Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 13 What Music is 'Allowed' to be Part of a Produciton, on YouTube, etc...? - SOLVED
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've been reading some related threads - but I haven't seen one that comes right out and states that music CD's and the downloaded music content that I purchased from iTunes, is allowed when someone makes a 'movie' (or a video clip) and posts it on YouTube or similar social sharing sites. I believe that I can produce a video for my own personal use with copy-written music - FOR MY OWN PERSONAL use... right? It's jsut when the situation is that I want to post something on the internet - that I believe copy-written music may have a issue.

Is this where the 'magicmusic' (or maybe it's called something else or there are similar music substitutes) comes into play? Does this or other similar music NOT have the copy-write issues attached/associated to it?

Would "Royalty Free" music be allowed - legally - to be part of a video uploaded to YouTube (or the similar) sites?

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 29. 2015 09:41

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The use of music has many variations/restrictions.
Some "popular" music is allowed on YouTube, to the extent that you'll get DINGED by YT and suffer an advertisement on the lower portion of your video.
Other "popular" music will be flagged and muted, depends on the artists.
Much of the free music you find on the internet will require you to give a credit, but also restrict you to non-profit viewing.
A great deal of low-priced music also has restrictions, and many have several levels of restrictions, depending on how you use it.
Each site/writer will have their own set of rules, you'll have to treat them as such.
Even Smartsound, which formerly had a fairly easy rulebook, now has several levels, again on how it is used, and to some extent on when it was purchased.
Royalty free does not always mean free of payment or restriction. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've been reading some related threads - but I haven't seen one that comes right out and states that music CD's and the downloaded music content that I purchased from iTunes, is allowed when someone makes a 'movie' (or a video clip) and posts it on YouTube or similar social sharing sites. I believe that I can produce a video for my own personal use with copy-written music - FOR MY OWN PERSONAL use... right? It's jsut when the situation is that I want to post something on the internet - that I believe copy-written music may have a issue.

Is this where the 'magicmusic' (or maybe it's called something else or there are similar music substitutes) comes into play? Does this or other similar music NOT have the copy-write issues attached/associated to it?

Would "Royalty Free" music be allowed - legally - to be part of a video uploaded to YouTube (or the similar) sites?

CS

Hi, CS!

First of all I must correct you, it's not copy-write but copyright! Cpoy-write is when you take a printed sheet of content, then write on a blank sheet, verbatim, the content of the other sheet. Copyright, on the other hand, is the legal provision to protect a composer or author from unauthorised use of his/her work in a public performance. For example: copyright on a song like "Sweet Caroline", composed by Neil Diamond, is held three ways, by Diamond himself as the composer, by MCA, who hold the "mechanical" copyright(the recorded performance of the song) and finally by the music publishing company, and by extension, ASCAP or BMI, who act as public performance clearance agencies for that, among other songs or intrumental recordings. If you were a would-be singer, you wanted to perform that song in public(if you had nerve enough), you'd apply to ASCAP or BMI, pay a royalty fee and be given the right to perform that song, repeat the process as many times as required for the number of songs in your repertoire. That said, when it comes to Magic Music or Smartsound, these are supposed to be copyright-free, or "public domain", but I'm not too sure about it, as I've read in these forums of people getting stuck with claims against them when using such music in their clips. I'd probably play it safe and not use any music if I was going to cop any grief over it. If I were a talented musician(which I'm not), I could come up with some of my own music to put on the clip's soundtrack, much as JemRaid has done(anyone seen his work?).

My wideos are for private viewing only in any case so the point is moot. I may use commercial music(drive a car along gravel track: Duane Eddy's "40 Miles Of Bad Road" is a good choice of music), but no-one's going to see it beyond myself, my family and friends, either off a disc or a flash-drive.

Cheers!

Neil
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Neil -

First of all I must correct you...
Well - whoops embarassed

Quote: Cpoy-write

Quote: wideos

Most of us make typos and occasionally misspell words. Some of us even leave out spaces. The important thing, in this context, is that the meaning is clear.

SmartSound music is not "public domain". When it's purchased it is licensed for particular uses, one of which is in YouTube/Vimeo etc videos. Here's the licensing information for SmartSound - http://www.smartsound.com/support/licenseinfo

Chears - Tony laughing
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Barry, Neil, Tony.

Think I got it now - Royalty-Free does not mean it isn't copywritten - which means you probably can't use it on a YouTube video clip... not properly(legally) at least.

Original music - allowed on YouTube or the like.

Personal use - anything goes - we're still allowed to put whatever music on our personal projects... thank goodness! Must be still a few things in the USA that ARE Free!... lol

Yes, looks like the typo monster got ya Neil! Lol... never gets me though (lmao - riiiight)...

CS

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello CS and Tony!

"Yes, looks like the typo monster got ya Neil! Lol... never gets me though (lmao - riiiight)..."

Yeah! Caught out! But I generally refer to those little buggers as: KEYBOARD GREMLINS (LOL) But you know what I was getting at in any case. Commercially-made music? Heck! Sure I'll use it in my videos, or videos edited for a friend(who is generally the only one to see them apart from me). Smartsound? I'll use it occasionally, but again only in stuff that I'll show to family or friends, and if editing content for a friend, he/she may be the only one to see it other than me. Often I don't use any music at all. But if any of you, out there have a bit of musical talent, you could create your own music library for video soundtrack purposes and leave BMI. ASCAP, NCB, APRA, GEMA, BIEM and all the other international copyright clearance house head honchos scratching their collective heads and wondering "Where did he/she/they get THAT music from?"

Cheers! Happy New Year!

Neil.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
No worries Neil laughing

Before I get off my anal retentive kick for the day, the adjective from "copyright" is "copyrighted", as in copyrighted material... I know that's about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

I think CS has the answer he was seeking in any case.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. The way to determine whether someone has anal retentive tendencies is to ask them whether or not "anal retentive" is hyphenated.
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
[Post New]
Yep....answer 'gotten'... and while my grammar is not always the best (ok not even CLOSE to good), I try to go through spell checkers to get most of my spelling somewhat correct! Just my personal preference.

Lol, and Lmao applies to reading your responses Tony (here)...

Thanks guys - for the responses and Happy New Year to you folks!

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just for ships and giggles...
Smartsound is having a year-end sale, you can get an entire album (usually 10+- songs) for $60. Now, if you buy SonicFire Pro, the EASY composing program from Smartsound, half-price now ($50), you'll get a free album with it. So, for $110 you get the AWESOME program, 2 albums, both of which will be accessible in the PD Magic Music interface and conversely your current SS tracks will be accessible in SFPro. You'll have a nice start on a library. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Barry!

It's all "much of a muchness" to me! I don't post on YouTube or Vimeo, I just burn my productions to disc to be viewed by family and/or friends, If the video contains music from whichever source, so be it! If not.... Well.... some clips work better without music anyway.

Cheers!

Neil.