Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
computer refuses to save projects in PowerDirector12 and recently loaded PowerDirector14
cornishman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2013 06:04 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Was having great success with projects but gradually over several months all new saved projects have refused to open even when opened immediately after saving them. If I try saving a project with the used name a message comes up saying it already exists which is true but it wii not open. Any ideas please?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
1. Select File/Save project as, and create a new named pds file, example 001.pds, each time you save a project file.
2.Without you providing your computer details, ensure you have the resources, sufficient hard drive, sufficient ram, and all data is stored in a short local address on your hard drive.
3. Your topic title doesn't match what you've written...
Right click on a saved pds file and select "Open with" and then select the right version of PowerDirector you want to open your project in. PDR14 project files will not open in PDR12. PDR12 projects once open in PDR14 and saved will not open in PDR12.
4. Could it be you have altered the priority/association of the pds file and you need to reset it. Use item 3 as the basis to re-associate pds files.

For further assistance, please provide a diagnostic of your computer and screenshots of the project in the Edit workspace and maybe we can help further. See top of the forum for the guides, Part A, B, E & F info please.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2016 14:27

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi cornishman

A point of clarification, please.

Are you saying that you have installed PD14, and when you create a project (.PDS file) with PD14, and then you save that PDS file in PD14 and close it, PD14 will not open it again using the "open project" button?

Or are you saying that PD14 will not open project files previously saved PD12?

Or are trying to open PD14 files with PD12?

It would be good if you could be a little more descriptive with your problem so that others can easilly understand your problem, and maybe then somebody will have an answer for you.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
cornishman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2013 06:04 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Many thanks for your interest. I beleive I got into a muddle saving projects in the wrong sequence. ie I should have saved each project under a new name before I shutdown instead of saving the project as a new name at the opening stage. Anyway the problem has gone away except that I get PDR has stopped working on the screen a bit too often and this can destroy a project.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cornishman

It's good that you have sorted yourself out. However, if you are suffering from other problems with PD that could be PC power related, I suggest that you post the DxDiag file for your machine so that members can view and comment. After doing this you may find that there are specific reasons for PD failing so often.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,