Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New editing PC for PD14
rattlinjack [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Joined: May 18, 2011 06:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
OK I've had a quick search on here, nothing specific comes up regarding PCs suitable for editing with PowerDirector 14.

I'm about to assemble a new PC that will be used 100% for editing only, using PD14, Color Director, etc..

The information I'm looking for is mainly regarding GPUs!

So the question is, which GPU will I need to get the most out of PD14 on a windows based system?

Will be using the intel 4790k with asus 797-A MOBO.

Jack
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
G'day, RattlinJack!

You're not far from me! I'm up here in Port Stephens!, Just a little under 60 Km to the north, by any chance are you in my old stomping ground of Stockton?.

As to your question of a PC for Power Director 14, any storebought"off-the-shelf) computer will do. Just don't load it with anything more than PD14 and its ancilliary "bits & bobs"(Colour Director, Screen Recorder, etc.). Windows Movie Maker comes as a stock-standard part of Windows but it's pretty useless in real terms for editing video, so just ignore it. Babout the only other software you may need is Microsoft Office(fonts for titling will be in there and shared with any PD version used by yourself). Microsoft Paint, like Movie Maker, is part and parcel of any Windows package. In all there'll be stuff that gets automatically installed with Windows that you can't uninstall without causing damage to the Windows platform, they're inescapable. The only otherthing you'll need is a good printer(preferrably with label printing capability) And that's it. If you are to build one from scratch, when you install Windows(be it 7, 8 or even 10), you'll get all that baggage(Movie Maker, Paint, games) anyway. Other than that, just load your PD14, Office, printer software and that's it!

Cheers!

Neil.

P.S. I'll be at Stockton on New Year's Eve, capturing the fireworks from somewhere near the ferry wharf at 9.00pm.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome

Quote:
The information I'm looking for is mainly regarding GPUs! ...

Jack

GTX 950 or GTX 960

happy new year.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
rattlinjack [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Joined: May 18, 2011 06:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies!

Neil.f1955, gday young man, I'm from the Lake area, Valentine.. Don't go overseas much these days, but used to surf Stockton a lot when I was younger. Will be looking after a house full of grandkids tonight, "NEW YEARS EVE" Woo Hoo... But we can see the lakeside fireworks from here, might take some footage of that.

I guess I should have explained my editing needs more clearly.

My projects are usually 200GB or more, "Wedding Videos". A mixture of Pro res 100mbit, 4K 100mbit, .mov 50mbit and mp4 24mbit footage from various cameras.

I have been using a PC that I assembled a couple of years ago= Z77 Pro4 MOBO, GTX550TI GPU, i7 CPU, 16G Ram, Caviar Black HD for operating system, plus 3 other internal Caviar Black HDs for rendering to, and storage.

This thing works great on smaller projects, but not good when it's working with 100Gig plus.

I understand that different editing programs have their own hardware requirements for optimum performance. I've made the decision to go with PowerDirector, as it suits my needs just fine..

I figured that this would be the best place to seek information regarding hardware that Powerdirector will be happiest with.

I reckon it will take me a month to get all the parts I need for the new Puta, bit low on funds after xmas.

So thanks for the tip for the GTX 960 PepsiMan!

I will be back to ask about how to enable the CUDA or open CL or whatever this thing will need to work best........
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ha-ha, I like this! I'm past my 60th birthday and RattlinJack's calling me "Young Man"!

RJ's comment: My projects are usually 200GB or more, "Wedding Videos"...... 200 Gigabytes! Ouch! That's 2-fifths of an average hard-drive's capacity swallowed up in one gulp! Digital indigestion! ha-ha! None of my clips come anywhere near that size of file. Surely that's gotta be a typo error - You may have accidentally typed in an extra unintentional zero and actually meant to say 20GB! I just don't see how a typical (produced) clip could get that big, whether it was MPEG-2, MP4, AVCHD, AVI or other file type. Such a file size would never go on a disc, even blu-ray discs couldn't accomodate a file that size. Uploading to YouTube would be absolutely impossible! Nah, It's definitely gotta be a typo error!

Cheers!

Neil.
rattlinjack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ha-ha, I like this! I'm past my 60th birthday and RattlinJack's calling me "Young Man"!

RJ's comment: My projects are usually 200GB or more, "Wedding Videos"...... 200 Gigabytes! Ouch! That's 2-fifths of an average hard-drive's capacity swallowed up in one gulp! Digital indigestion! ha-ha! None of my clips come anywhere near that size of file. Surely that's gotta be a typo error - You may have accidentally typed in an extra unintentional zero and actually meant to say 20GB! I just don't see how a typical (produced) clip could get that big, whether it was MPEG-2, MP4, AVCHD, AVI or other file type. Such a file size would never go on a disc, even blu-ray discs couldn't accomodate a file that size. Uploading to YouTube would be absolutely impossible! Nah, It's definitely gotta be a typo error!

