Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Warning for length of subtitles when duration is longer than min accepted
[Post New]
Good morning, everyone. I have just updated to PD14 and was practing with the software. I am still relatively new to filmmaking and editing so I could just be missing something. I entered in a subtitle that initally was set to 10 seconds in length. It was set to start at the beginning of the video. When I tried to add a second one, I got the message in the screenshot attached. I increased the duration to 20 seconds but still got the error message when trying to add the second subtitle. So I previwed the video to make sure I was correct in thinking that a 00:00:20:00 duration was in fact 20 seconds - 18 seconds longer than the warning message indicated as the minimum length. Then I changed the duration to 8 seconds. After that, I was able to add a second subtitle.

When I tried to add a third, I got the warning message again. So I did the same thing with the second subtitle that I did with the first - edited it to 20 seconds, then to 8. Still got the warning. I previewed the video. Still got the message. Changed the duration on the second subtitle again, still got the message. I can't seem to find the "pretty please" action that will let me add a third subtitle.

So is this a glitch or am I missing something? It can't be this difficult to add subtitles.
[Thumb - Warning message for min duration for subtitles.png]
 Filename
Warning message for min duration for subtitles.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
104 time(s)
Luthien Tinuviel
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Luthientinuviel!

I'm just wondering if you're trying to add "captions" describing something on-screen, for which, the "titles" function is your best bet.

If, however, you're translating a spoken language(perhaps French or German[Franzoesich oder Deutsch]) and want to give an English translation, but only when called up by the DVD player's subtitle facility, then it appears this may be something else Cyberlink needs to sort out. By rights, you should be able to insert as many subtitles as required, and have them appear as long as required when called up on a DVD(or Blu-Ray) player's subtitle function. Many of Cyberlink's so-called "innovations" are turning out to be design faults instead. This is just one more to add to the list!

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Luthientinuviel -

In video language, 0.2 seconds is 6 frames in a 30fps timeline. That's 00:00:00:06.

When you're adding subtitles, that alert will pop up if you forget to move the timeline marker/scrubber before adding a new subtitle marker.

Neil - it's not an innovation nor a design fault, and there's no conspiracy theory attached to it. It's just what happens.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Tony!

I'm not saying there's any conspiracy going on here, it's just that with some of these features, people who attempt to use them are experiencing problems of uncooperative features, that's why I referred to them as design faults. Some features are new, some have been around from several versions back through Power Director's history. Some of these features are easy to use, some may, or will cause problems. It's where they're causing problems that I deem them to be "design faults". the phrase is intended to nudge Cyberlink into straightening them out and make them easier to use and work with.

Cheers!

Neil.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
"the phrase is intended to nudge Cyberlink into straightening them out and make them easier to use and work with."

Shouldn't you be communicating this directly to Cyberlink, rather than posting them on a user-to-user forum? Kind of like peeing in a navy blue suit: gives you a warm feeling, but nobody much notices.
Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: "the phrase is intended to nudge Cyberlink into straightening them out and make them easier to use and work with."

Shouldn't you be communicating this directly to Cyberlink, rather than posting them on a user-to-user forum? Kind of like peeing in a navy blue suit: gives you a warm feeling, but nobody much notices.

Hi, Dan!

I'd expect someone at Cyberlink would be reading the posts in these forums, otherwise, why bother with the "Suggestions For PD15" thread?

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I got a notice that an answer to my post on this thread has received a reply, I click on the link, and I see that it is MY OWN post! I've asked this a few times before, but I'll ask again, WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON, HERE? I should only be notified if someone else replies to a post I make. Has anyone else had this experience?

Cheers!

Neil.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil.F.1955,
Yep, I have had the same. The problem is known to CyberLink.
Dafydd
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Neil.F.1955,
Yep, I have had the same. The problem is known to CyberLink.
Dafydd

Hi, Dafydd B!

Sure can be annoying, can't it?

Cheers!

Neil.