where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitles, SRT File, Italics
Reply to this topic
Psalm91 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Mar 29, 2009 22:43 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

Does anyone know a way to keep subtitles italicized when they're declared as such in an SRT file and imported?

The files have the standard text wrapping, but when imported they lose the italics and are all regular text.

Many thanks,

Chuck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2015 18:09

PD17 Ultimate
Dell Alien Aurora R7
CPU: Intel i7-8700K (8th Gen) CPU
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X)
Mem: 16GB RAM (DDR4@2666MHz Dual Channel)
Drives:
C:\ - 256GB SSD (OS)
Secondary - 2TB HDD 7200RPM (editing)
Tertiary - SSD (producing)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 3759 Offline
[Post New]
PD still has no capability for that. srt files permit basic text formats with like the <i></i> tag but PD does not incorporate read capability, it just treats it as text vs the escape format.

Several users asked for improvements and simple support for this back in the PD8/9 time frame but I've not seen it implemented in PD13 or even PD14 yet.

You can select all or intermittent subtitles with Ctrl option in PD and then change those whole subtitle lines to Italic if that helps.

Jeff
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks JL.

Yes, I know well of the abilities of single selection of subtitles as I work with them all the time in PD13. I was hoping I was simply missing something somewhere.

I wonder...does anyone know the structure of the .PDS file? If so, it would help me identify what would allow you to mark certain subtitles as italic. I could do that programmatically if I knew the structure. Portions seem to be binary and other portions text.

Would anyone know that?

Thanks,

Chuck

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2015 20:10

PD17 Ultimate
Dell Alien Aurora R7
Drives:
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 3759 Offline
[Post New]
Does not look too encouraging for reverse inspection. It's easy to create two identical pds files, say with two subtitles, the first normal the second italic and interrogate the difference in pds files for your programming insight.

Attached pic shows the one unique character difference.

I’d put the suggestion back into this thread again, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45634.page since you work with subtitles all the time.

Jeff
 Filename
PD13_SVRT.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks JL. I've done the same, but I'm seeing much greater differences than a single character in the SCRIPT_BUFFER string on an italicized vs regular subtitle, plus the script buffer is different from subtitle to subtitle (which you would guess).

The data looks hexadecimal so it may be legible if converted, but again, without someone defining the structure, it'd be just pot-shots.

I truly appreciate the help and will post the item on the wish-list thread.

Thanks again.

Chuck PD17 Ultimate
Dell Alien Aurora R7
Drives:
Reply to this topic