Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Possible to Change color of on large unequal sized item in video?
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I filmed a show in which we used an ugly red rug that doesn't match the rest of the set.

Can I choose in PD 14 "red" and change all the carpet to another color?

If yes, how? Thanks!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I filmed a show in which we used an ugly red rug that doesn't match the rest of the set.

Can I choose in PD 14 "red" and change all the carpet to another color?

If yes, how? Thanks!

Hi, Angela!

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking you could use a colour board on the Video 1 track, put your video with that "ugly red rug" on the Video 2 track and chroma-key out the red, the colour from the colour board will appear in place of the red, it's then a matter of choice what colour you want.

Cheers!

Neil.
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, how to do the chroma step and color board though?
I have never done that or accessed it, so any logicstical steps would be appreciated.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, how to do the chroma step and color board though?
I have never done that or accessed it, so any logicstical steps would be appreciated.

Okay, Angela! A step-by-step guide ay? Here we go....

1) From the Media Content, select colour boards and pick the colour you want to replace the red in that ugly old rug. Lay that colour board onto the Video 1 track(you can adjust position and length after you've placed the video with the rug on Video Track 2(PiP track).

2) Switching back to media content, you now have the clip you want to make your colour change in. Drop that onto Video Track 2.

3) here you need to see where that rug first appears and disappears and move the colour board to a point just before the rug appears, then, click on the board to highlight it and set the duration.

4) Now highlight your video and you'll see a function called "Modify" Click on it and the first thing you'll see is the chroma-key settings, click where it says Chroma-Key to "tick the box" and Chroma-Key is ready for use. Next to a chequerboarded strip is a "pippet" click there then on the right of your screen, move the scrubber to the point anywhere during where the rug appears and click on it with the pippet, the colour of the rug will disappear and the colour of the board will replace it.

I use Chroma-Key quite a lot in my videos, after a bit of practice it becomes as easy as riding a bike!

Cheers!

Neil.
angela123
[Post New]
WOW NEIL, THANKS, but some of the items that got colored are 'shaking' do you know why?
angela123
[Post New]
Also, the paint bruch pipet is too large to target a smaller area, such as shirt tie as an example.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angela -

The easiest thing to do in PDR14 - not PD8 - is to use NewBlue FX Color Swap. You'll find it in FX > NewBlue Essentials 2.

In this example I've killed off the brightness of the red a little, but it's completely adjustable.

""

It's not going to work if someone strolls across the set wearing the same coloured clothing!!! "surprised"

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Also, the paint bruch pipet is too large to target a smaller area, such as shirt tie as an example.

Hi, Angela!

Your remarks, "the paint bruch pipet is too large to target a smaller area" and "some of the items that got colored are 'shaking'", I iguess I can only put that down to the limitations of the system. Ynotfish(Tony) has added a suggestion that you might try as an alternative to my idea, using the Effects Room, the NewBlue FX Colour Swap, but even that has its deficiencies, as Tony pinted out under the image he provided.

Cheers!

Neil.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

I have PD14 Ultimate, but only New Blue FX and FX VII, not FX II. Did you buy that extra, or should that have come with Ultimate? Thanks! Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Whoops! There goes my memory again!

Dan - you're right - PDR14 came equipped with NB Essentials 1, 5 & 7. The others I have must have been from previous versions of PDR - probably PDR12.

So Angela - my suggestion above isn't going to be of any use unless you have NBFX 2. My apologies.

Neil - any chroma-keying procedure would have the same limitations, though NB Color Swap has finer controls (e.g. dry/wet mix)

Cheers - Tony
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

Took me a while to figure out what a "pippet" was. We here in the U.S. refer to it as an "eyedropper". Thanks for the guide...it works well.

Tony,

You are fortunate. I just searched NewBlue's website and didn't find a "color swap". They had 6 color replace options, but none sounded much like what you showed. Guess I'll stick with CL's chroma-key...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2016 15:58

Regards,
Dan
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
(10 core, 20M Cache),
Rene [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2015 18:26 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

just to chime in on the NewBlue plugin:
It's not available on the NewBlue site as far as I can tell. But....
It can be found in the NewBlue Video Essentials II that is offered by Cyberlink as a partner plugin.
just check the following link:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/partner-plug-ins/partner-newblue-ve2_en_EU.html

When looking at the site of NewBlue, there is actually a lot of stuff that is included in the NweBlue Video Essentials offers on the CyberLink site, which can't be bought directly from NewBlue.

with kind regards,

René
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Neil,

Took me a while to figure out what a "pippet" was. We here in the U.S. refer to it as an "eyedropper". Thanks for the guide...it works well.

Hi, Dan!

Sorry 'bout that! Being an Aussie, I tend to use Australian terminology a lot. Yes, "pippet" is an alternative name for "eyedropper".(Angela123, sorry if I've confused you on this as well). If I make references to "mobile phones", just convert that to your own term, "cell-phone". There's so much variation in language between England, Australia, Canada, and even New Zealand may have their own terms for some things.

Cheers!

Neil.
Richmond Dan
[Post New]
Yo! Who knew?

I was browsing through the standard effects available in the Effects Room in PD14. Guess what? There's an effect called "Replace Color". It'll change any color you select from your clip to any other color, and gives you the option of adjusting the sensitivity, so you can fine tune what changes and what doesn't.

Easier than chroma-key and color boards, and you can keyframe if need be. Regards,
Dan
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
(10 core, 20M Cache),
ynotfish
[Post New]
Well found Dan! What's that old saying about forests & trees???

Although "Replace Color" doesn't have the finer controls of NB's Color Swap, it does a decent job.

That might do the job for you Angela!

Cheers - Tony
angela123
[Post New]
Interesting.... Thanks.