Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 fails to burn Blu-Ray after switch to Windows 10
jbanderson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2013 19:23 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD13 successfully for a long time under Windows 7, then upgraded my OS to Windows 10 a few months ago. PD13 works fine and I haven't had any problems editing hig-res and 4K footage. I usually make DVDs and have had no problems burning standard definition disks.

Recently, however, I tried burning some high res Blu Ray disks. The authoring goes along for a long time but then fails near the 90% mark, with a message about "error in data stream". I've tried both H.264 and MP-2 coding. Audio is Dolby. My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 660, and the driver is up to date.

The same version of PD13 was burning Blu-ray with no problems before the Windows 10 upgrade, so I'm assuming that is where the problem came from.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any suggestions about what might be wrong?
Ferd07 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland Joined: Dec 22, 2015 18:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem when trying to burn my first Blu Ray Disc last week. I have Windows 10, so I've not tried it with Windows 7. I did not get any error messages, but the authoring stopped at 99% and sat there for about 10 hours until I finally killed it. Something was written on the disc, but I don't know what since I can't read it. My solution was to create a disc image (ISO) and then use Power2Go to burn the disc. That works for me.
jbanderson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not quite the same. I still get the same error when I try to burn a disc image.

The error message is:

Error code: eA0040003
Possible cause(s):
jbanderson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oops, accidentally hit submit prematurely.

I wanted to add that I have the same problem with different projects, with and without hardware acceleration, and even on both of my two Windows desktop machines.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Try producing the video first without using the Create Disc screen. Produce to an appropriate BR MP4 profile (e.g. 1920x1080/60i or 50i if you're in a PAL region), then use the Create Disc menu to import that produced video and see if you can burn the disc (or disc image) that way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 21:35

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
jbanderson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata, Thanks for the suggestion. It bore fruit, but in an unexpected way.

First, why did you think it would work?

I was testing using a single 30 second clip of .MTS:
1920x1080
H.264
21.56 Mbps
29.97 fps
Audio is 48kHz, 256kpbs stereo.

That's the one that failed as I described above (after the full big project failed).

When I followed your suggestion, importing within "create disk", it worked the first time. An iso was successfully produced. However, that was with no menu.

Then I tried adding the custom menu I used for the full project (even though the clip has no chapters). Then it failed again.

Then I tried using the Cyberlink-supplied "World Monopoly" menu, unaltered. It worked. I altered the menu and saved; it worked.

I tried making a new custom menu from scratch, with no images or added buttons, only the default. It failed.

It appears that it's the custom menus. This is very strange, because this is the same custom menu that works fine in making a standard def DVD. It's only Blu-ray that fails with (apparently) any custom menu.

Any suggestions, or response from the CL gurus?

p.s. I'm going away for Christmas, so I won't be responding until after the weekend. Happy Holidays, everyone!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
When you use the Create Disc screen to burn a project, PD has to do everything: produce the project, implement the menu, burn the disc/write to disc structure in a folder. By producing first and then burning just that clip to disc, you remove some of the complexity and that often is enough to get the disc/image burned.

Many people have reported problems with custom disc menus over the years. I don't have a real understanding of where the problems might be or how to repair them, I just know that sometimes the quickest fix is to switch menus.

Hopefully you'll be able to find/modify a standard menu that will work for you in the future. It would be nice if there was a troubleshooter or validator for all the custom menus out there, maybe you can ask Santa for one

Merry Christmas!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There is probably nothing wrong with the menu. Many times in the past when users have problems where a burn is not sucessful the senior contributors have said produce the file first in the correct format. The disc is then created with the produced file and all is well each time. Don't know about win 10.
jbanderson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Many people have reported problems with custom disc menus over the years. I don't have a real understanding of where the problems might be or how to repair them, I just know that sometimes the quickest fix is to switch menus.

Thanks for your help. I'll try burning after modifying an existing menu.

I help build and test large-scale data-crunchers and public front-ends for a US government service (NIH), so I have a lot of experience tracking down bugs. This seems like a very straight-forward case where a developer could quickly pinpoint the problem. We know what fails under what circumstances and it's completely repoducible. Clearly some part of the custom menu that is being passed to the Blu-ray disk package has something in it that the Blu-ray doesn't like, yet the Cyberlink menu doesn't have the bad think. It shouldn't be hard to identify what's going wrong.

How responsive is Cyberlink to bug reports? Users are often very good beta testers and it's a very bad idea to ignore them.