Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Encoding error doesn't save full string of data
AndrewRH
Newbie Location: Whitchurch, Hampshire, UK Joined: Feb 19, 2016 17:23 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have an old .avi file that I encoded long ago with Pinacle Studio. I wanted to convert it to .mp4.

I loaded it into PowerDirector 14 and it let me know that there was some kind of encoding error with the file.

Similar message appeared when I tried to produce it into an .mp4.

The dialog had a 'save' button (to save the error messgae) but instead of saving the full text, on the first character of the heading and first character of the message were saved.

Seems like a printf with %c instead of %s was used.

See screenshots below.

Aside: I fired up my not-so-old Sony Platinum 12 and created a new avi file (no problem with loading/creating avi). Then I was able to load the new avi into PowerDirector and create the .mp4 (whew!).

Best wishes,

~Andrew~

>>> The saved file ...

Media Source Error Report :

E : V

M : V

E : U

M : V

D : .

S : 3

<<<

CyberLink PowerDirector 14 - 1 encoding error dialog.jpg

CyberLink PowerDirector 14 - 2 Media source error code 2 dialog
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
One thing you can try is use a file converter to clean up the file errors.

You can convert to a more compatable file format.

AVI tends to be problem laden. Converting to some other format usually helps. (MP4, TS, or M2TS).

File converters work better than usng Powerdirector to render. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AndrewRH
Newbie Location: Whitchurch, Hampshire, UK Joined: Feb 19, 2016 17:23 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for that follow-up.

The point I was trying to make was mainly that the error reporting in PowerDirector has a bug - namely it doesn't save what it says it will save (it saves just a character not the full string -- the difference in the C++ code is likely a printf using %c rather than %s). A programmer at CyberLink will know what that means.

As to the underlying problem itself as you kindly followed up on: Essentially I am doing conversion with PowerDirector - or at least trying! Would prefer not to spend money on another programme when this one should accomplish what I want. Alas...

Turns out the error in PowerDirector when it tries to read my .avi files is quite annoying to say the least.

Odd that my older Sony Movie Studio editor reads the .avi file without error. And if I create a new .avi using it, then PowerDirector can read it in fine.

Best wishes,

~Andrew~
AndrewRH
[Post New]
In case it is of any help...

Windows 10 system information is reporting that the RichVideo64.exe programme is 'faulting' -- and judging by the timestamps, it happens when PowerDirector is having that problem with reading my .avi files.

Here's what Windows System Information reports (XML format):

<Category name="Windows Error Reporting">

<Data>

<Time><![CDATA[27/03/2016 21:35]]></Time>

<Type><![CDATA[Application Error]]></Type>

<Details>

<![CDATA[Faulting application name: RichVideo64.exe, version: 2.0.0.9525, time stamp: 0x5292bbe2 Faulting module name: RichVideo64.exe, version: 2.0.0.9525, time stamp: 0x5292bbe2 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000028b40 Faulting process ID: 0x1ee8 Faulting application start time: 0x01d1886c7980f547 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo64.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo64.exe Report ID: 00de5058-cef8-4a2c-9d37-225ac7e45f23 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:]]>

</Details>

</Data>
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Suggest you try the Handbreak app (free) to convert the file first. Win 10, i7