Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow doing a save
[Post New]
Whenever I press Ctrl+S to save my projects, it is very slow doing so, even though all my files (including the Windows Video directory) are on an SSD drive. The step "Saving title thumbnails" is very slow, even though there is only one title in the project (with a background picture). Using Windows 10-1511. Any ideas? Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I use Ctrl+Shift+S and that takes me to the last place I saved to for a project. I save to a new name (add a numerical structure to the named file 001.pds, 002.pds) each time
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2016 08:06

[Post New]
Boy this is really getting frustrating. Up until now this nuiscance (going back many releases) I've put up with. But now I'm doing over two dozen videos for this web site: http://jackdunnstories.weebly.com I have a powerful PC that renders videos like crazy. But every time I save my work as I'm going along I have to twiddle my thumbs for a few minutes as PD saves chapter thumbnails. Also, every once in a while PD goes into limbo for a few minutes, and I'm sure it's because of auto save. These clips are only 20 minutes with one title in them. I never need chapters as I only make MP4's for YouTube upload. I've monitored system resources with the task manager (Win 10) and the system is never stressed in terms of resources -- plenty of memory, cpu cycles, and disk speed to the SSD drive. Shadow files are going to the SSD drive because I moved the "Videos" directory there. IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF OR DISABLE SAVING CHAPTER THUMBNAILS! Stuff like this promulgates our love/hate relationship with PD!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2016 21:05

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
[Post New]
Does anybody know where the title thumbnails and chapter thumbnails are saved? I did some performance monitoring and this slowdown is not caused by lack of cpu cycles or memory. However disk access is high. I couldn't find anything in any *.ini files that says where the thumbnails are saved. I thought perhaps if I could insure they are being saved on the SSD drive the Ctrl+S save would reduce from minutes to seconds. Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That information would be saved in the .pds file. You don't need to create chapter thumbnails or menus ro produce a file.
ronaldoG [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bonnie Scotland Joined: Jan 27, 2016 06:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I have had exactly the same problem, and have to go make a coffee while PD14 goes through saving chapter thumbnails, then title thumbnails.

On my current project of about 85 mins length, I've also had it stop at 100% saving, but then hangs. I have to restart PD14, and it sometimes will offer to restart from a temporary file saved earlier (in autosave??). If not, I have to go back to an earlier PDS file.

When this problem reared early in the edit, I started a new PDS save after every few edits, particularly major/tricky ones. I'm using very basic transitions/ fades etc. I'd hate to see what happens when I use some of the complex ones on offer!!

Today I've only managed about 70 various edits, as every third or fourth sends PD14 very sleepy, and sloth-like slow!!

Now trying to burn a disc, but dreadfully slow on accepting each mouse-click/command. Takes 10s of seconds to respond.

I checked my task manager as well, and it gives no hints!!

Hopefully somone can help with what is becoming a common problem. Editing PC = Win10; i7 6700K; 16GB; SSDs + HDDs.
[Post New]
ronaldoG - Hi. I have had exactly the same problem, and have to go make a coffee while PD14 goes through saving chapter thumbnails, then title thumbnails
-------------------------------------------
We are likely jousting at windmills on this issue, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this. The PC I am using for video editing has 8M ram, I7 3.4ghz processor, Geforce 660 GPU, and all my video files and the "\VIDEO" directory are on an SSD drive. Latest drivers everywhere. Previewe window small and standard (not high res). Yet yesterday PD14 went into "sloth" mode with insanely slow response on everything. Even restarting PD did not help. Performance trace showed no shortages of resources anywhere ( worst case: 35% cpu, 40% ram, no disk bottleneck). When I render videos they render at 3 video minutes per clock minute. I did a performance trace on doing a CTRL+S save and during the minutes it's waiting for "saving xyz thumbnails" it can see NO hardware resources being used. It's like PD does a "wait 30 seconds" event between every CPU instruction. The video was 7 minutes long, had 2 PIP pictures, and fades at both ends. No excuse for why PD decided to shift into first gear on the editing mode.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2016 18:30

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've had a bit of a slow save on a project with 38 tracks and a hang, so there maybe an issue. Do not over write a previously saved pds file.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PDuser97031B,
8gb of ram may be too light for what you're trying to achieve when editing/saving. I suggest you up it to 16gb.A screenshot of your Edit workspace/your project institu would help members give further suggestions. In a short project with 15 tracks full of 1080p 24mbps mp4's I didn't encounter the same delay but the save fuction does jump about popping up "thumbnails", but saved fine.
Just a suggetion/opinion.
Dafydd
[Post New]
Performance monitoring done during the editing and save processes show a max RAM usage of 28%. Remember these are single track short videos with maybe 2 or 3 10 second PIP pictures in them. You can view them here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHGIC_di2toV0witZw6epzg

The slow save only occurs when the video track has been changed such that new thumbnails need to be built. I have a hunch that this process is not exploiting the GPU hardware acceleration.

If you Google slow save in PD you find complaints going back several years. Most postings indicated the user thinks that PD has hung, but it's just very slow, and they think it's hung. I hesitate to buy new hardware when PD works fine other than this, and renders at the rate of 3 video minutes per clock minute (fast rendering).

In any case, thanks for your input. :o)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PDuser97031B, in PD14 pref > Editing untick the "Enable continuous thumbnails" and see if you have any better luck with save performance.

Jeff
[Post New]
JL_JL: Yes, I already have that turned off. No diff.

Dafydd B: For some reason I had "Enable HD video processing (shadow file)" in the General Preferences turned off. I enabled it and saves are now noticeably faster, and the overall editing process is "smoother" (less unexplained waits). Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)