Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Odd Resolution Alert
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ever since I installed my 4K monitor (with a bit of friendly guidance from Arizona), PDR14 has been randomly throwing up a curious alert about screen resolution. I might be importing media, editing or producing - & up pops a message telling me that PDR supports "1024 x 768 or higher" & asking if I'd like to continue...

Well - yes I do laughing but it seems like an odd reminder to me.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2015 22:10

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Tony!

Have you been, perhaps, trying to edit old analogue-derived content(VHS, Beta, Video-8 or Hi-8 tapes)? The warning might have something to do with the old content, just a guess, mind you. I could be wrong. If anyone else has any ideas, please jump in.

Cheers!

Neil.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I do recall seeing the same type of alerts in the previous versions of PD. That happens when I have some earlier windows games or dos like apps loaded and running that have a low resolution home or startup screen. Alt-Enter to toggle full screen. When switched to PD by alt-tab or the lower icon, a similar message would display. It is of no consequence to me as I know it can happen if I load those early type windows apps because PD need to be on a higher display resolution setting. My display is already set at 1920x1080, 32 bit.

In this thread, a user with two 4k monitor is not reporting the issue at all with PD14: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45679.page and in this thread, a user with this issue is not cooperating: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45492.page . You might want to check your display settings with the DxDiag.txt. I know that you are a well experienced PD user. You might see something there when other apps are loaded along with PD.

If there are no such app loaded then it may be a bug that needs to be reported to Cyberlink tech support.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil & tomasc -

Thanks for lending your voice, but I haven't been doing anything historical or low-res. Nothing that would interfere with the screen resolution.

A few times since installing, I've had to temporarily reset the display to 1920x1080 to do screen captures. Not even Camtasia Studio is up to 4K capture.

The display preferences are set at the recommended 3840x2160.

In the screenshots above (at the time of the alerts) I was importing high res maps (~33MP) made in Route Generator & testing production profiles for 4K videos. The odd thing is that I've done both those things many dozens of times previously & since without any alert being triggered.

I'm not really bothered by it. I just click yes & keep going. Just odd, that's all.

Cheers - Tony
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Please see the attached screenshot from my monitor as stated in my last post.

1024x768 resolution question

There is something odd about the display of your 'information message'. Mine is in a rectangular widescreen while yours is square like that would be shown on a 4x3 or 5x4 monitor. Something is wrong if your screenshot is that from a 4k 16x9 monitor.

Below are some thoughts on this:

1. Your video card is connected to the 4k monitor with the old VGA connectors. Connect with the DVI connectors instead allows a much higher bandwidth and resolution to be set.

2. Your video card is connected to the 4k monitor with HDMI connectors. In this case you need to connect using the latest hdmi cable designed for 4k, hdmi 1.4, and not the older type.

3. Your video card does not support 4k resolutions. In this case. choose the highest resolution supported by the video card which is higher than 2k but less than 4k.

4. Your nVidia card driver is old in order to support hardware encoding. You may to update to the latest driver even if this mean loss of hardware encoding.

Your 4k monitor may require 2 HDMI cables connected to display the full 4k. It is more probable that the person in Arizona can help better in this case as I use an AMD card with the latest drivers which of course disables hardware encoding. There are other users that may be able to help solve the problem that you show in your screenshot. Others need to suggest a fix for this. Good Luck.

Let us know if any of this helps...laughing

Edit: Tony - you posted while I was still typing. I see that you are successful with the 4k resolution setting. You can disregard what I alreadty typed. It might be a bug. Hope that someone using a 4k monitor can help.
[Thumb - 1024x768Question2.jpg]
 Filename
1024x768Question2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Same information message but in widescreen.
 Filesize
256 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2015 14:14

ynotfish
[Post New]
Haha tomasc -

That reminds me of the old school test trick where there are 20 questions/tasks. The instruction at the top says "Please read all questions & instructions before beginning"...

1. Write your name __________________

2. Write your date of birth _____________

3. What is your address? ______________

and it continues to 20. (which says) Only complete 1. Ignore all other questions then submit your paper.

I just started explaining how my monitor was connected using a display port cable & how the GPU (GTX680) does support 4K & that the driver is up-to-date & that everything else works fine... then you said "disregard what I already typed" I should have read all the instructions! laughing

Yes - that's how the alert is displayed on the 4K monitor.

Thanks for your thinking.

Cheers - Tony