Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
RESOLVED - Producing to a 32GB Flash Drive
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently discovered that doing this will certainly allow me to view a project that I made this past summer in a much more acceptable resolution.

The project is about 40 minutes long. I produced it in MPEG2 1920-1080 60i, 25Mbps. I tried to copy the produced file (that was saved to a location on my computer) to a flash drive. I had right clicked the produced file and it was saying that it was between 10 - 11 GB. So I thought I could just copy it onto the flash drive and then take it to the TV for play.

Ran into an error stating that the 32GB flash drive wasn't large enough?!?!? Kind of confusing since I saw the produced file was about 1/3 the capacity of the flash drive. So I tried to produce directly ot the flash drive and after about 30 minutes of producing a similar, is not same, error came back stating there was not enough room on the drive and to select a learger drive - OR - choose a lower production quality - or something to that effect.

So I'm trying right now to produce to 12(something)x720 in MPEG 2, 20Mbps to see if that will create a production file on the flash drive.

The QUESTION (finally) is: .... is there any sort of GENERAL equivilancy between length of project (in minutes) to produced files size?

What sort of 'head room' (which I'm defining as the storage spaced needed over and above the produced file size) is needed to produce a project? Perhaps 50% more memory??? or what?

Thanks

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2015 13:20

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've recently discovered that doing this will certainly allow me to view a project that I made this past summer in a much more acceptable resolution.

The project is about 40 minutes long. I produced it in MPEG2 1920-1080 60i, 25Mbps. I tried to copy the produced file (that was saved to a location on my computer) to a flash drive. I had right clicked the produced file and it was saying that it was between 10 - 11 GB. So I thought I could just copy it onto the flash drive and then take it to the TV for play.

Ran into an error stating that the 32GB flash drive wasn't large enough?!?!? Kind of confusing since I saw the produced file was about 1/3 the capacity of the flash drive. So I tried to produce directly ot the flash drive and after about 30 minutes of producing a similar, is not same, error came back stating there was not enough room on the drive and to select a learger drive - OR - choose a lower production quality - or something to that effect.

So I'm trying right now to produce to 12(something)x720 in MPEG 2, 20Mbps to see if that will create a production file on the flash drive.

The QUESTION (finally) is: .... is there any sort of GENERAL equivilancy between length of project (in minutes) to produced files size?

What sort of 'head room' (which I'm defining as the storage spaced needed over and above the produced file size) is needed to produce a project? Perhaps 50% more memory??? or what?

Thanks

CS

Check the format of your flash drive, probably FAT32. If so, you can store up to 32GB but not in a single file. Single file limited to 4GB on FAT32 format.

Jeff
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
THanks Jeff!

Formatted the 32GB flash to NTFS and then copied the produced file on to it successfully. But.... now when I plug that INTO my TV, that file does not play. I ejected it from the TV and plugged the FAT32 flash from yesterday that has a couple short produced clips on it - they played ok.

Appears NTFS will not play on the tv?!?!?!? hmmm.. that make sense?

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2015 13:13

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: THanks Jeff!

And then format my flash drive to the NTFS format?

CS

Most likely not your answer but really depends how and what you are going to do with it. From a previous post of yours, you want to plug into your TV perhaps. Many devices, like your TV, wont accept NTFS formated USB devices, only FAT32. What does your TV accept?

Jeff
CS2014
[Post New]
Yep... think you hit the nail on the head before the hammer was moving.

Looks like the tv wont accept the NTFS format.

Well, I can't watch my entire project but at least I know that even 1280x720 30p looks pretty good. And I'm still in need of some serious upgrade to the DVD player (GET A Blu-Ray) and get a blu-ray burned for the computer here.

Ahhh.. said 'grasshopper' I understand now - I'm referring to what I saw in a search of past threads mentioning limiting flash drive saves to 4GB and under (saves of produced files). Makes sense if FAT32 is limited to 4GB and my TV doesn't recognize NTFS formatted flash drives. The TV actually 'saw' the file title but wouldn't let me put a check mark beside it - I think to recognize that it could be played. Oh well - learned a lot through this exercise.

THanks Jeff
CS I'll close this in the subject

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2015 13:28

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Some brands of BD players will accept and play a video with menus on a 32GB ntfs formatted usb drive like sony.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2015 13:50

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many media players support playback from NTFS formatted USB devices.

Jeff
CS2014
[Post New]
YOU GUYS!!!! .... lol

I'm just so glad that there are so many people in here that know sooo much stuff! I realize now that I just need to create 'produced' files that I can then copy onto a flash-drive and then plug into a (new) blu-ray player that I need to get and bingo!

No bunch of BluRay DVD discs sitting around, etc...

Of course if I ant to share a project then maybe I should still have the ability to create a bluRay disc though.

Thanks so much guys - really appreciate it.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB