Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help for absolute beginner
QJJOHN [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Staffordshire Joined: May 05, 2014 11:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Fellow users and I hope Dayfdd B

I hope you can help me with the qustions on the PDF attached

Thanks so much

John Parker
 Filename
PD 14.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
364 time(s)
John E Parker
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John

I wont comment on your machine as that is not my field, but when it comes to editing 4K, and most here will agree, I'm sure, no matter how good your hardware it will be a bit of a uphill struggle because of the high bitrates involved. However, there are ways to make life easier. You have already discovered shadow files which, as you say, take an eternity, they are so slow with 4k it seems unrealistic to use them.

As an easy alternative may I suggest you have a read of this thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page;jsessionid=D77790A3BF47D87FDCFBFEB9C10E39EC The system works very well and makes 4K editing a pleasure. Alternatively, there is another method which you can have a look at here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page This one looks complicated, but once you understand it it's easy too.

Both these methods work fine, but choice is down to the individual's taste. I calculated that the first option is about 8 times faster than shadow files.

Good luck with it

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2016 09:49

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
QJJOHN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert

I will look at all these links,hope I understand them and move on. I hope!!

JP John E Parker
QJJOHN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert

Hope very much that this gets to you and that you are able to help. As a beginner,as I am sure you will agree, PD14 is a steep learning curve. So what follows may not be right.

You simply cannot import 4k 150mbps files and play them back. I did not at first understand the significance of "generating" and of being "ready" Once ready my files play back perfectly

Whilst generating a shadow file is an option, commom consent on the forum indicates it is painfully slow.

So I bought ($1 the Magic +PD 64 bit program as per your suggestion

An 8 minute clip was "converted" in about 12 mins (8/10 times faster than a SF) and saved as xxx.avi

When I imported it to my clip bin, PD 14 started to generate a shadow file?? This seems illogical so cancelled the clip and unticked the generate SF box and reimported the same clip

This caused an error message that i was trying to import an high definition clip and offered to generate a SF. I declined,copied into the bin and onto the timeline.The playback is APALLING! 10/20 frames and it stops and the sound is like machine gun fire!

I THINK I followed the installation proceedure properly, including those things that i didnt understand like change the "threading from 0 to 1?)

This progam is held in very high regard so it must be me doing something stupid

Any help would be great

Thanks

John Parker John E Parker
QJJOHN [Avatar]
[Post New]
For some reason my eighteen dollars comes out as a smiley! I really woulnd't give one dollar for so much effort!! John E Parker
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John

Sorry to hear of your problems. Are you using Win10?

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
jan den hollander [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2015 15:54 Messages: 49 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi John

I wont comment on your machine as that is not my field, but when it comes to editing 4K, and most here will agree, I'm sure, no matter how good your hardware it will be a bit of a uphill struggle because of the high bitrates involved.

Robert

B.S...It's all about hardware and graphicscard.

Try a 980TI and your probs are gone.

C'mon..shady one where have you been?

Maybe..for you it's time to reconsider your so called expertise on these matters.

Because.. it's crap.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Maybe..for you it's time to reconsider your so called expertise on these matters. Because.. it's crap.

... and maybe it's time for you to learn to respectfully disagree without personal attacks.

Whilst I agree that editing 4K from a Panasonic HC-X1000, which records at 100/150Mbps, is going to require solid hardware I'm offended by the way you make your point. Your slanging match tone will do nothing to advance the discussion, where Robert's advice does.

Robert stated openly that "it wasn't his field", so there's no need for him to "reconsider his so-called expertise" because he claimed none! Robert's advice was about using a process to decrease the load on the OP's PC.

QJJOHN - Your GT640 is definitely the weak link but we all know (most of us) it's not just about GPU. If you're recording 4K on that camera, you're going to need some kind of workflow that makes editing easier.

Even though it won't help with your China clips, I'd investigate the other recording options (many) on your camera. One of the 100Mbps options might be better for you. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077993-REG/panasonic_hc_x1000_rk_ultra_hd.html

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2016 13:42

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jan den hollander,
A few of your posts have been of late likely to inflame a situation where there was none before. I'm sure that isn't your intent and you'll now er on the side of caution with how you express yourself and how you make known your views.

In my opinion a response should focus on the Original Poster's (OP) issue and not on a post or expression added by another editor. Add content only when you can help the OP.

I'd like my comments to be an end to the matter and I do not want to see this thread taken over by a tangential argument that will only "end in tears".

The Shadowman's comment, expressed in his post, re "it wasn't his field", is perfectly sound and right, I to would not be willing to give specific advice in that area, even though I build my own computers etc.

OK.
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2016 14:08

[Post New]
Well..I disagree with all of you whining about my approach.
If posters tell a bunch of crap I will tell them they do just that.
and..yes..I use my own words to say it..what's wrong with that?

What's wrong with you American pussies?
Here in Holland we say as it is without any filters.

I'm getting sick an tired with people trying to tell me where it's add.
who the h×÷%l are you to tell me how to post?

I'm a free man,and I speak from the hart.
Enough of this kind of lecture towards me from anyone here
on the board..if you find me offensive enough to ban me from
this board..then just do so.

I don't really care,because it's just a self selected few posters
who try to make everyone believe they know it all.
Sorry to disappoint you..you're far from that.

In the real editors world P.D whatever means nothing.
The reason why people pay attention to it is just because of it's so
called use of the graphicscard..which is flawed in any way.

I have little or no respect for anyone here on this board.
Because I figure you to be ignorant egois'ts in every way
you know little or nothing about editing in some professional way.
And you don't even know about that.

Got it?

Sorry..if you consider this to be of topic.
But I would appreciate you(administrator) to leave my comment
without whiping it,for all to see.
That would be a real mans action.

Jan.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Well, doesn't that prove a point.

Tony & Dafydd thanks for your support.

Robert
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Quote: Well, doesn't that prove a point.

Tony & Dafydd thanks for your support.

Robert

Point is that you are weak..not even able to give a decent response in a post.

Good luck with that..you're going to need it.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
jan den hollander,
Enough, this is a public forum and the way you are expressing yourself is not acceptable. While I welcome a forthright approach, as it livens up the forum, I am mindful of the need to balance the content and manner of what is being written. You are over stepping the mark with the use bad language and attitude. Sound off, gripe, moan, denigrate the software but do it with logic and a firm politeness, you are wrong to attack on a personal nature, very wrong. If you cant stay within the rules of the forum, leave immediately.
Dafydd
Thread closed.