Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Particle parameters
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I think I've read whatever documentation exists for the particle effect parameters, but I'm not able to match the descriptions to the results. More likely, I'm not understanding how they work. I'm experimenting with the "rain curtain" emitter type.

The description of the "particle life" parameter says that a value of 100 will give you particles that last the entire length of the clip; but when I set the life to 100 I get particles that (in the designer window) simply flash into existence and then disappear.

Okay, so the description of the "life variation" says that a value of 50 would mean that half of my particles would live for the entire length of the clip. That might be true, but with the particles flashing the way they are it's hard to tell. If, instead, I leave the "particle life" at 100 and change the variation to 5000, then I get particles that behave the way I'd expect: some of the particles last for a long time and some don't.

Changing the speed plays into this phenomenon, because it controls whether or not the particles get as far as I want before they disappear. That makes sense, although the units are undefined.

The interactions between the parameters seem hard to control, in that the numbers don't seem to mean anything. It seems like the only way to get results anywhere near what I want is to

1. Move the scrubber to where I want to see my desired result (typically the end of the particle designer's timeline)

2. Set the emit rate and max count to get the density I want

3. Crank the life up to a very large number

4. Set the life variation to zero

5. Adjust the speed so that the particles just reach their destinations

6. Adjust the life so that they live just long enough to reach their destinations

7. Set the life variation so that some of the particles "die off" before they get to the end of their travels

8. Set the speed variation so that the speeds vary the way I want

Steps 5 through 8 are basically trial and error, and I'm not even sure the results are repeatable.

In my case, I want the particles to get to travel from the top to the bottom of the TV safe zone. I wound up with

• Emit rate: 200

• Max count: 20

• Life: 5000

• Live variation: 75

• Speed: 9.5

• Speed variation: 100

With the exception of max count, the other numbers were a combination of guesswork and random fiddling.

Note that I haven't dared to introduce keyframes.

So, what am I missing? Is there a better, more predictable, way to set these values? Jerry Schwartz
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jerry -

First up, I think the help file may require a bit of an update. You probably realsied that when the maximum "life" is 50000 (not 100).

The little I've used particles, I've found that there's a fair bit of trial & error & a good part of the time I'm sailing blind. Particles and me? Well - "unpredictable" puts it nicely.

Prompted by your post, however, I'll investigate further.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Jerry -

First up, I think the help file may require a bit of an update. You probably realsied that when the maximum "life" is 50000 (not 100).

The little I've used particles, I've found that there's a fair bit of trial & error & a good part of the time I'm sailing blind. Particles and me? Well - "unpredictable" puts it nicely.

Prompted by your post, however, I'll investigate further.

Cheers - Tony

Hi, Tony!

I've found that not all those particle effects can be superimposed over other video content. Some, yes, but not all. I discovered this through trial & error.

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Neil -

There's no trial & error about that aspect of particle designer. Some particle templates have a background track (i.e. an image/colour board).

To be able to see the video clip, you just disable or delete the background track.

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Neil -

There's no trial & error about that aspect of particle designer. Some particle templates have a background track (i.e. an image/colour board).

To be able to see the video clip, you just disable or delete the background track.

Cheers - Tony

Hmmmm.... Wasn't aware of that! Will try a few sometime soon. Y'know, "suck it and see"! Thanks Tony!

Cheers!

Neil.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
It's been a while, so I guess nobody has had much luck.

It's annoying that what seem to be straightforward names and numbers are so hard to grasp.

Even if the help file were accurate, it would still be mysterious. If setting the particle size variation to 50 means that half of the particles will be x size, what happens to the other half? Jerry Schwartz
ynotfish
[Post New]
G'day Jerry -

To try make sense of the parameters variation thing, I started with a "fresh slate" and made a new particle object, I set the Emit Method to Line (rain shower) & adjusted ONLY the life, size & speed variation settings.

Indeed, setting all three to 000.000 produced NO variation in life, size or speed. As the settings were increased so did the level of variation.

Screen captured here - https://youtu.be/ADn9J8Titn8

Cheers - Tony