Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A last word on software licencing
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!

As the thread on "Multiple Computer Licence" has been locked, I open this thread simply to say I do strongly believe, that if and when a person purchases a computer product, like Cyberlink's Power Director, Power DVD or any other software programme, of any version, considering the cost to him/her of such purchase, then that person alone should be the final arbitur of whether he/she installs the programme on one or multiple computers. And he/she SHOULD NOT be required to buy extra copies/licences for the other computers on which the software is installed, so long as the one person owns those extra computers.

The licencing as it stands now is like saying "you can play this record on one player only and you are not permitted to use it on any other phono equipment you may own" The recording industry would've been "dead in the water" if they applied the type of licencing that Cyberlink and other software makers wish to impose on us end-users.

Something to think about!

Neil
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
The problem with licencing the individual is that there would then be nothing to stop that person then installing copies on the computers of friends and family. I would imagine that's the reason it's limited to one computer unless you pay extra for a volume licence.

As an aside I'd like to point out that on other forums I visit people are not criticised for posting to old threads provided the comments are still relevant to the thread title.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2015 14:02

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Mike!

There are plusses and minusses to any kind of licencing arrangement, and sure, it's likely that one would likely install the programme to the computer of a mamily member, or a friend. While putting, say PD14 on a friend's computer might be "pushing the envelope" a bit too far, I see nothing wrong in installing on say, a son's or daughter's computer, so long as it's kept within the family. But, all-in-all, these computer software licences are quite restrictive, and unnecessarily so in many cases. The high cost of the software means that with each sale, the company that developed the software, will quickly recoup the outlay in creating the software in the first place, so it should be "no skin off Cyberlink's nose" as to how it's used.

Your finishing remark: "As an aside I'd like to point out that on other forums I visit people are not criticised for posting to old threads provided the comments are still relevant to the thread title", I quite agree. The moderator shouldn't be too quick to lock a thread if there are still valid and pertinent comments yet to be added.