Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 12 Capture doesn't Recognize VHS VCR Using ION Video 2 PC
John Gaska [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2016 22:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
First-time user of PowerDirector 12. I bought a USB device ION Video 2 PC to convert family VHS videos to DVD using my laptop.

When I click on the "Capture" button on PD 12, it only recognizes the webcam on the laptop. How do I "find" my VCR to capture the video? John from TX
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, John!

I'm using PD14 Ultra but whichever version of Power Director you're using, the method here is essentially the same. Upon opening your Power Director, select "Capture". When the Capture window opens, look down to bottom-right of your screen where it says "Settings". Click on Settings and a window will open showing details of Capture Device(if only one device is connected, this should be greyed and not selectable), Device Resolutions, Capture Source(generally Composite Video) and Audio Device(which should, like in Capture Device, show the type of capture card you're using, in this case the ION Video 2 PC). It's possible your capture cord might've come with an installation disc, allowing the device to be "recognised" by your computer and thus any video editing software loaded thereon. If you have such a disc, run it, and it might sort out your problem. Generally though, video capture cards are usually "plug-and-play" devices that, upon connection, take only a moment and the computer will "recognise" them and they're ready for use with any video capture/editing programme you may have, Bt just occasionally you may strike a device that requires an installation disc, like yours might be. Usuually when you buy these things, they come with video editing software in the packet. Sometimes they're bare-bones versions of Power Director. Hope this has been of some help. There are many more users on this site who can render further assistance, don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers!

Neil.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently bought a USB Ion VideoForever kit to capture footage from my two birdbox cams. At the moment PD 13 'hangs' on me every time I try to actually record anything although I can monitor what the camera is seeing on the capture window. PD doesn't fail until after I have hit the record button and then stopped recording. At the point where it should be saving the footage out to my hard drive it is locking up.

If your kit is the same as ther one I have bought, there was video editing software with it and this works OK for me, well almost - it is a bit quirky as well but I can actually record what the camera is sending. Have you tried any other software with the grabber?

p.s. in PD13 the capture screen has 8 icons for different devices. The device should be detected when you switch to "Capture" and all that have been detected will show as a highlighted icon. Mine is detected as a TV source.

p.p.s. - the tell tale factor for my problem is that for some reason PD is showing dropped frames for the whole recording length i.e. it's trying to encode a video for whioch all frames have been dropped???

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2016 14:50

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Longedge!

The trick there might be to use the software with your USB Ion VideoForever kit for capture purposes only, then import the capture into your Power Director 13 for final editing. It's always handy to have another bit of software on your computer to provide a "workaround" solution. The capture/edit software that might come with such a device may well be a bit "basic" but at least you can use it to simply capture the content, then edit it in Power Director at any time thereafter.

Cheers!

Neil.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Neil,

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing, or will be if I get any takers in my nest box.

I don't like to be beaten and can't help wondering why one piece of software can do it and another can't smile

p.s. I wonder - John did you get PowerDirector bundled with the USB grabber. I believe that it has been included with some ION items.

p.p.s. This is the sort of footage I am getting at the moment and This is the wireless camera system I've got with two cameras.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2016 18:59

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I don't like to be beaten and can't help wondering why one piece of software can do it and another can't smile

Hi, Longedge!

I don't like it either when software frustrates my efforts at creating the type of video I want to create, but why one piece of software can do something that another can't, I suppose we'll just have to chalk that up to the quirky nature of these things.

laughing

Cheers!

Neil.