Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Veteran PD Users, what is your favorite "recent" added feature?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi to all,

I thought it might be interesting to ask the veteran PowerDirector users here what their favorite new feature is from the last few versions of PD. For me, I love the ability to use GIFS to add animations to my productions. For Thanksgiving I found GIF turkeys that had flapping wings and I showed them taking off from the fields at my local Elks Club. Folks really loved it.

A second added feature that I consider GREAT is the Camera-Sync plugin, which has been improved with the ability to sync files directly in the timeline by audio. I just used 4 cameras for a shoot, 2 cameras SETUP static, on tripods, and 2 cameras in-hand. This led to many snippets of video (as opposed to long capture files) which is nearly impossible to deal with until the Sync-by-Audio in the timeline feature. Fabulous.

So, what is your favorite added feature going back 2 or 3 versions of PD?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2016 07:46

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I am really NOT in most you folks' league when it comes to video creation and editing - so I'm not sure I can offer much anything of value regarding this topic.

I am so grateful for all you sorts of people that have such talent - for helping people like me, and those like me, with this program - with video editing and creation in general!

tomasc, Carl, Barry, Dafydd, Jeff, ynotfish, Mike, longedge, Shadowman, Optodata(when he was here), Als, jacardana, Cranston, stevek......and anyone I've forgotten (I'll edit you in later...)Thank you all!

Not sure when the Chroma feature in PIP came about but I've used it and really like it. That and the motion tracking ability in PIP is something I've used and think it's a nice feature.

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2016 09:00

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Copying & pasting keyframe attributes - to me - is the stand-out in the last few versions. It saves so much time! Maybe because of my leaning to toot making.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
My favorite feature ? The fact that I can rely on more consistent production flow and output quality. The hit and miss editing one went thru up to PD11 was a real time waster. Hurray for quality control in software coding ! Win 10, i7
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think we can add quality control as a "feature". The list of features is irrelevant if they don't work. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I think that the latest svrt rendering engine is the best new feature in PD as it now works with mov files. Would not have purchased PD if not for the smart rendering.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Barry!

While PD14 still has a few shortcomings, there are some features I've found useful:-

1] The ability to use transitions on the PiP video tracks, I've been using this to good effect when superimposing graphic titles onto my clips. It take a bit of trial-and-error to get a suitable transition effect that only affects the graphic itself without affecting the background image, but when the right transitions are found, it really lifts the video's presentation.

2] The ability to use the PiP video track as an extra title track. Opening the Title Room and choosing a template, then being able to drop it onto its own Title track AND also being able to drop it onto a spare PiP video track, has helped me create some interesting closing credit sequences of late. One lot of "captions" slides in from, say, right of screen, then slides away to the left, the next lot of captions slide in almost immediately after. This is created by typing in the caption, setting the duration for 15 seconds, positioning it at the wanted point in the video, then copying, move the scrubber a little way along the timeline, then paste. Change the text in the pasted title, pull it up onto a PiP track so it overlaps the end of the previous title by a few frames, paste another and change its text and do this as many times as desired. Pointer, the motion effect should be set in the very first "title" or "caption" so the effect is repeated at each subsequent paste.

3] the "cross" transitions are useful in that their use won't compromise the overall length of a video(i.e. shorten it) but there is a tiny shortcoming here that threshold, wipe(any direction) and a few others cause a momentary freeze-frame entering and exiting the transition.

These three features, I'm guessing, may have been present since PD10, but as I've worked initially with PD5(one PiP track, stills only), PD7(6 PiP tracks, video usable couldn't use transition effects on PiP), PD8( 9 PiP tracks but video usable couldn't use transition effects on PiP) then, while keeping PD8 installed, jumped to PD14(up to 99 PiP tracks but no-one would ever really use that many in one project - their computer would have a heart attack!), so I've never had versions 9 to 13 of Power Director.

Whatever is offered in PD15, I hope the "glitches" are ironed out before PD15 is released to the public.

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gee, Barry!

You're not getting much response to this post, are you? I had to look for this thread on page 2 of the topics list for PD14. My posting this will, at least get this thread back on page 1. A DVD burning project I undertook last night prompts me to write here because I gave PD14 Ultra's "Create Disc" function a try and it left a great deal to be desired. As you know(and I've been criticised for this often), I always render my videos at DVD-SP, this is on par with "standard definition" when viewing a digital TV broadcast. Two recent projects were chosen for the burn. The leading video was "The Sydney Tramway Museum", the second, being only just completed, "Steamfest 2016".

The file size indicator at bottom-left of screen in "Create Disc" mode was, basically "telling me lies" as I knew the file size for each video was far less than 2 gigabytes, yet that indicator showed them to be way up in the order of over 4.7 GB per item! Even when I selected "Smart Burn" the file size indication still showed a total value of over 4.9 gigabytes.... Huh??? PD14 somehow assumes these files to have been rendered as DVD-HQ when, in fact they were DVD-SP. The end result was a "drinks coaster"! This is why I stick with PD8 Ultra as it's file size display in Create Disc mode is far more accurate. I render in DVD-SP(criticism notwithstanding) to keep file sizes to a manageable level, so that a 1-hour video isn't going to go too far above 2 gigabytes if it does go that high. I like to put at least two items on a disc if they're just an hour each(double features, perhaps! LOL) and that's why I value PD8 Ultra for that reason(plus the ability to create a menu where one item plays then returns to menu, that was a brilliant addition to PD8 that's held on through to PD14). Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Cheers!

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Ya know, Neil, you seem like a nice guy, and you have joined here in the hopes of learning and teaching. That's cool.
But what in bloody hell does your post have to do with the topic? PD 8 is not recent and you don't mention any NEW FEATURES from a recent version (i.e. since, hmm, maybe PD 11 at the very earliest).
The good news is, according to my new drinking game, which rules state any time you (Neil) veer off-topic or post irrelevant information, I get to do a shot. More good news is every time you post your undying love for PD8, I get to chug a beer. Looks like today I am gettin' WASTED! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ya know, Neil, you seem like a nice guy, and you have joined here in the hopes of learning and teaching. That's cool.
But what in bloody hell does your post have to do with the topic? PD 8 is not recent and you don't mention any NEW FEATURES from a recent version (i.e. since, hmm, maybe PD 11 at the very earliest).
The good news is, according to my new drinking game, which rules state any time you (Neil) veer off-topic or post irrelevant information, I get to do a shot. More good news is every time you post your undying love for PD8, I get to chug a beer. Looks like today I am gettin' WASTED!

Hey, Barry(hic)!

It'shhh a won(hic)der yer sober enough to(hic, hic) write this! LOL.(just my bit of fun). Okay, now I've sobered up, I'll explain. I did not take the usual progressive route through the various versions of Power Director. I started out with PD5, a very basic programme which had only the one PiP track that did not allow video content, only stills, which I found a bit restrictive. Then I saw PD7 on a friend's computer and sought it out for myself because of its PiP feature, 6 PiP tracks allowing full video, not just stills. Then came PD8, acquired after another participant on this forum from Melbourne, Australia sent me his now-surplus-to-requirements copy. I used that for quite a while, first on Windows XP, then on Windows 7(my current computer). PD8 featured 9 video PiP tracks. Then I made the quantum jump, bypassing PD9 through 13, and landing at PD14(I have the "Ultra" version, PD8 is also "Ultra). I found that, in spite of its features(99 PiP tracks, which no-one would ever use that many in one project), PD14 had several shortcomings, not least of which was the inability to author discs in DVD-SP.

The other shortcoming in PD14 concerns the transitions. Yes, it's great that "cross" transitions will retain the overall length of a video but the sticking point is that some of the transitions, when used in "cross" setting will cause a momentary freeze on entering, and again on exiting the transition. That issue should've been sorted before PD14 was realeased to the public. Another issue concerning the transitions is that if you set the "behaviour" of transitions to "cross" as your default in preferences, then the audio component is not inserted along with the video component. This is time-wasting as you then have to go back and manually insert the audio components of all the transitions used in the clip. So they're the shortcomings. The "plusses" I've already mentioned(the ability to use transitions on the PiP tracks, the ability to use a PiP track as an extra title track, being two of them) Another "plus" is in editing. Of late I've adopted the practice of hovering the cursor over a clip in the media library before pulling it into the timeline. This is to check the length of the clip and how many extra frames beyond a full minute-seconds count, When I pull the clip onto the timeline, I split off and delete those "spare" frames. If I have a clip that is 2 minutes, 10 seconds and 1 frame, I can excise that one frame with ease, where in PD8 I could only get within 3 frames. If the legth was 2 minutes, 10 seconds and 2 frames, I'd have to count back to 2 minutes, 9 seconds and split there, losing a full second in the process. So that's PD8's shortcoming.

The fact that I can have both PD8 and PD14 together on one computer has proven very useful to me. When I acquired PD8, I would've liked to retain PD7, but in the installation, PD8 wanted to overwrite PD7(likewise PD7 would overwrite PD5, meaning one would uninstall, or require uninstallation of the earlier version), but PD1 loaded onto my computer without disturbing PD8.

