Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HDD/SDD best set up
rrodgers [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2015 18:16 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I searched for anything to do with HDD/SDD and didn't find anything other than on Google about other software.

My question:

I have 2 x SSD (250gb) 1 x 1tb WD Black HDD, what is the best use of these three drivesl.

examples:

OS and PD on 1 SSD, sourse files on WD Black and render to 2nd SDD

or OS + PD + Sourse files on 1 SSD and render to 2nd SSD and backup/store on WD Black

I thought about RAIDing the 2 SSD's but I would like to have a 3rd SSD to do that so I could keep my system on 1 and RAID the other 2.

OR Does something else make since that I am not seeing.

Thanks in advance.

Rodney
[Post New]
Rendering on SSD will just damage them quicker and will not add any speed.

The encoding speed is not limited by the HDD speed.
rrodgers [Avatar]
[Post New]
So what you are saying is I should put

OS and PD on 1 SSD, Source files on 2nd SSD and render on the HDD.

That way the SSD's are mostly being read and the HDD is being written to, which from my understanding the writes are what degrade the SSD over time.

I saw in another forum they recommended video source on one drive and render on another so they are not competing for drive time. Have you/anyone heard this?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I saw in another forum they recommended video source on one drive and render on another so they are not competing for drive time. Have you/anyone heard this?

Yes, less wear and tear on the drive head actuators since they have to read data from one spot and write it on the other spot if on only one drive. This cause the sound of the actuators moving back and forth constantly and what in the past called a noisy drive.
[Post New]
Well, the HDD's that I have lasted well beyond their "moral" life span. Actuators are not wearing at all, I still have functional HDD's that are under 500MB in size - not worth using anymore.
Writes on an SSD will kill it faster.

However, the read/write speed during encoding is like 20 times below what a 7200rpm HDD can deal with...

I have 3 HDD in a RAID5 and another external one, for pure storage, connected via eSATA.
SSD hold the OS and all the installed software. No swap file (I have 15GB or RAM). No indexing for "fast search" either.
rrodgers [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help, I have 2 freenas servers for my storage 1 in RAID 5 and the other in RAID 10 (if I remember correct I built them a few years back) My wife takes a lot of pictures and if I lost any it would be the end of me so the 2 servers backup to each other plus I have an external for the most important stuff just in case. It is good to know encoding doesn't require more than 7200rpm. I just ordered my Win10 and will be installing it tonight unfortunately I have to go out of town over the weekend so it will be next week before I am up and editing. Thanks again for all your help!!
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]

Configure the two SSDs in RAID 0 using a dedicated card. Put Systemm and PD there, a la Linus here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUyRE7ZhCY

Ghost an image of your C:\ drive on the WD Black, using the rest of this drive just for storage.