Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Authored BDMV playing errors/issues
JITF [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spatial Incognito Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:07 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

First time posting here, so I'll be as brief and to the point as possible and thank you in advance to anyone that can be of any help. I've done my due dilligence scouring Google and elsewhere to no avail.

Firstly, here's my hardware/software info:

PowerDirector 14 Ultimate 14.0.2302.0

SR: VDE151023-03

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5771- CPU @ 3.50 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

Blu-Ray Drive/Burner: ASUS BW-12D1S-U USB Device (External Drive)

PS4 Version 3.15

Now, my questions/issues: I'm aware that not all Blu-Ray players or gaming consoles play Blu-Ray discs burned with the BDMV format. I'm also aware that there are some firmware updates to correct this issue or that burning with the CERTIFICATE folder should/can wash aside these issues in most instances. However, this is not the case with respect to my circumstance.

I authored a BD using the aforementioned BDMV format with PD14 of family home videos. When playing the disc on my PS4 or my standalone Sony Blu-Ray player, the main/root menu comes up with no issue. However, the problem lies in that when I select play or select any specific scene there is either a tremendous lag/freeze time, followed by the audio of the selection being able to be heard but with a black/blank screen.

Now, in order to troubleshoot I obviously tested my authored BD on my computer with both PowerDVD 14 and the latest version of VLC. PowerDVD 14 is able to play the BD, but with a strange exception. No matter what scene I select or what I do, it starts from the very beginning of the disc's footage and I cannot skip around/forward anywhere else. With VLC, essentially the same thing happens as with my PS4/Blu-Ray Player, where the menu loads, but then I tell it to play and the video screen of the VLC GUI disappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies as I'm new to authoring Blu-Ray discs, so if this is a common problem and there's an obvious answer to this I wasn't aware or able to find it.

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2016 13:02

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a screen pic of your "2D Disc" settings page in the "Create Disc" module so one can see just what format BDMV you are creating? A pic of the "Burn in 2D" tab would also be helpfull.

Jeff
JITF [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spatial Incognito Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:07 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can you post a screen pic of your "2D Disc" settings page in the "Create Disc" module so one can see just what format BDMV you are creating? A pic of the "Burn in 2D" tab would also be helpfull.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for your response. Below are the images you requested.

One thing I happened to just think of while looking at the 2D tab was the video format of "Widescreen 16:9". My home videos are old, so they are naturally in 4:3. Would this cause such an error as I previosly mentioned? Of course, there's no other option selectable, so if this is the case, I may just be out of luck...in which case, is there a way to burn 4:3 videos to a blu-ray disc with menus?

http://i63.tinypic.com/28gxwdk.png

http://i64.tinypic.com/24c5f9k.png

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2016 15:54

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, 1 of the right pics which was very helpful. After you click the "Burn in 2D" tab in the lower right corner, the "Final Output" dialog window comes up, capture the screen then and post.

If you want you can simply use "postreply" in the lower left corner beneath the message and then use the blue "Attachments" icon just below the response input window to attach your pics. You can attach up to 3 at a time. The attach feature is not available if you use the "Quick Reply" directly under the message.

Jeff
JITF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff, Here is the screenshot you requested. Thanks again for the help.
[Thumb - BurnIn2D.png]
 Filename
BurnIn2D.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
34 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, that gives a good look at what you are doing. Since you cut off the top of the pics, not sure if you have a 4:3 project or 16:9 setting, other than you indicated 4:3 old clips. The create disc module in PD often appears rather problomatic/tempermental for many. If you don't have a 25GB BD-RE disc, I'd invest in one. You can write to it more than once so you don't end up with a bunch of BD-R coasters. I'd probably suggest the following to try.

1) Not knowing exactly what's in your timeline, other than some old videos as you state, I'd make sure pref > Hardware Acceleration both item there are not checked
2) You overall BDMV setting look okay for now, if you want, DD 2 channel can save a fair amount of space vs LPCM which you have selected and usually does not create any issues
3) Your mp3 for background music can be a issue. It really depends on the details of the mp3. Best is to convert it to wav file and use that, they rarely cause a issue
4) I'd make sure the "Hardware video encoder" is unchecked at the bottom of your BurnIn2D.png pic
5) Try to burn your project again

Try playback on your PS4 or Sony player and see how it goes.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2016 19:16

JITF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, that gives a good look at what you are doing. Since you cut off the top of the pics, not sure if you have a 4:3 project or 16:9 setting, other than you indicated 4:3 old clips. The create disc module in PD often appears rather problomatic/tempermental for many. If you don't have a 25GB BD-RE disc, I'd invest in one. You can write to it more than once so you don't end up with a bunch of BD-R coasters. I'd probably suggest the following to try.

1) Not knowing exactly what's in your timeline, other than some old videos as you state, I'd make sure pref > Hardware Acceleration both item there are not checked
2) You overall BDMV setting look okay for now, if you want, DD 2 channel can save a fair amount of space vs LPCM which you have selected and usually does not create any issues
3) Your mp3 for background music can be a issue. It really depends on the details of the mp3. Best is to convert it to wav file and use that, they rarely cause a issue
4) I'd make sure the "Hardware video encoder" is unchecked at the bottom of your BurnIn2D.png pic
5) Try to burn your project again

Try playback on your PS4 or Sony player and see how it goes.

Jeff

Jeff,

I took your advice/suggestions and reburned last night. I'm not sure which one of the suggestions did the trick but it worked! I am truly thankful for your help. As I had explained these are home videos and I'm making this compilation to send out to family members, so I was extremely bummed out when the burning process didn't work.

Thanks again, take care.

- Lance