Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 13 Forum
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all. has the PD13 forum closed down? Suddenly I'm not good enough to be allowed into it.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Robert:

I don't even see the PD13 Forum listed any more. I am assuming it was recently rolled into the "PowerDirector Previous Versions" Forum, but that is just a guess. The Moderator will know for sure.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, Phil. I am pretty sure I was in it yesterday, if not, the day before.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
CyberLink have "merged" the forums, see: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/87.page
Dafydd
The Shadowman
[Post New]
It would have been nice to be informed, but hey, it's Cyberlink Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It would have been nice to be informed, but hey, it's Cyberlink

Nothing new and been the practice for a long time, last message here nearly 5 years ago sums it up on first occurrence of merge practice, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18292.page#94359

The forum has lots of police that like posting to put "SOLVED" in a title which you can't effectively search for anyhow. Accomplishes nothing to assist in finding old message that might be relevant, but adds yet another trivial post. In the end all previous messages are thrown into a single pit so what was "SOLVED" and what version?

It is what it is, a little like herding cats.

Jeff
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff. At least I am not alone.
I don't have 14, so I guess it's goodbye to you all. It's been nice knowing you.

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Argh! I've asked a few to edit their subject-lines to do just that .... include 'solved'. Will stop doing that immediately. Didn't mean encourage the cluttering of the rooms.

Like Jeff says, seems like it would be a great idea to segregate the versions of solved issues at least! I can see how, depending on how accurate and descriptive, the titles are would limit being able to search and find an old, resolved issue - partly dependent on the title description and on a good search engine/feature.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I have passed on the feedback to CyberLink.
Dafydd
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The forum has lots of police that like posting to put "SOLVED" in a title which you can't effectively search for anyhow. Accomplishes nothing to assist in finding old message that might be relevant, but adds yet another trivial post. In the end all previous messages are thrown into a single pit so what was "SOLVED" and what version?

Jeff

I'm not sure I see the relevance of your SOLVED rant with regard to merging forums. I agree that the once the threads are merged some solutions may lose value because they're no longer in the same context, but by the time the forums are merged many of those posts' issues would have been addressed by patches or driver updates and would likely not be relevant anyway.

That's a completely different situation than somebody finding a solution to a current and relevent issue and putting the word SOLVED in to let other people know what worked. Just like newspaper headlines, they're important and valuable in the moment but probably not all that instructive long after the fact.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: The forum has lots of police that like posting to put "SOLVED" in a title which you can't effectively search for anyhow. Accomplishes nothing to assist in finding old message that might be relevant, but adds yet another trivial post. In the end all previous messages are thrown into a single pit so what was "SOLVED" and what version?

Jeff

I'm not sure I see the relevance of your SOLVED rant with regard to merging forums. I agree that the once the threads are merged some solutions may lose value because they're no longer in the same context, but by the time the forums are merged many of those posts' issues would have been addressed by patches or driver updates and would likely not be relevant anyway.

That's a completely different situation than somebody finding a solution to a current and relevent issue and putting the word SOLVED in to let other people know what worked. Just like newspaper headlines, they're important and valuable in the moment but probably not all that instructive long after the fact.

optodata, just a different opinion than yours, call mine a rant if you wish. In fairness maybe I should call yours a rant, calling out each poster to modify their post. I've done neither, tell you to stop, or others to do it. I simply said it accomplishes nothing.

In my view, merging the forums or adding SOLVED both offer the same value to the forum and/or a post, nothing. The forums are: “CyberLink non-profit forum was created for CyberLink customers to share their works, projects, experiences, knowledge, and suggestions with other customers.” I offered my suggestion that directing users to add SOLVED adds no value. The same as my suggestive comment that merging the forums offers no value.

If each post had searchable keywords that a user could define and subsequent users could effectively search uniquely on those keywords then SOLVED or many others, if keywords, could add value. As it stands it offers very little value in the moment or latter. Not everyone sees it in their interest (financial or feature wise) to update to current releases, many valued users/contributors of versions prior to PD14 and offer the forums significant contributory value. Having things simple thrown in a big pile with no valid means of searching appropriately offers little.

Yes, I guess like newspaper headlines, that's why those one can search "in the headline of the article", so, it has significant purpose in the current and historical searches too. Can’t recall too many times I’ve seen a news article modified with SOLVED and rerun.

Jeff
The Shadowman
[Post New]
If each post had searchable keywords that a user could define and subsequent users could effectively search uniquely on those keywords then SOLVED or many others, if keywords, could add value. As it stands it offers very little value in the moment or latter. Not everyone sees it in their interest (financial or feature wise) to update to current releases, many valued users/contributors of versions prior to PD14 and offer the forums significant contributory value. Having things simple thrown in a big pile with no valid means of searching appropriately offers little.

I would like to comment a little on what Jeff has written above as he makes, in my opinion a very valid point.

let's not forget that a fair few of the regular contributors, not me I hasten to add, do not have to pay out for new software when a new version is released. So it does not matter to them how many new versions are released, they just carry on as normal. Let us also consider the parents of youngsters who, perhaps find it difficult to find the not small amount of money required to upgrade. Also, many retired people who are not always "well off" like to tinker in their new found leisure time with their camera, and then edit the results in PowerDirector. Then there are those editors who do not need the features added to the new version so why should they have to upgrade just to stay part of the latest forum.

like me, what a lot of these people have in common is the ability to join a PD forum concentrating on the particular version they have purchased. I found that I made many new cyber friends when I visited the PD13 forum and gained a great deal of knowledge from them. Now, because I will not be bullied into upgrading, this has been taken away from me. I had a look at the "previous version" forum and didn't recognise a soul.

