Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error importing mp3 sound clip
RonFromFields [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2013 17:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have just installed PD14 and to my surprise it's not able to read my music clips from a PD11 project. Such message appears:

"An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format"

The file is a mp3 from a Creative Commons website, file details say it's not a protected content, neither its's broken or unsupported.

To my surprise another mp3 clip - classical music - imported flawlessly.

I'm lost. Help.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I have just installed PD14 and to my surprise it's not able to read my music clips from a PD11 project. Such message appears:

"An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format"

The file is a mp3 from a Creative Commons website, file details say it's not a protected content, neither its's broken or unsupported.

I'm lost. Help.
I would try a file converter on the bad MP3 file, there appears to be something wrong with the file for Powerdirector. Try converting to WAV. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, RonFromFields!

Another trick could be to resave the audio as MP3 but under an amended title. The new MP3 file will be the same content but will effectively be a different file altogether as far as the computer "sees" it. The new, amended-title file should then import to PD14 without too may problems. It'd be like Carl312 wearing a "Ronald Reagan" mask(sorry, Carl!), same item - but "disguised" as something else.

Cheers!

Neil.
RonFromFields [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, Neil,
thank you for your effort. Both of the ideas should work fine, however it'll not save me work on re-editing my project. Soundtrack files are shredded a bit to fit the video.

Still I don't understand why the files are rejected by software? Is there anyone from Cyberlink official engineers present on this forum?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RonFromFields -

I have no idea why an MP3 that worked fine in PDR11 cannot be imported into PDR14. CL engineers don't frequent this forum as far as I'm aware.

You should not need to re-edit your project if you're able to convert the .mp3 successfully. I assume that the original .mp3 plays fine in media players.

Try this:

1. Take the "bad" mp3 file (let's say it's named "audio.mp3" in your PDR11 project) and convert it to .mp3 in Format Factory, iTunes or whatever you prefer. Name it (say) "audio1.mp3"

2. Test "audio1.mp3" in a new project - no need to save it - just test the import.

3. Place "audio1.mp3" in the same folder as the original

4. Rename the original to "bad" & rename "audio1.mp3" to "audio.mp3"

5. Open your project with PDR14 - if PDR happens to ask where "audio" is, just browse to the location. It shouldn't do that, though.

6. The edits you made in PDR11 should be present in the project, negating the need to re-edit.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2015 03:37

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RonFromFields [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, thank you, that should work indeed. Will let you know.
I'm emailing customer service anyway, just to let them know problem appeared.

Cheers, Ron
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Tony(Ynotfish),

That's fairly similar to what I suggested, save again in same audio format but under altered title. Great minds thinking alike, ay?

Cheers!

Neil.
LynnM45 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2016 21:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I have just installed PD14 and to my surprise it's not able to read my music clips from a PD11 project. Such message appears:

I'm lost. Help.
I would try a file converter on the bad MP3 file, there appears to be something wrong with the file for Powerdirector. Try converting to WAV.

I get the same error when I try to import sound clips from DirectorZone. These are Cyberlink files. Why would there be something wrong with them?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi LynnM45 -

This is a pretty old thread, & not related to MP3 import.

When you download .dza files (audio clips) from DZ, you have to double click to install them. They're .M4A files and are stored at C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded Audio.

Once installed you don't need to import them. You should find them in the Media Library under the Downloaded drop-down.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!