Cheers!

Neil.

What I mean to say is that I have at least 200GB of Camera footage per project to edit. I work solo, so I set up multiple cameras, utilising tripods, a steadycam rig, slider rig and shoulder rigs. My main camera, records to a NINJA Recorder, "Prores 100mbits". This camera alone racks up over 120GB of recorded video, and I'm using the lowest bit rate available on that recorder.

So the old PUTA stuggles to deal with all that data, no matter what editing software I use.

It all ends up rendered to normal DVD and Blu Ray files, as well as HD files on Flash media.

The HD files are usually around 8GB to 10GB each.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, RattlinJack! Happy New Year!

I get it now, you've spread that 200 gigabytes over several cameras' storage(hard-drives and/or SD cards). so that the combined total of shots adds up to 200 GB.....Whew! That's a relief! A typical SD card, or micro-SD card goes up to 32 GB capacity, though the capacity of those cameras with internal hard-drives could go as high as 500 GB but a lot of earlier models only went as high as 80 to 100 GB. I generally have a 16 GB SD card in my camera which gives me about 4 hours in MP4 or AVCHD(Canon Legria HF R506) or over 7 hours in MPEG2(Panasonic SDR-S7 or SDR-S71, but the S71's screen went funny on me a few months back and I haven't used it since). So the combined total of those three cameras falls short of 100 GB, but then I'm not using them all at once these days. The trick with me is that the shots I take may be clips of a coule of minutes each, joined together(edited) to form the whole movie, but the movie itself may run to about 2 gigabytes, more or less. so my work is clearly dwarfed by what you're doing.

Cheers!

Neil.
rattlinjack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: welcome

Quote:
The information I'm looking for is mainly regarding GPUs! ...

Jack

GTX 950 or GTX 960

Thanks again for the tip PepsiMan!

Grabbed the GTX960, tried it in my old Desktop with PD12, Huge improvement over my old GTX550Ti.

CPU usage during render has gone from 100% to 22%-30%.

I just rendered a 50min project to AVCHD which ended up being 17GB, took 41 minutes to render.

The project files were a mad mix of 25p, 50p, slow mo, cropping, fades, lots of enhancing, etc.

I used the driver from the CD that came with the Graphics card, 9.18.13. 4788, if that means anything to anyone else.

Just hope this all works with the new system using PD14.........
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
good for you. rattlinjack.

may I also interest you in this link?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46135.page#238802

9.18.13. 4788 means you have driver version 347.88 WHQL.

i have v347.25 with PD14 Ultimate b2019 and no problems from the beginning.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2016 07:11

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, RattlinJack!

Good to see you've resolved your issues with editing and the software. I also note you've amended your profile to show you as from Lake MacQuarie rather than Newcastle(note the upper-case Q there, the name always looked wrong to me with a lower-case Q). I noted your completed clip ran to 17 gigabytes, A blu-ray disc will have "just enough" space with a bit left over for the file, should you burn it to disc, AVCHD rendering, I tried it once when editing a project for Rod Breis's Hunter TV, it took forever to complete so I vowed never again to render to anything other than MPEG2. When it takes well over an hour to render a 10-or-so minute clip in AVCHD against a few minutes to render in MPEG2, then MPEG2 wins that race and leaves AVCHD at the starting gate. Ouch!

Cheers!

Neil.
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]

"Windows Movie Maker...pretty useless in real terms for editing video, so just ignore it."

I disagree.

I think this is a great program to get started on before advancing to next level PD.

Most hobbyists could accomplish all they wanted without going beyond Movie Maker.

Also, don't neglect to download these 3 other free & lost of fun video programs also provided by MS Research: cliplets, hyperlapse & ICE.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/applications.htm
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Also, don't neglect to download these 3 other free & lost of fun video programs also provided by MS Research: cliplets, hyperlapse & ICE.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/applications.htm

That is a great that you brought this up. I used photo story in the past. There are many great apps out there.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, All,

Whomever said: "Windows Movie Maker...pretty useless in real terms for editing video, so just ignore it.", I have to agree(was it me who said that?, I'm not sure. I've been looking for the quote in previous posts in this thread). Windows is not user-friendly, at least not the version in Windows 7. plus there's no provision I could find anywhere to capture from VCRs via a "capture card" device. so I tend to dismiss Windows Movie Maker as a lost cause. I have Power Director, versions 8 and 14(both"Ultra"), and while PD14 has some "innovations"(in Cyberlink's eyes) that I class as "design faults", nonetheless, Power Director is far superior to Windows Movie Maker, ease of use is the overall important feature that puts PD way ahead of WMM.

Cheers!

Neil.