CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED-PD13 Motion Tracking after Video Crop and Stablize - Doesn't follow Target Image (some cases)
Reply to this topic
CS2014
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I have a clip that I've taken to learn how to preform Motion Tracking. I've sucessfully put a red arrow in track 2 and created a path for the arrow to follow. I've used this on an 'original ' clip where I did NOT do any video FIx/Enhancing on and it tracks correctly - following the image that I positioned the arrow beside.

I took the same vieo clip and cropped it (in Power Tools) and stabalized it (using the stablizer in FIx/Enhance) as I shot the video from some distance from the subject. I got into the PIP Designer again and created the path to follow the image subject. I can click along frame by frame and the arrow follows the path corectly. HOWEVER, when I preview it in PIP Designer - or after I've saved it, preview it in the Edit room - OR even produce the project and view it on my TV, the arrow does NOT position itself like I had in PIP Designer - (like when I click along frame by frame).

Hopefully the screen shots will show it well enough - they're attached. The arrow is SUPPOSED to point to the little grey-white thing to the left of the point. I KNOW the resolution is sacrificed but that's what I need to do to try to show the fish. In the original size it was pretty durn small so... I'll live with the lower res if I can track it better.

I think my computer configuation is displayed below. Had posted a dxdiag a while back but not sure if it's necessary jsut yet. I haven't changed any hardware and only have done a few Windows Updates since the last dxdiag.

What do you guys think?

CS
[Thumb - Frame by Frame.png]
 Filename
Frame by Frame.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
605 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)
[Thumb - PIP Des Preview.png]
 Filename
PIP Des Preview.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
612 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
145 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 14:16

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CS

Have a look here, you may learn something. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45614.page
I hope it helps you

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
CS2014
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've seen that Toot Robert. That just shows how to use Motion Tracking - I have successfully gotten tracking to take place - it's just not following the image I selected - when I create motion tracking on a cropped clip.

Thus this thread.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8394 Offline
[Post New]
I think the problem has something to do with cropping, stabilizing and doing the motion tracking all at the same time.

My suggestion would be to produce the cropped and stabilized clip first, then put that clip on the timeline and apply the keyframed arrow. That way, you can ensure that PD is working with a solid foundation rather than something that is constantly being cropped and stabilized before applying the keyframes.

Another suggestion would be to remove 90% of the keyframes! PD will automatically and linearly move the arrow from one position to the next without all those mid-points, and chances are that in a well-stabilized clip you'd only need a few "key" keyframes to keep the arrow on track

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9945 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My suggestion would be to produce the cropped and stabilized clip first, then put that clip on the timeline and apply the keyframed arrow. That way, you can ensure that PD is working with a solid foundation rather than something that is constantly being cropped and stabilized before applying the keyframes.

I absolutely agree with optodata! PD's trying to do too much at once. If you take a look at those 2 screenshots, one is the original uncropped/unstabilised clip & the other isn't! I'd say that's part of the reason the red arrow has headed north! It thinks it has more room to play laughing

Sometimes, there is a need for lots of close keyframes. At other times doing that can get in the way.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
[Post New]
When I woke up this morning, crazy as it sounds, I was thinking, 'produce' the clip first and see if I can track the image on a produced clip'.

Doh.. optodata, Tony, thanks!

I was glad that nobody wanted to see the clip itself as I upload it to Photobucket (which took FOREVER since I'm on a Verizon AC30 modem...sighs) - but it got cropped a little more and pretty much took the top part of the video so that you can't see the issue so well. I haven't posted a video clip so it would have been a challenge for me to do so also.

Tony - both clips are cropped - the 'frame by frame' one was a screen shot of when I was clicking through it frame by frame - I think I was in PIP designer - the screen shot should tell.

Thanks again guys, I'll give it a shot later today.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2015 08:27

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9945 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CS -

Yes - both your screenshots were taken in PiP Designer, and both were taken at 00;00;10;24. If all was well, both images should be framed in the same way... but they're not. (see attached side-by-side screenshots)

That's what made me think PD was confused about what it was supposed to be doing.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PiP Des shots.png]
 Filename
PiP Des shots.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
907 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
149 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
[Post New]
Didn't have a chance to try the producing of the clip today. Had too much yard work to do when I got home. Will try tomorrow as it's supposed to get rainy and windy overnight and be that sort of 'inside' sort of day for me.

I wasn't aware that I took the screenshot at exactly the same time... wow. Yet those images are clearly different as far as crop. ah, oh well - I"ll update tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
CS2014
[Post New]
Optodata, Tony, thanks a bunch!

I produced the clip when it was cropped and then stabilized it after that - I think I may have produced THAT clip then too.

THEN, I did the motion tracker 'thingy' and it applied just fine !

Thanks again for the thoughts.

optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8394 Offline
[Post New]
That's great! Glad to hear it, and thanks for letting everyone know that you got it to work!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 02:33

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Reply to this topic