Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using BETA PATCHES
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Some members use beta patches to help CL evaluate software patches. Reading the forum, predictably this involves problems like having to re-install previous versions etc

This can be avoided by the simple expedient of a C drive backup made before the patch is installed. There are many free programs available, I have used TrueImage for at least 12 years with excellent results. Still use Ver 2010.

I have gone a step further by installing 3 Kingwin 3.5" Internal Tray-Less Hot Swap Racks on my desktop computer so that the three HDD can be swapped in the time it takes to re-boot. Cost under $20 ea, have used them for at least 7 years.

So to test a patch (or other equally dangerous excercises) a clone of the C drive is made, that clone is then used for the evaluation, reverting to to the original version can be done in minutes. My C drive is a SSD drive and kept very lean by using the 2 other removable drives to store videos, data etc.The C drive holds programs only.

So cloning the SSD C drive can be done in minutes, I do that every few weeks including weekly C drive backups to two external drives.

My SSD drives have a 3 year warranty, I was assured that they would last longer than that, even with the bi weekly cloning. And who cares with a clone and backups on hand. I paid less than half for the 250Gb SSD drives than for the 2 , 300Gb 10 000 RPM HDD I used before .

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 22. 2015 13:25

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sound like that you are doing the right thing here. In the past you like to partition the boot drive for os, apps, etc. Since the registry is in the os partition I guess that you are not partitioning the ssd like you did with hard drives in the past. Sounds good to me.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Actually the SSD drive is 3 partitons, C for important programs like win7, PD14 MSxx etc, D for less important items like video players, format factory, email files etc, and E for PDS files from PD12 13 14.

My weekly backups using TrueImage are the entire SSD drive, C D E, NOT incremental. Of the total 250Gb SSD only about half is used.

In 3 or so month time I delete some weekly backups (on external drives normally powered down) and keep 1 for each month, after a year one for each 6 month. I can still restore my PC to what it was on day 1, over 5 years ago, or the day when I first installed PD12. Storage is cheap!.

And if I had to go to day 1, it would be on a different drive, the current drive unplugged and sitting on a shelf ready to go back in operation within a few minutes.

And, to simpify and speed up editing, the other two HHD's are partitioned as well. In fact of the over 12 hard drives I use, depending on what I am doing, only two I think, are NOT partitioned.

I learned all this the hard way in over 16 years of PC video editing, like OH NO, the C drive just died, have to install everything all over, lost all email addresses. Been there, done that. But not again, ever.

Eugene

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 22. 2015 15:24

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
Eugen157
[Post New]
Dafydd,

on your beta patches, you might consider putting in a caveat, like

"back up your PC before doing this"

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 13:24

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
FYI - I've yet to have such serious issues that a full reversal is required as most patches are relatively successful. It is a simple procedure to revert to a previous version. Win 10, i7
Eugen157
[Post New]
Thanks good to know. Maybe that fact might be mentioned too?

I was referring to posts like "all my paid CL apps are now gone" etc

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,