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes the file is there but if I try to open it, it doesn't work, like if the file is still in use and not finalised.

As soon as I click Cancel Rendering in PD, the file disappears.

No I haven't tried other formats as I need mp4. The weird thing is that shorter movies render just fine till the end, but longer ones kinda get stuck at 100%.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2016 11:01

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmm - I'm out of suggestions then - over to the experts smile

(I just realised that somehow I've strayed imto PD14 territory. Don't know how that happened, I don't normally look in here still being on PD13)
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nothing... For some reason, I managed to produce 2 out of 3 of the remaining videos but I keep doing the last one over and over (2.5h each time) and when it gets to 100% it just stays there and all I can do is click on Cancel Rendering.

WTF? :'(
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Nothing... For some reason, I managed to produce 2 out of 3 of the remaining videos but I keep doing the last one over and over (2.5h each time) and when it gets to 100% it just stays there and all I can do is click on Cancel Rendering.

WTF? :'(
There is something wrong with the source video. Look at your timeline near the end of the project, maybe cut the last second or two of the video. Save the Project As a new name, then try producing again. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: There is something wrong with the source video. Look at your timeline near the end of the project, maybe cut the last second or two of the video. Save the Project As a new name, then try producing again.

I thought the same, tried already, no luck.

Also, if I delete all the previous scenes and leave the last one, it renders just fine.

Running out of ideas here.
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
I lost count of the times I tried rendering this video today, every time it took 2+ hours and every time it was 2+ hours wasted.

I don't know what's wrong with this particular video, it's just really annoying me now that I paid money for this product.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In pref > Hardware Acceleration make sure both items are not checked
In "Produce" tab, near the bottom, make sure nothing in selected in "Fast video rendering technology:"

If the above is not set as such, give it a try, those settings usually result in the best chance for success. Since 2+ hrs, make sure nothing is set to any form of sleep, HD's in particular. Some systems don't do well when they go to part power mode and then awake.

Jeff
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, tried these settings this morning, started producing and went to work. Will find out if they worked this evening when I get back. Fingers crossed.
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nothing to do, came back home and PD has been haning there for 11 hours.

I don't really know what else to do.
[Thumb - pd14-2.jpg]
 Filename
pd14-2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
306 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
119 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
We don't have a DxDiag.txt from your pc. It does sound like that your pc could be low on memory or resources. Do you think that your pc meets the minimum requirements for HD ? Are those HD 2k avchd or mp4 files that are on your timeline? Maybe increasing the swap file size could help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I have not seen that, so I have no direct experience to share. If you go to your desktop (Alt tab or win D) is the Produce.mp4 there? Probably need to do it with PD in this hung state or sounds like PD will remove it. If so, you might be able to copy it with no access violations as PD probably still has file ownership.

Do you always check that shutdown option? To me it almost appears as something is going into a low power mode and maybe not being restored. You made sure windows power options had nothing set, never sleep?

Jeff
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
@tomasc: I wouldn't say it's low on memory, it's got over 100GB free space on the HD and if I open task manager, the RAM is only half full.

Furthermore, I successfully produced all the other 6 videos in the series (7 in total including this one causing issues, some actually longer than this one) with exactly the same specs (full HD @59.94 fps).

Attached is DxDiag.

@JL_JL: yes, if I go to the desktop, the file is there, I tried copying it to another location but then it wouldn't open, as if it was not finalised or something, and as soon as I click Cancel Rendering on PD, it gets deleted.

Re the shutdown option, actually no, it's the first time I ever checked it, in the hope that it would succeed and switch off my pc while I was at work. Oviously that wasn't the case

Yes, all power saving modes are disabled, the PC was still perfectly on when I got back home.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
289 time(s)
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm now trying to produce and publish directly to YouTube, just to see what happens... Probably another 2h wasted undecided
AkumaWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually, it looks like it's going to take over 4h producing and publishing at the same time... cry
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the DxDiag.txt. According to the DxDiag.txt you have connected by usb an old PATA 400GB hard drive (HD400LD). See this link: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/samsung/docs/T133Rev_02.pdf . I assume that the 6GB swap file is located on the ssd. This 5 year old laptop has the os upgraded to win 10.

There may be some things that will help here. According to this link for PD14 requirements 6GB or more is recommended: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate/spec_en_US.html . You are using the slowest ddr2 memory.

I do remember having a hanging problem like yours 5 years ago. The fix for some users in this forum then was to create smaller projects and then combine them to create a Blu-ray. I never tried that. I enabled HA but not hardware decoding and increased the ram from 3 GB to 4 GB and problem was solved for that project.

I think Jeff is on to something here. Try this: Install a free recovery software like Recuva. Produce your file and let it hang. Open the recovery software. Cancel the rendering in PD14. Use the recovery software to restore the produced file in your My Documents\... folder of your chosen filename.

Let us know if any of this helps.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another thought. Your pc may not be going to sleep but the usb interface device connected to your PATA drive might be overheating and not working when hot. I have had that problem before and the fix is to cool it down by opening the drive enclosure part way and have a cooling fan blowing into it. That fixed it for an external Seagate Expansion drive. I still have the drive but use a different drive enclosure with a cooling fan.