One other thing PD8(ans subsequent versions) offered was video in reverse with all its comic potential, which I'll leave to your imagination how it could be used. I first had this in Corel Video Studio but that programme failed to open a while back and has since been uninstalled. I've found though, that in PD, if a reversing effect is to be used in a video, the sequence featuring the reversing effect needs to be produced separately, then dropped into the overall video where required. If the effect is applied in the normal run of editing a clip, Corel would simply take it in its stride as it renders the video, and two, or even three such instances could be added but PD would maybe get through the first, but "hang" on any subsequent uses of video in reverse. I found that in PD14.

Well, there you have it, Barry!

Cheers!

Neil.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
10.. . in this last one Barry... shessssh....... sighs.. I don't know if I'll see Barry for a few days after that 'PD8' usage........sighs.. Neil... can you STOP saying PD8 please...... you're going to kill Barry with alcohol poisoning...

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2016 21:00

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: 10.. . in this last one Barry... shessssh....... sighs.. I don't know if I'll see Barry for a few days after that 'PD8' usage........sighs.. Neil... can you STOP saying PD8 please...... you're going to kill Barry with alcohol poisoning...

CS

Hi, CS!

In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart: "Sorry 'bout that, Chief!" But seriously, PD8 and PD14 are the only two versions I have, between which to make comparisons. I went from PD5 to PD7, then to PD8, then the "quantum jump" to PD14, totally bypassing PD9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. Though, I'd imagine those intervening versions would be, in essence, similar to PD14, but I'm not likely to find out.

Cheers!

Neil.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
But this thread asks what you LIKE about PD14, not dislike. Your response is completely irrelevant. Start your own thread if you want to discuss your dislikes. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Neil, you are suffering from some sort of pathology. You quote me concerning my thoughts about your irrelevant, meandering posts (which are also incredibly lengthy), and after that quote you immediately go on a mind-boggling example of said irrelevancy which is so overly long it makes War and Peace look like a footnote. I'm runnin' out of ripple. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,
I have read this thread and am a little disappointed. You have a lot to write but you meander around off on tangential directions with little regard for the original topic(s) or the OPs initial question. You blog post on this forum far too often, kindly stop doing so.

Let's see if you can go a week without referencing older PowerDirector versions in your posts in the PowerDirector 14 forum (surprise us all). If you do need to refer to older PowerDirector versions then make sure you're in the older forum please.

Barry, would you like me to lock this thread that Neil has ruined?

Dafydd
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

With all due respect, I concur with the gentle admonitions and wise words of advice offered by both Dafydd and Barry above.

___________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Well, this topic went down the swirly-pot, didn't it?!
I thought it might be an interesting idea to see what really made users happy about the last few versions of PD, you know, 12-13 and 14. I was curious to see if BIG changes, or little changes were most popular. Perhaps CL might even have gotten a bit of insight to their clients. As for Neil, don't sweat it, dude, not every post I have ever made is perfect, but if you could just TRY to focus, keep it condensed, and then once in a while a good joke or STEAM TRAIN tie in would be fine, or else someone is gonna have to bust your bunker door and tie your hands behind your back. I can see it now, you, at the keyboard with a pencil or something clenched in your teeth, pecking away at the computer, one letter at a time, "I'll show them"!, S-T-E-A-M T-R-A-I-N-S, P-D-8, D-V-D, "I'll get my revenge", peck peck peck....OK, maybe time to lock down this mess.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2016 11:44

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well, this topic went down the swirly-pot, didn't it?!
I thought it might be an interesting idea to see what really made users happy about the last few versions of PD, you know, 12-13 and 14. I was curious to see if BIG changes, or little changes were most popular. Perhaps CL might even have gotten a bit of insight to their clients. As for Neil, don't sweat it, dude, not every post I have ever made is perfect, but if you could just TRY to focus, keep it condensed, and then once in a while a good joke or STEAM TRAIN tie in would be fine, or else someone is gonna have to bust your bunker door and tie your hands behind your back. I can see it now, you, at the keyboard with a pencil or something clenched in your teeth, pecking away at the computer, one letter at a time, "I'll show them"!, S-T-E-A-M T-R-A-I-N-S, P-D-8, D-V-D, "I'll get my revenge", peck peck peck....OK, maybe time to lock down this mess.

Go ahead! Locck the thread!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2016 12:49

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I knew you could do it! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)