Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MIDI files
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there:

Just to follow up on a previous thread on midi files for your audio tracks concisely – I mentioned the possibility of using a free program called LMMS to produce audio files from midi files. You should also get what is called a soundfont file to convert a midi file to an audiable format using this program. LMMS is a great tool but its use could be a bit intimidating to someone who isn't motivated enough.

I have tried to convert a midi file from Classical Archives using LMMS with Musyng Kite soundfont file (mine is old) and then using a free midi to mp3 converter. I must admit the result from using the latter software is very comparable to the former, if not arguably better, making it thus the way to go for most people.

That's it…

Jirka
 Filename
Vivaldi_Autumn__LMMS.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
LMMS
 Filesize
10908 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
294 time(s)
 Filename
Vivaldi_Autumn__Free_MIDI_to_MP3_Converter.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
Free MIDI to MP3 Converter
 Filesize
15920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
263 time(s)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Jirka!

As I said in my original post, now locked as it has run its course, I don't wish to cause any offence to you or anyone else, but what responses I had in the original thread led me to the point where it was not worth pursuing any solution. Those MIDI files are still where I found them but the folder I copied them to had been deleted and I won't bother trying to round them up again in future. My videos are ot posted to YouTube or Vimeo, they're burned directly to DVD or saved on an external hard drive and are intended for viewing by family or close friends. To this end I may employ commercially-sourced music or no music at all, one a few occasions I might use some of the few Smartsound tracks that were made available with Power Director, but these don't always suit my purposes, so most times I don't use music at all. That's about it for me, that's all I have to say.

Neil.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

I am not suggesting anything to anybody with my post. Someone might find it useful. I just felt I should say B when I said A…

Jirka
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for uploading the two Vivaldi_Autumn mp3. The lengths are different. Does this mean that an online converter can produce a different result than from Audacity on someone’s pc. Have many free music midi files from the internet over the years.

I have midi files back from the time from Dos/Win 3.1 with the original isa SoundBlaster card. Original were on 3.5" floppies which were backed up to my external drive. They still work on my current pc.

Have no real interest in midi files but do listen to all music. A converted midi can makes good background music for menus, slideshows, etc. No vocals just music like in classical but can be a modern day hit song. sealed
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is an example when a MIDI works well...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2016 19:56

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is what I mean, Barry. Good converted midi music can also be used on a video clip. A good example of this is shown here. Let us know if that got flagged by YT for that Hawaii 5-0 music.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
No flag. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Barry. I am happy that the music did not get flagged for copyright violation. I'll have try to some converted midi music on my YT uploads now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2016 22:39

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
OK OK,
here is my super-secret top-shelf MIDI source.
http://www.pcdon.com/midicontemporarypop.html
You can all thank me individually, or as a group, either way is fine. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you again Barry for the link to that website. I tried some of them and found the Continental, European one cause a popup window that Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. No biggie. Some of those old midi files I mentioned on the 4th thread of this post will not play on my old xp computer using soundmax but do play here on my win 7 wmp. I'll just have to save them and convert them first if desired.

Looks like another good way to put music in video, slideshows, or menus. Honestly, I prefer to use the original from like from a cd rip or a good singer. These created discs of course will never be on YT, just shared between family and friends.

Thank you Jirka.Bolech and Barry for supplying your expertise on midi files on this user forum for everyone.
Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
I didn't notice the two audo files were different lengths. It turns out the LMMS one is truncated; something must gave gone wrong when I converted from wave to mp3: my fault! Here's the file again.

Free MIDI to MP3 Converter is not an online tool. The link I put on its name goes to a web page where you can download the application to install on a Windows machine.

You are in full control of all kinds of aspects of the music in LMMS but the free convertor has no options to change. I am not very musical but you can actually compose music in LMMS. Perhaps a piece of classical music is not the best example of what you can achieve in LMMS or a similar application because it is bound to sound childish compared with human performance with real musical instruments. Maybe it is possible to produce the music more realistically this way but you would probably need high quality soundfonts and to perfect every aspect of every note played by each instrument; this is beyond my knowledge and experience though. Barry's video clip above may illustrate the possibilities someone could use for a video to publish online better…
 Filename
Vivaldi_Autumn__LMMS.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10908 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2016 11:54

Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
The file is still wrong. I'll fix it…

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2016 11:56

Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
The problem wasn't in wav -> mp3 conversion but in export from LMMS. There is a gap in the composition and the file was only exported as far as the gap. I finally used the PowerDirector 14 screen recorder to get the whole thing. I know the entire sample is not so important. It's probably more important to see that you may encounter complications while using LMMS. I think it's somehow possible to export such music with a gap but I don't have enough time to find out…
 Filename
Vivaldi_Autumn__LMMS.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15963 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
251 time(s)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, all!

My interest in this subject is at an end. The idea of converting MIDI files to any other PD-acceptable file type no longer appeals to me. It's simply not worth all the bother.

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
With all due respect, Neil, you have now posted twice on this thread to point out your lack of interest on the subject. I would appreciate you trying to restrain yourself when you get near the keyboard. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)