I do ask though, is it really necessary at all to have a forum for each new version? Let's face it, the knowledge base in 14 could answer any obscure questions from previous versions standing on it's head.

anyway, enough said, I will now go and slide back down into Jeff's pit and herd a few cats

By the way, this is not a rant, it's heartfelt.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all!

I'll add my 2 cents' worth(we don't even have 2-cent or 1-cent coins in Australia any more, did away with copper coins over 2 decades ago!) by saying it's a bit rude to do away with a forum if people are still using that software, to which the forum referred. I think Director Zone could've waited until PD15 was launched and on sale before relegating PD13 to the "Previous Versions" forum.

Cheers!

Neil
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Hi Neil

Thanks for chipping in with your two cents worth.

Yes, RUDE is a word that covers it very well. I see the PD13 forum removal as a kind of ingratitude to loyal customers who may have only recently bought the software. I also think your suggestion that CL should have waited until 15 is released is a very valid point.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If each post had searchable keywords that a user could define and subsequent users could effectively search uniquely on those keywords then SOLVED or many others, if keywords, could add value. As it stands it offers very little value in the moment or latter. Not everyone sees it in their interest (financial or feature wise) to update to current releases, many valued users/contributors of versions prior to PD14 and offer the forums significant contributory value. Having things simple thrown in a big pile with no valid means of searching appropriately offers little.

I would like to comment a little on what Jeff has written above as he makes, in my opinion a very valid point.

let's not forget that a fair few of the regular contributors, not me I hasten to add, do not have to pay out for new software when a new version is released. So it does not matter to them how many new versions are released, they just carry on as normal. Let us also consider the parents of youngsters who, perhaps find it difficult to find the not small amount of money required to upgrade. Also, many retired people who are not always "well off" like to tinker in their new found leisure time with their camera, and then edit the results in PowerDirector. Then there are those editors who do not need the features added to the new version so why should they have to upgrade just to stay part of the latest forum.

like me, what a lot of these people have in common is the ability to join a PD forum concentrating on the particular version they have purchased. I found that I made many new cyber friends when I visited the PD13 forum and gained a great deal of knowledge from them. Now, because I will not be bullied into upgrading, this has been taken away from me. I had a look at the "previous version" forum and didn't recognise a soul.

I do ask though, is it really necessary at all to have a forum for each new version? Let's face it, the knowledge base in 14 could answer any obscure questions from previous versions standing on it's head.

anyway, enough said, I will now go and slide back down into Jeff's pit and herd a few cats

By the way, this is not a rant, it's heartfelt.

Robert

Hi, Shadowman(Robert)!

I bought PD14 because it had some features I wanted in the way of editing, but had to learn a few "new tricks"(where's Denis Waterman when you need him Ha-Ha!) in using PD14 but I was disappointed by the disc authoring component of the newest version, and have said so in the PD14 forum. I have also delved into the PD13 forum, read and commented on some posts there as well. I would imagine several similarities between versions 13 and 14 of Power Director, so experience in one would go a long way in helping with the other. BUT.... and it's a BIG BUT! The PD13 Forum should've been kept separate as an individual forum until PD15 was launched and on sale to the public, and for several months thereafter, before relegation to the "Previous Versions" clutter.

Cheers & Happy New Year!

Neil.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
A (perhaps-too-simple) possible solution:

Whenever CL is preparing to merge one version's forum into the "Previous Versions" pool, they could do a global change to every thread, changing the title to include the version.

For example, if I have a thread entitled "Download problem" in the PD14 forum, CL would rename that thread "PD14 Download problem" before it is merged into the "Previous Versions" forum. That would make it easier to search specifically for PD14 threads. Even though it might make some titles a little odd-sounding, it would facilitate a search. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Not a bad idea, Dan though I'm not sure whether the search engine scans thread titles or just the body of the text.

When I'm trying to locate something in the forum, I usually by-pass the forum search tool & go to Google... including "cyberlink forum" in the keywords. Much more likely to get a useful result.

I'm afraid I'm not very anal about recording bookmark entries, whcih would negate the need for searching.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Not a bad idea, Dan though I'm not sure whether the search engine scans thread titles or just the body of the text.

When I'm trying to locate something in the forum, I usually by-pass the forum search tool & go to Google... including "cyberlink forum" in the keywords. Much more likely to get a useful result.

I'm afraid I'm not very anal about recording bookmark entries, whcih would negate the need for searching.

Cheers - Tony

I don't know either, but some forums give you the option of just searching titles, or searching the body of all posts as well. This forum, I don't know. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Wouldn't it be far simpler just to leave the previous, in this case 13, forum running until 14 expires and then close it.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Wouldn't it be far simpler just to leave the previous, in this case 13, forum running until 14 expires and then close it.

Robert

Not close it altogether, people are still using PD13 and earlier versions. Dare I say, some may even still be using PD5, as limited as it is.

Cheers!

Neil.