Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Premiere Elements project file compatibility
RayC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2015 21:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone tell me if PowerDirector can load Premiere Elements project files?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RayC,
I doubt there is any inter-compatibility between an adobe project file and a CyberLink one but there might be, if the xml nature of the files are similar. I do have a version of PE somewhere on one of my computers but rather than me having to hunt through my computer here's a suggestion.

Create a small project with a couple of small images and the PE project file, zip them. Attach the zip to your reply. It would give members a chance to test out and analyze the PE project file's construction.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2015 04:14

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RayC -

Compu'a says NO

Using an ancient version of PE, I archived (same as PDR's packing) a small project & tried to open it with PDR14. Here's what I got...

The PE project file, in .prel format, was able to be opened with NotePad (.txt version attached) but I would have a clue what to do with it to make it compatible nor whether it was even possible.

If the project's to big to redo in PDR, you could render it in PE & import the produced file into PDR for editing.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
APE Test_prel.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
399 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1148 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
deborahc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2020 11:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I'm using Power Director 17, way back I purchased a Premiere Pro but the program will no longer allow me into the program otherwise I would produce a high quality version as someone said and then import the project into Power Director. I really hate paying $900 and then the company won't let me use the program any longer. But be that as I may I have PrProj files but no way of using them or knowhow to convert them. Any help would be appreaciated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing has changed since this thread was active 5 years ago. To my knowledge, each project file format is proprietary and there is no way for another program to interpret all the complex edits and descriptions in another format and turn them into something useable.

I would suggest looking into an Adobe subscription and see if the current version of PP can import and produce your existing project. Then you're free to cancel the subscription and work with the produced clip in PD17.
deborahc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2020 11:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Nothing has changed since this thread was active 5 years ago. To my knowledge, each project file format is proprietary and there is no way for another program to interpret all the complex edits and descriptions in another format and turn them into something useable.

I would suggest looking into an Adobe subscription and see if the current version of PP can import and produce your existing project. Then you're free to cancel the subscription and work with the produced clip in PD17.

Thanks I figured as much, but I'm not interested in spending bad money after good. Adobe should never have the ability to force people to subscribe when they have already spent $1000 for have a software installed on a computer. It's like saying you can't use your refrigerator after a certain point even through it is running just fine. Eventually software companies won't be able to get away with this monopolization of the marketplace in addition to it is just not ethical. I'll just recreate the video on Power Director. Thanks