Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 14 & Other Editing Software Thoughts/Opinions
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All -

Looking for a little input and advice.

I am self-taught when it comes to video editing, I'm not a Novice, but not an expert either. My main goal is to make Home Movies for my Family from time to time, and I really enjoy 'jazzing them up', and making a little more fun to watch.

I have been "communicating" ( I use that term very loosley ) with Cyberlink's Tech Support via e-mail, over getting the repeated Blue Screen of Death, it's the exact same error every time, " KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE ". I only get this when using PD 14 on my new laptop. My Dell Tech even did a 3 way call with Cyberlink and Myself to help fix this issue. After a week of this - still no resolution.

I'm starting to wonder if I need to change to a different brand of editing sofrware all together? I really don't want to, as I am now familiar with the layout, etc in PD. I really enjoy this program, but if I can't get it to work - what's the point?

So....I'm looking to you good people to hopefully give a suggestion on a different route of Software. I'm going to give this a little longer before possibly switching, but am starting to think over my options.

Thank you!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
OK, let's see if some of the smarties here can assist.
Would you please attach a dxdiag from your machine?
Also, what version and build of PD are you using? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
BarryTheCrab,

Sure thing, thanks. DxDiag is attached.

I recently bought PowerDirector 14, Ultimate Suite.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
360 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2016 09:54

Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
One other quick note, that I find puzzling.

Last night, I was able to successfully burn a small, 30 minute long video project, and I didn't get the Blue Screen Crash, with that security error. This morning, I've tried three times to pull up PD 14 (via right clicking on the PD icon, and clicking Run as Admin), and all three times it crashed right away.

The video looked and sounded great (on the blu-ray player that worked).
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Good job getting that file, now don't look for an answer from ME, I'm just the greeter at the door for things like this, but there are numerous folks here who have vast knowledge of the inner-workings of computers and OS, so good luck. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: BarryTheCrab,

Sure thing, thanks. DxDiag is attached.

I recently bought PowerDirector 14, Ultimate Suite.
I looked at you DXdiag.txt file, Thanks for the upload.

You have a bunch of Blue Screen of Death, (Crash City!)

There is a newer Graphics driver on Intel Download Center that may solve the BSODs.

I did a search of Intel download center for your HD Graphics 530.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

The above driver is a newer one than the one installed on your computer. No guarantee It will fix your problems, but it is the first course of action the stop the BSODs.

Yes, I see the later posts.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2016 10:25

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,

Thanks a lot for your reply - I greatly appreciate it.

Forgive me, I'm not the most tech-savy person out there, but can follow along and understand fairly well.

I am game to download and try the udated Graphics driver on the Intel site.

This new laptop of mine, aslo has the NVIDIA Geforce GTX independet graphics card. Wouldn't/Shoudln't that lone do the trick?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jerosmith1980 ,
In my opinion your BSOD is indicative of a hardware failure induced by what? Video editing is the most stressful operation a home computer/laptop can undertake where all of your resources are being used at the same time. You are not going to get the BSOD resolved here by members in my opinion. We are tech savvy etc but there are limits to locating an issue based on the hardware failure of another editor's computer who has limited experience. Take your computer back to where you bought it from or the guarantor and have them carry out stress testing of the internal part of your computer. They may even wipe your hard drive and start again and may even pull out the internals to check... mobo, ram, gpu's etc.
While I'm confident to rip my own computer apart, rebuild it.. a laptop is something else.
Take it to a techie.
This isn't a PDR14 issue in my opinion - it's a computer failing.
Just my opinion.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2016 11:45

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a way in looking at the DxDiag.txt to determine if the Geforce Experience is installed. This might be helpful for those with NVidia cards.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Jerosmith1980!

I may be completely off-base with this, but, judging by some comments made elsewhere on this forum, a lot of people seem to be having crashing of their PD14 caused by that GeForce driver software. GeForce may well be the culprit, going by what I've read of late.

Cheers!

Neil.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's my 10p worth ... I use a bog standard Toshiba Laptop with Win8.1 and Classic Shell.

Dunno what the graphics card is (if it has one) I just looked it says Intel HD.

Anyway I must say the PD14 does the fastest renders I've ever known and I've never had a lockup at any time.

Cheers - Jem
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Here's my 10p worth ... I use a bog standard Toshiba Laptop with Win8.1 and Classic Shell.

Dunno what the graphics card is (if it has one) I just looked it says Intel HD.
Oh, it has one if your have an image on the screen.

The graphics card may not be an actual card that is plugged into the motherboard, most likely it is an integrated chip soldered on the motherboard or if you have an Intel CPU, built into the CPU.

Anyway I must say the PD14 does the fastest renders I've ever known and I've never had a lockup at any time.

Cheers - Jem
I can't say PD 14 is any faster rendering than some other versions of Powerdirector. It maybe faster when using hardware rendering. But I found that the SVRT engine tends to skip things that are about 5 seconds on the timeline. SVRT just leaves some video out completely. PD 13 never did that.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.