Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio editing made easy (or easier, at least)
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
This is a suggestion/editing tip that many may be aware of, but one which I don't remember seeing on here before and I find useful. I find it very difficult to get the timing of volume changes and exact db levels just right when using the "handles" on the audio timeline. Instead, you can adjust the level changes precisely to the exact frame and tenth of a db using the following technique. It also allows you to precisely "denoise" your audio (stationary noise, wind noise, or clicks), all without leaving PD.

Left-click to select the clip you'd like to edit.

Right-click on the clip and unlink the audio from the video

Highlight just the audio clip, then click on "keyframe", above the timeline

On the far left of the keyframe work area, select either "fix/enhance" or "volume" (I'll use volume in this example)

You'll now see a volume slider on the left and keyframe controls on the right (the central diamond adds a keyframe at the position of the playhead on the timeline, the left and right arrows jump to previous or next keyframe)

You use the controls under the preview window to watch/listen to your video, pausing the play wherever you like to add a keyframe

Once you added the keyframe at that point (by clicking on the diamond), you use the slider to adjust the db level

Keep changing the db level as you wish (note that you can see the "handles" changing on the audio clip on your timeline as you make changes in the keyframe work area)

When you're finished, you may either choose to "fix/enhance" (denoise) your audio, or return to the timeline by clicking the x in the upper right corner of the keyframe work area

Once you're back in the main edit window, you can either re-link your audio to the video, or you can click on the video track, click "keyframe", and you've opened up a new set video editing tools which you can use just as precisely as your audio tools

If you find this new and helpful, I'm glad. If this is old news to you, sorry for the distraction...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2016 12:49

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you. I kinda do the same thing, but I never leave the timeline. I like your way better. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
About the same here. I stretch the timeline and then focus in on the frames that have the issue with a 'bump' of a 'tick' noise.

But it's nice to see alternative methods used to edit the audio for certain. Thanks Dan!

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
[Post New]
great thank you
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Richmond Dan,
when I want to ajust the volume to exact db level I just right click on the videoclip on the timeline and from the menu choose:
Edit Clip Keyframe, and then
Volume
* the menu *
then I make the changes in the Keyframe Settings workspace
* Keyframe settings workspace/window *

cheers, Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12