Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error Code 2 when importing QuickTime Video
[Post New]
I am running PD13 on a Windows 7 i5 machine with 16GB RAM. I having been using it successfully for a while. A friend of mine used his Black Magic camera to record some video and he gave me the .mov QuickTime files. When I import them, I get "a shadow file in not available..." error pointing to a subdirectory not on my computer (maybe one of the hidden files on his camera drive). I get through that error. The file does not show a preview in the preview pane. When I drag the file to the timeline it give me a "Media Source Error Code 2" error. Here is the text of the error:

Media Source Error Report :Error type : Video cutMaterial type : VideoError information : UnknownMaterial filename : F:\Mypictures\Its a Jeep Thing\writersblock\firstnight\tony cinema_1_2015-12-03_2139_C0009.movDetailed information : ..\CES_Source\Src\CES_Engine\CES_MediaLoader.CPP:1408Source filter GUID : E436EBB5-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770Splitter filter GUID : A05CDF6C-287E-47A1-A407-A477A8A5FDCA

I have downloaded the latest version of QuickTime and am running PD as an administrator, which helped a few others with this problem, but has not helped me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 08:20

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt

Does this file play in the Quicktime player? If not, I would suggest using something like Format Factory to convert the file to mp4.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Robert,
Thanks for your response. Yes, it plays in the Quicktime player. I can convert the file, but I would hope that PD13 would have the ability to use these as native file formats without having to convert them.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are a number of things that can help, but we'd need some more info. Please read and post parts A, B and J of the Welcome sticky.

It would also help to have a short original clip. If you have one that's smaller than <100MB you can attach it directly here, otherwise please upload it to a shared folder on OneDrive or DropBox and post the link. Once we have those details, it's usually pretty straightforward to find a way to get the clips into PD13.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Sorry, yes here's some more info: Powerdirector Ultimate Version: 13.0.2604.0

I've attached the two DXDIAG files and the media info file. I will also upload a short clip soon.

Thanks!
 Filename
movtestfile_22_bathrunning_2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
230 time(s)
 Filename
Matt64bDxDiag12_23_15.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
249 time(s)
 Filename
MattDxDiag_12_23_15.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)
[Post New]
Here's a short video of which I am having issues with (attached).
 Filename
42b_3_clocktony cinema_1_2015-12-04_0034_C0039.mov
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99280 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
152 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for your posts! They tell the whole story of what's going on, and there are two main areas to focus on.

The first is your clips. They're encoded using Apple's proprietary ProRes format, and in order to edit them in PD you'd need to (or have your friend) convert them into a more compatible format, like H.264. The output can still be in MOV format (or MP4 or M2TS), but it has to be in another encoding format. It looks like your friend should have a copy of daVinci Resolve, which can convert the clips before he sends them to you. You can download Resolve for free too, and from what I've read it seems like it should be able to read the ProRes files and allow you to convert them.

The other item is with the drivers you have installed on your laptop. Athough your laptop looks to be about 4 years old, there are many drivers dating from 2009. The most important one is the Intel video driver, which dates from June 2013 and you should visit intel.com and install the version checker app and let it find, download and install the current drivers for your HD 3000.

This should be enough to get you up and running!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Quote: Thanks very much for your posts! They tell the whole story of what's going on, and there are two main areas to focus on.

The first is your clips. They're encoded using Apple's proprietary ProRes format, and in order to edit them in PD you'd need to (or have your friend) convert them into a more compatible format, like H.264. The output can still be in MOV format (or MP4 or M2TS), but it has to be in another encoding format. It looks like your friend should have a copy of daVinci Resolve, which can convert the clips before he sends them to you. You can download Resolve for free too, and from what I've read it seems like it should be able to read the ProRes files and allow you to convert them.

The other item is with the drivers you have installed on your laptop. Athough your laptop looks to be about 4 years old, there are many drivers dating from 2009. The most important one is the Intel video driver, which dates from June 2013 and you should visit intel.com and install the version checker app and let it find, download and install the current drivers for your HD 3000.

This should be enough to get you up and running!

Thanks for your response. A follow up question just to be clear: His camera's format for the video is in an Apple proprietary format which doesn't work with PD. He is able to directly load them into Adobe Premier (I guess Adobe paid Apple to use their format)? If I want to continue to work with him, I either have to convert all his files or buy Premier?

I'm not sure what's going on with the drivers. I updated them not long ago. I will check on them again. Thanks!
optodata
[Post New]
From the details you provided and what I've read online, someone will need to convert the clips for PD (and most other editors) to work with. Obviously Final Cut and Adobe for Macs will work but Apple has not licensed ProRes for Windows software/machines to my knowledge - although there are some workarounds out there.

It's certainly worth trying downloading and testing daVinci Resolve. It's completely free and if it can read your clips you should be able to "produce" them to MP4 without any quality issues. That would certainly be less expensive than getting Premiere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2015 16:32

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can use like free utility Handbrake to convert the ProRes to something compatible with PD14.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Ha! Or for that matter, download the free Magic+PD app from *here*

I just tested it and it is able to read and convert your clip very quickly (like in 2 seconds). You can use it to convert to any format, not just MagicYUV, although that would actually be a good choice since your system may otherwise struggle with HD clips

YouTube/optodata