Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re-installing PD14 after buying a new computer
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I recently (approx 2 mos ago) purchased PD14 Ultra (Upgrade from 11-13) via download. I built a new computer today and want to install PD14 on it. Can I simply download the link sent to me on my Order Confirmation? Note that there is NO Cyberlink software at all on this new computer. Will the "Upgrade" version install anyway?
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Yes…
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Well, not really. Your links won't work. They are valid for 30 days and you indicate ~2 months. http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=2316 I'd contact CL support to see if they will provide a new download link for you upon proof of purchase.

Jeff
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
I'm kind of kidding having posted just one word. However, I mean it. I've been through the same situation. In fact, purchasing the upgrade to PowerDirector made me build a new computer since I had been using a Windows XP machine as my main desktop computer and PowerDirector 14 wouldn't install on it. I had installed PowerDirector 14 on a Windows 10 laptop that didn't have any prior PowerDirector installations on it. I then used the same installation files to install PowerDirector 14 on my new desktop computer. I just also manually migrated some of the files (transitions, particle objects, and suchlike)…

Jirka
Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
Jeff is right although I believe there is an option (for a few extra bucks) to buy an extended period of time for the links to work when you are purchasing PowerDirector directly from CyberLink. I downloaded all the files soon after my purchase and just made sure they were not lost afterwards. The point is, the installation files don't need any prior installations on the particular computer you want to put your new PowerDirector on although it's referred to as an upgrade…

Jirka

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2016 18:13

Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
Thinking about it further, I imagine that my installation files would work on your computer as well. It's the registration key string that makes your installation unique and legitimate, not the installation files you download. Just my idea though! Not tested, not guaranteed…

Jirka

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2016 18:18

Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well thanks for ALL the responses LOL!

I have also submitted the question to CL Customer support and will wait for their response as well. I was pretty sure that the download files would work as long as I had the key (which is in the Order Confirmation.) I've upgraded since PD8 directly from CL, so I am a "Platinum" member, and all my purchases show up on my Cyberlink account. I'm pretty sure they won't think I'm trying to rip them off, but I wanted to find out if anyone else had gone through the experience. Thanks for the response and I'll post back here after I hear from the CL Support folks.
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Resolution: When I download purchased (or even free) software, I always save the downloaded files. I copied the downloaded files to an external hard drive, put the external hard drive on the new computer and ran the downloaded files. The installation went just as if I had downloaded the installation files directly from Cyberlink. There were no previous installations of PD on the new computer, yet the new software installed with NO PROBLEMS. The lesson to be learned here is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS save dowloaded software installation files.

BTW, the Cyberlink Customer Support response was pretty much useless. In effect, they only said " you can install the software using the same CD Key." No details on what procedure to follow.

Thanks to all who responded to my forum question.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I have all my downloaded CL installation files on my PC and an external backup hard drive. I also save the email from CL with the product key.

In spite of this, however, be aware that you also need to have internet access for the computer on which you are trying to install PD. I tried taking a thumb drive with the files and my installation keys to my remote cabin (no internet), but I couldn't make a successful installation. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow...that's good to know. I never thought about that. We are moving to a remote location w/o internet access too. I'm glad I installed PD beforehand.