Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Music used in older projects
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Since the days of PD9 I saved most of my projects.
They were stored by using the function:'File - Pack Project Material' to be able to continue working with them at a later date.
Now this later date has come. In some of the projects I have used Magic Music.

When I open these projects I get the message:

error message

Fortunately, this is not a serious problem but merely an annoyance.

Immediately I can not see any change in the SmartSound music library that comes with PowerDirector, therefore surprises me that the music is not there anymore.

I suppose it does not help to install earlier versions of the PDR since SmartSound updated during installation.

It would have been nice if the message also told the name of the music because I think it is still there just in a new version.

It's not to remember what creative ideas one had for more than a year ago. PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Anja, it's possible the PD or SS may not be looking in the right folder. From the Magic Music menu, you can open the SS control panel and then verify or add any folders that might be missing. Maybe your purchased tracks are somewhere else?

There's also a Rebuild SmartSound Database button on the About tab which might help.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Anja -

I've had similar messages when using SmartSound music. You're right - just a meaningless annoyance.

As optodata posted, Rebuild SmartSound Database is worth doing every now & then.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata,

There is only one folder with sounsfiles at my pc
c:\programdata\SmartSound Software Inc\soundfiles
and one folder pointing of installed libray
c:\programdata\SmartSound Software Inc\libraies
and ttis is also whwre the settings in SS are pointing.

But your point was a good one.

Note this pc is only 6 month old and I only have had PD13 and PD14 on this - thats why I mentioned that about installing older versions. But think it might create conflicts installing earlier versions.

Still I think the PD message could /should show the title of the soundfile because all the soundfiles in 'c:\programdata\SmartSound Software Inc\soundfiles' has a title plus a number - at least the the title would help to recreate the project. PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Ah, chances are that the missing sound tracks were purchased and downloaded to your older computer. You should be able to visit the SS website and re-download all the tracks you've purchased, and I definitely agree that the message would be much more informative if it contained the track name.

I don't recall, but is the sound track name missing from the black/missing track on the PD timeline? If not, you can actually find the name by opening up the project's .PDS file in an editor that supports XML (like the free Notepad++), then search for "AEFF_CLIP_SMARTSOUND" and look a couple lines lower to find the name and style of the track, like this:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 13. 2015 14:31

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Hi both,
First breaking news:
Last night about 9 pm a terrible terrorist attacks started at six different locations in Paris, France. There were at least eight partisans, currently 120 people are killed and 80 mortally wounded. I may soon not know the world I live in.

Have tried:
- Rebuild SmartSound Database
- search for any occurrences of smartsound, files and folders

It is when open older Projects I get the mentioned message box and the sound is missing in SS track on the PD timeline - just a black line.

optodata,
- sory I didn't clearly mentioned I only purchased PD9, 11, 13 Ultra and 14 Ultimate and have used the SS that came with the PD's
- I'm retired and try to keep expences down by using as much free stuff as posible.

I worked out I can cppy the music by loading the video / slide show in a new project (samples / temporary m2ts files I produced before packing the the projects) and then produce a wmv file from that, but that dosn't give me the name and I can't expand the length of the music.

I have actually exracted the sound from one of the temporary projects and gone through comparing with all the ss' in PD but couldn't find a similar tune.
It amazes me because I think 'the blue names' are the same as they always have been.

Conclusion, CL and/or SS must have changed which comes with the PD - I feel like saying something that would not be appropriate here.sealed

Again, Thanks to both of you to try to find a solution.

Cheers, Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja -

Have you ever purchased SmartSound music, or have you only used what is supplied with PDR?

When you click on Magic Music > SmartSound button > Albums what is listed? Core Foundations? Full Spectrum? other albums?

Maybe it would help to re-install "Full Spectrum" (supplied with earlier versions of PDR). Here's a * link * to download the installer. It may also help to download and install the Full SmartSound Quicktracks 5.1.8 installer and Common Data available * here *

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 04:50

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Tony!

The question you asked Anja about Smartsound, I can give you my own personal answer there and it's this: I have really only used what's already available, and I make minimal use thereof. Often I don't use any music at all in my videos. Sometimes I use commercial music(usually instrumentals by The Shadows, The Tornados and other 1960s groups) and for that reason, my videos are DEFINITELY for private use only.

Another thing I've noted. I think I've worked out where you are, down on the NSW Central Coast. Anywhere between Tuggerah and the Hawkesbury River(that's a wide scope, ain't it?) No need to divulge exact locations though. Suffice to say where almost neighbours!(LOL).

Cheers!

Neil.
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Hi again Tony,

Before your reply The only album I had was Core Foundations.
I just downloaded and installed Full Spectrum ( had to do it 3 times, the first 2 times I got a message that it proberly wasn't installed properly, try again)
Now I've got Full Spectrum, laughing and the SS track in old project is back smile thanks, thanks, thanks.
I now have 35 diferent tunes instad of 10.

About the SmartSound Quicktracks installer
I have the QuicktracksInstaller3090 in my CL download folder?

When open SmartSound Quicktracks 5 - About tab
I can see I'm running SmartSound Quicktracks 5.1.8.0, but I don't know how to see if I have the Full (204mb) or the (30mb) version?

The download of Full SmartSound Quicktracks 5.1.8 installer is 204mb - How much space is needed for the installed program?
- do you know if it's possible to install on other than the C: drive?

My C: drive is a SSD disk so I need to install as less as possible here.

What is Common Data Installer?

Cheers, Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Anja -

That SmartSound installer (the 204MB one) is posted there for cases where users have issues with track access & functionality - to restore their SmartSound module to how it should be. I've had to use it myself previously.

It sounds like it's not necessary for you, since things are functioning well.

I'm glad things are looking better for you in the audio department.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 13:52

optodata
[Post New]
Anja, you can install the tracks to any location. If you look at my first post, you'll see that I have my purchased music on my D: drive. You can move the tracks anywhere you want as long as you use the Add Folder... button to tell SmartSound where to find them.

Also, if you need to free up space on your SSD, please read this *thread* which shows you a quick way to move any folders to your D: drive, even if the folders contain an installed program, like PD

YouTube/optodata

Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Tony, fine I'll wait to see if I get any issues with track access & functionality.

optodata, I purchased PDR14 last month and were happy to learn it now was posible to install PDR whereever you like - so I installed at F: drive well knowing it may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall the C: drive if any performance issues occurs.

Until now it runs ok, but I have only been working on small projects - can be the reason.

It's good to know I can move the SS tracks to any location after installation.

Re the thread the first thing I did when I got my new PC with a SSD was to link the directories 'Documents', 'Pictures', 'Music' and 'Videos' to the D: drive just to free up space on C :.

What I did not know about that one also can move folders with installed applications. New and useful knowledge - thanks!
Might move the installed PDR13.

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2015 04:46

PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12