Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED - PD The Various Production Formats - What do they mean to ME? And will they 'play' on.....
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I'm NOT very literate when it comes to what all the options are with producing a video in PD or any software. I want to learn what resulting qualities are from all the various options of production - what will a MPEG2 video look like versus a H.264 - what a MOVlooks like compared to a MPEG4... etc...

I'm wanting to learn what is the production process that I should go through to produce a certain result of video/DVD movie...etc... Saw in one thread that I shuld be going throuth the 'Produce' tab before jsut burning a DVD but know I haven't done that every time I burned. So, SHOULD I BE?(going through the Produce first ... then burning?

Recently I've seen a thread that mentioned the DVD made - the clips looked lower resoultion than the clips as they played in WMP when they were imported off the GoPro and then viewed - compared to the clips as in the DVD made form them. SO I looked at my DVDs made and I can see a difference too.

So I think, I do NOT understand properly, what the options are (in production), my equipment limitations and capabilities. I want to develolpe a 'wish list' adn try to gravitate to producing HD resolution DVDs.

So I'm not trying to re-discuss all this if redirects to previous threads will provide me this knowledge. If I should go to dirrecent websites - please feel free to redirect me and/or comment here.

THanks in advance.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2015 16:13

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm NOT very literate when it comes to what all the options are with producing a video in PD or any software. I want to learn what resulting qualities are from all the various options of production - what will a MPEG2 video look like versus a H.264 - what a MOVlooks like compared to a MPEG4... etc...
The two formats look almost the same. MPEG2 videos are a bit larger files sizes due the less compression compared to H.264.

I'm wanting to learn what is the production process that I should go through to produce a certain result of video/DVD movie...etc... Saw in one thread that I shuld be going throuth the 'Produce' tab before jsut burning a DVD but know I haven't done that every time I burned. So, SHOULD I BE?(going through the Produce first ... then burning?

Recently I've seen a thread that mentioned the DVD made - the clips looked lower resoultion than the clips as they played in WMP when they were imported off the GoPro and then viewed - compared to the clips as in the DVD made form them. SO I looked at my DVDs made and I can see a difference too.
A DVD Video is Standard Definition only, the format was defined before High Definition TV. The Resolution is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL. The High Definition disk is Bluray, good for up to 1920x1080.

So I think, I do NOT understand properly, what the options are (in production), my equipment limitations and capabilities. I want to develolpe a 'wish list' adn try to gravitate to producing HD resolution DVDs.
What output you choose has more to do with the purpose of the video.

So I'm not trying to re-discuss all this if redirects to previous threads will provide me this knowledge. If I should go to dirrecent websites - please feel free to redirect me and/or comment here.

THanks in advance.

CS
There are many sites that have Tutorials for Powerdirector and editing tips.

This one is known as PDtoots: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/41501.page

Cyberlink has some also: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45525.page Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the links, I've seen the first one but need to look at a few of those with more attention regarding their issue.

I have not seen Dafydd's link though... before, THanks!

A question I have is do I need to run the project through the 'Produce' tab in PD before I want to burn it on a DVD? Will doing so create a higher resolution appearing video on the DVD disc? Maybe those questions aren't really valid even

I know I need to get a Blue Ray player to expect to see a DVD I create in PD - in HD and that the TV must be HD also. I'm 99% sure the TV is HD as it is relatively new - 2 years old maybe.

So once I get my Blu-ray player and create a discs or 2 in H.264, I'll probably be back with a few questions. Until then, I'll put solved on this title .

THanks Carl

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 21. 2015 16:10

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You do not need to produce before going to Create Disk. Create Disk renders the video to the Disk format.

That said, there are times when it is beneficial to produce a Video of the correct format to burn to a Disk. A good example is converting high definition content to standard definition content, Producing first gives better results sometimes. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CS2014
[Post New]
Thanks Carl.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB