Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ISO 3D Blu-ray Black flashes bottom half of screen
vertices86 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2015 18:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Running powerDVD 15 on Win 8.1 on an Intel NUC with 16GB of RAM and HD4000 grpahics. Everything is fine on the same setup using Total Media Theater 6. Using PowerDVD15, many of my ISOs, not all but many, show a random black flash that takes up the bottom half of the screen for a single frame. Usually it happens during lots of action or very fast camera movements. It actually appears to be a gradient, darker on the left side of the screen than the right. It's so weird. It's very jarring though and ruins the experience. Any time I see this I have to go back and use TMT6 which doesn't play quite as smooth as PDVD15.

I've disabled all the automatic color and such that PowerDVD provides and it still does it. I can fire the exact same ISO up in TMT6 and it plays fine. Since TMT6 is a dead product, I purchased PDVD 15 to replace it. I like PDVD better in all aspects other than these godforsaken black flashes that happen.

Has anyone else seen this or have any idea why PowerDVD has this issue? Plex Home Theater also plays fine on this system, although I only use that for 2D.

~Edit -- Also wanted to add that I've had this happen on all versions of 15 up to and including the latest beta patch at the top of this forum.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2015 18:48

stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I may have seen something similar and it was fixed by turning off Hardware Acceleration for the video card in the PDVD video settings.
vertices86 [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I do all of the following, it seems to reduce the amount of black flashes by around 50%. However it doesn't cure them.

1. Copy ISO to local SSD so it's not streaming over gigabit
2. Disable Hardware acceleration
3. Disable all video enhancements

It's so odd how only certain ISOs are affected and it doesn't matter how many times I re-rip them.

Avengers 2, Prometheus, perfect every time, even streaming and with acceleration and enhancements. Mad Max Fury Road, black flashes no matter what I do, but reduced with above settings. Yet all play fine on the same system with TMT6.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
It's so odd how only certain ISOs are affected and it doesn't matter how many times I re-rip them.

Avengers 2, Prometheus, perfect every time, even streaming and with acceleration and enhancements. Mad Max Fury Road, black flashes no matter what I do, but reduced with above settings. Yet all play fine on the same system with TMT6.

Perhaps it's because different codecs are used for some movies compared to others.
I've noticed some flashes on Terminator Genysis recently but for me it occurs over the whole screen.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I just uninstalled PowerDVD and removed all Cyberlink folders and registry settings. I then re-installed and set up everything and noticed the flashing was still happening. I then removed all Cyberlink disc mounting devices in Device Manager (some might be hidden so select "Show hidden devices"). I then installed the latest patch (PowerDVD_15.0.2211.58_Patch_DVD150828-09.exe) and it now plays 3D ISOs perfectly.

Happy!
vertices86 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the latest patch and re-ripped Mad Max yet again, same thing. What I didn't do is completely uninstall everything. I guess I can try that later but I don't have high hopes.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good luck.
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well I just uninstalled PowerDVD and removed all Cyberlink folders and registry settings. I then re-installed and set up everything and noticed the flashing was still happening. I then removed all Cyberlink disc mounting devices in Device Manager (some might be hidden so select "Show hidden devices"). I then installed the latest patch (PowerDVD_15.0.2211.58_Patch_DVD150828-09.exe) and it now plays 3D ISOs perfectly.

Happy!

Do encrypted disc based blurays still work after disabling this? Cyberlink seem to use a whole bunch of ring 0 kernel mode processes to handle the copy protection in bluray disc playback. By the way, Cyberlink PDVD15 fails Microsots device driver verification tools and does not meet the windows platform readiness that comes from positive test results using Microsofts tools.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
I deleted previous Cyberlink devices, not disabled. And left the latest installed Cyberlink devices alone.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2015 23:03

Kevtech2503 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ireland Joined: Feb 12, 2014 07:39 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I installed the latest patch and re-ripped Mad Max yet again, same thing. What I didn't do is completely uninstall everything. I guess I can try that later but I don't have high hopes.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a large 3D Blu-ray collection & find this an issue mainly with Warner Bros titles like Gravity. I use PowerDVD 14 with up to date patches.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a large 3D Blu-ray collection & find this an issue mainly with Warner Bros titles like Gravity. I use PowerDVD 14 with up to date patches.

Yes, read a few posts back.
Kevtech2503 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ireland Joined: Feb 12, 2014 07:39 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a large 3D Blu-ray collection & find this an issue mainly with Warner Bros titles like Gravity. I use PowerDVD 14 with up to date patches.

Yes, read a few posts back.

Thanks for replying. Powerdvd 14 does not install devices so none to delete. Peculiar that the problem is only with WB 3D bluray. I will keep using TMT6 to play these.