Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotation Keyframes limited to 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
In PDR14 the GUI in Keyframe > Clip Attributes is different to preevious versions. A rotation slider has been added. All good - but the rotation is restricted to 360° (i.e. the end of the slider). Typing in (say) "720.0" does nothing - it immediately reverts to 360.0 """undecided""" Screenshots attached

So - if one wants rotation >360° the only way to do it is in PiP Designer > Properties, where you can spin to your heart's content.

I've tested the same procedure in PDR13 & 12. In Keyframe > Clip Attributes, with no slider, whatever degree of rotation is typed is applied.

There's a small project attached for testing. It has two images with rotation already set - one in Keyframe > Clip Attributes & the other in PiP Designer > Properties, using the method show in this *video*

This is not a beta patch issue - same applies to 2019 & current beta patch.

I'd appreciate it if other members could confirm the issue.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR14 Rotation.png]
 Filename
PDR14 Rotation.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
113 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR13 Rotation.png]
 Filename
PDR13 Rotation.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)
 Filename
Rotation Keyframes.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
416 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 04:18

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I responded to this and I hope I didn't save it to a different titled thread .

Tony, I'm confused as to why there is a need to be able to specify anything over 360 degrees? Maybe - would it be because everyone does not know that 360 is like saying 0 degrees?

I know that 370 degrees is like the same rotational position as 10 degrees - 380 - like 20 degrees, etc...

So is there a need to be able to input anything greater than 360?

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'd appreciate it if other member could confirm the issue.

Yes, appears to be a strange rotation enforcement. Another area for improvement.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...I know that 370 degrees is like the same rotational position as 10 degrees - 380 - like 20 degrees, etc...
So is there a need to be able to input anything greater than 360?

Yep! There actually is if you want to have an object "roll" across the screen. 0-360° is perfectly fine for fixed rotations, but not for these, um, interesting uses starting about 11 seconds in wink:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Fair point optodata!

CS - would you want to limit an elite diver, snowboarder or gymnast to 360° spins, somersaults & flips? Probably not.

The main point is that PDR14 allows you to rotate an object however you wish in PiP Designer > Properties (unless you try to use the numbers), so it should allow the same flexibility in Keyframe > Clip Attributes.

The other point is that these things were easily possible in PDR12 & 13 - so why on earth not in PDR14. It doesn't make sense.

The attached video shows a time when you may need more than 360° of rotation. I did it in PDR14, but only by manually rotating the objects. Sure - it's not something you need every day but it should be there just in case.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Spinning Kokos.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1085 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
407 time(s)

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
ynotfish - In the PD14 pip designer, there is no problem whatsoever to rotate as many degrees as you want just like in the earlier versions. I only see that + - 360 degrees limitation in Keyframe not Modify.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi tomasc -

Thank you for taking an interest in the issue.

This is what I was referring to - sorry CP - I meant "this is the issue to which I referred"

That keyframe is actually set to 1080° - 3x360 - yet the scale cannot register that in PDR14. I set it to 3 full rotations by dragging the green handle.

This is using the current 2214 beta patch.

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
I have had occasion to look at the rotation facility in the PiP attributes, and yes, you can get greater than 360 degrees rotation. 8X360=2880 degrees rotation, the image appears to be spinning rapidly! I've used this to good effect in PD8 and it appears the same is available in PD14, so, when the need arises, I will use it. Such a rapid spin can be useful if you were to superimpose any circular image and have it appear from left f screen(rotate clockwise) or from right of screen(rotate anti-clockwise), or static in centre-screen(rotate in either direction while fading in or out).

Cheers!

Neil
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Think I understand now, you are telling the 'object' or image how many rotations it would 'do' (when specifying greater than 360 degrees).... Ah, ... get it. Thanks
CS

p.s. I was thinking that the rotation was being used as a positional feature instead of a feature in and of itself. Having something rotate completely and several times wasn't on mind - but I'm sure others will want to do something with that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2015 12:07

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, CS2014!

Glad to help! It's certainly a great effect! Could lead to some interesting ideas for animation, It's all in the imagination of the user what he/she might come up with.

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Dafydd -

Has this issue been passed on to to CL?

Thanks for following this up as you do other reported issues.

Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm starting to "get the hang" of the "scale" effect, using the motion properties. I can now make the individual letters in each word I spell out on screen, shrink as they spin away to whichever point on(or off) screen that I choose, using the grid as reference.

Something else I'm quick to notice, each time an item(image) is placed on an overlay(PiP) track, another PiP track opens under the one you've just used, Very intuitive of PD14 to do this! If you've added all the extra content on PiP that you require, you then simply remove the unrequired extra PiP track that appeared after you inerted your last overlay item.

In the words of Arte Johnson on "Laugh-In" years ago, "Veeeerrrryyyy Interesting!!!"

Cheers!

Neil.