Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ken Burns effect - iMovie on iPhone
[Post New]
I have an iPhone 6s, which does a pretty decent job of creating a short video from photos or video clips taken by the iPhone.

One of the features that I like the most about iMovie is its implementation of the Ken Burns effect for videos. It's a great way of having continuous transition, while panning and zooming.

Is that Ken Burns effect available for PD14 ?

Yes, I realize that I probably could do the same by using the right pan-and-zoom transitions with PD 14. But that would likely be much more time-consuming, with less of a nice effect. The iMovie Ken Burns affect is good, and can also be adjusted a bit.

This is a YouTube link to a sample video that I created this morning with my iPhone using iMovie. It shows what the iMovie Ken Burns affect does, with little adjustment by me.

https://youtu.be/PV8AM021wQ4

It would be nice to have that directly available on PD 14.

Thanks,

Clark
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Clark -

Your video is set to private, so noone here can view it. Sweitch to unlisted & we can see the effect you're after.

PDR has Magic Motion which can probably give you what you want - maybe not as instantly.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I thought it was set to Unlisted, so I guess I goofed. It is now set to Public.

Thanks,

Clark
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
All good now.

Clark - in PDR, you have 2 similar options:

1. Select the photos and choose Slideshow > Motion

2. Select the photos and choose Magic Motion

Within each option, you can customise whatever you wish or let the presets do their thing. The slideshow option fades between images, and Magic Motion will too (if you set that in Preferences).

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Cool !!! cool

I played with both methods. So far, I think I like Magic Motion the best. I do have to customize it a bit, or the effects look the same on each photo.

But, it's a good tool in PD that I did not know about.

So, thanks, Tony !!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2015 11:59

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Clark -

There are a couple of time saving tips in the attached screenshot when you're using Magic Motion. By now, you've probably already discovered them for yourself... but thought I'd post anyway.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Magic Motion Saver.png]
 Filename
Magic Motion Saver.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
746 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
96 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Clark & anyone who's interested -

You may be aware that PDR has two main types of transitions - Overlap & Cross.

In motion slideshows, with panning and zooming, the difference between these is very noticeable.

You'll get a smoother shift between images by using Overlap type transitions. With motion, Cross transitions - well - you'll see it in this video... 1080p so watch it full screen on YouTube to see the differences better.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2015 13:43

[Post New]
Tony,

Again, very helpful. You're correct in that Overlap does give a nicer, smoother transition.

That's also good info on Control-Clicking the appropriate photos to set a particular transition on a selected group. However, I do not get the colored dots above the like-photos. I'm using PD13 at work, so would my PD14 at home give me the dots ?

Clark
ynotfish
[Post New]
laughing Sorry Clark - I probably didn't explain my secret code properly!

No - I only put the coloured dots on the screenshot to show which images had the same motion applied... so you get a variey of motion throughout the slideshow.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Duhhh !

Hah! Got me. 😜

πŸπŸŠπŸ‹πŸŽπŸ†
[Post New]
Tony:

Using overlap vs cross transitions is even more noticeable on video footage than on stills. On video footage the cross type overlap causes a noticeable stoppage of motion at the end of the first clip and beginning of the second clip. The effect on the audio is even more pronounced.

The downside to using overlap transitions is that they change the timeline durations and if you have things synched across multiple tracks, overlap transitions pale havoc with the alignments. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry