Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED - A Question or two(or x+1) about Production Format, Burning DVDs and Resolution PD13
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Please accept my apologies if this is more focused on video production and not PD13 specific issues. Seriously, I've been slightly struggling with if I should have posted this or not as I realize my ignorance on video production is enormous.

I've been working all this past Summer on composing all the video and pictures into a few DVDs that I've successfully burned in MPeg2 format. I shot most, if not all the video, from a GoPro Hero 4 Silver at 1920-1080p - 60fps. These all improted fine and like I've stated I've burned several DVD's of the project.

But, (there's always a 'but' isn't there?) I thought I would have a much higher resolution viewing experience while viewing my DVD as played from the DVD player that is feeding the TV. DVD player is a Sony DVP-SR200P.

Am I NOT using the correct format selection to produce the proper higher resolution video on the DVD? I think I burned the DVDs with the MPEG2 selection - I am trying to recall the Profile name/quality that I selected but I'm betting it was the 1920x1080/60interlaced.

I think I tried to burn a H.264 disc in the past but this would not play on the current DVD player I am using (Sony DVP - SR200P) - ahh.. I know it's OLD, go ahead and say it TIME FOR A NEW DVD player and perhaps I should get one more capable of truly high resolution? Would this be Blue-Ray player then (that I should be shopping for) - or is there HD DVD players that are NOT Blueray? Is PD13 capable of producing and burning Blue-Ray DVD discs? Would I still use the DVD-R discs to burn AVCHD or H.264 DVDs in the future?

Is it time for me to purchase a DVD player that can play Blue-Ray and AVCHD? Can a DVD player handle playing BOTH of those? Will I be able to burn those sorts of discs (with my CURRENT disc drive in the computer)? (I'll include my Dxdiag for reference)

Again apologies for the amount of ignorance displayed.

CS
 Filename
DxDiag-10-6-15.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
352 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 19. 2015 21:29

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The short answer is that you need a BR disc and player to be able to watch your videos in HD. DVDs and players do not have the capacity to do that, as this Wikipedia clearly *shows*

And yes, PD can easily burn BR discs. All you need is a suitable burner, and you can get an internal one to replace your current DVD burner or get an external one that connects to USB. Fortunately, the hardware is much less expensive than it used to be, and you may find what you need for under $50.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2015 18:59

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
But my disc drive that I currently have (as listed in the DxDiag) Drive: G:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHB0N
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.03.9600.16384 (English), 8/22/2013 04:46:35, 164352 bytes

This isn't a Blu-Ray compatible burning drive is it? Looks like I'll have to invest in such a drive do for this computer in order to burn BLu-Ray along with getting a BLu-ray player. The player I can probably get by with an affordable one ~ $100. Will look into what the computer drive I should get next.

Thanks for the response -

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this link: http://burners.burn4free.com/hitachi-lg-data-storage/hl-dt-st-ghb0n.htm for the spec and what that optical drive can read and write. It is not a blu-ray reader or writer.

Are you running PD13 deluxe... then see this link: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/compare_en_US.html . Scroll down to Format support. It looks like that you won't be able to burn BD or avchd discs (dvd). You must upgrade to the ultra or the ultimate edition to do that. The comparison link is for PD14 but that applies to PD13 also.

You might want to pay double the price for a BD burner for a retail instead of an oem drive which includes PowerDVD which will work with win7 but not with win 8 or win 10. You will then be allowed to update to PDVD12 for free which may work with your win 8 with another free update. That version plays Blu-rays, avchd, and the newer avchd 2.0 format with menus on memory sticks created by PD13. Head over to the PDVD previous version forum and see my answers to recent posts there. The only minus here is that the installer of the oem version may not work with win 8. You may want to start a post a new topic and get an answer first.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: But my disc drive that I currently have (as listed in the DxDiag) Drive: G:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHB0N
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.03.9600.16384 (English), 8/22/2013 04:46:35, 164352 bytes

This isn't a Blu-Ray compatible burning drive is it?
Sorry, it's not The part where it says DVD-RAM would need to say BD-RE for BluRay Disc REwritable, like my version: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14N60

Looks like I'll have to invest in such a drive do for this computer in order to burn BLu-Ray along with getting a BLu-ray player. The player I can probably get by with an affordable one ~ $100. Will look into what the computer drive I should get next.
Oh no, you can get both for around $100!

Here's my exact burner drive on *Amazon* for $52, and there are plenty of year-old or factory certified refurbished players for under $50 at Amazon or you can often find a decent player on sale at Walmart or BestBuy for a simliar price.

EDIT: tomasc posted while I was typing my reply, and I completely missed the part about PD13 Deluxe. The drive I pointed to on Amazon is a "bulk" drive, which means it doesn't come with any software. That's perfectly OK as long as you already have a compatible version of PD, but it wouldn't be a good choice if you're looking to get a version with PowerDVD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2015 02:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata - I think that is the BD burner with the Cyberlink software bundle for 77.99 : http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Rewriter-WH14NS40/dp/B007YWMCA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444887819&sr=8-3&keywords=blu+ray+burner . I paid about 100 for it 3 years ago. The bundle gives you the PDVD10 for a few dollars more than for the bare drive for someone who needs it. Both are good deals.
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, that's definitely it. So now OP has a choice for the burner with or without software, whichever works best. Thanks for the link

YouTube/optodata

CS2014
[Post New]
tomasc.... Thanks for the link ..... I've got PD13 Ultimate(should be showing up at the bottom of each message window I hope as it is here) so I don't think I will have any issue with PD will I as far as creating a proper format that will eventually play on my new Blu-Ray DVD player that will be feeding my TV - (provided the following takes place......) -

that I get a disc drive for my computer that will burn & read Blu-Ray discs. This looks to be like the drive you and optodata are suggesting :

LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter WH14NS40 - Bulk Drive - Black

Does the LG drive replace the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHB0N drive IN my computer or does it sit externally? I'm alright with either but if it goes inside, I'm wanting to make sure all the connections are identical and the physical configuration of the LG will fit into the same spot in the Lenovo k450e (my computer framework - if I'm using that term right).

Only remaining question/s is/are, do I need the $77 version that comes with the Cyberlink software or can I get the 'bare' drive??? Is this software needed to operate the LG drive when I am just using PD13 Ultimate or is it software that I need for the drive to operate after it's installed in my computer - just to operate in my computer? ....OR is the CL software only needed if I had PD Deluxe -but I have Ultimate so am I ok WITHOUT getting software and I can just purchase the 'bare' drive?

You can tell by my questions, I'm REALLY NOT a computer 'guy' and I feel so stupid by asking such explicit questions, but it's almost compulsive that I must ask such. I do apologize if this is NOT the intent of this forum but thank you for all the time you guys put into people, like me, helping them out!

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 15. 2015 09:09

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Does the LG drive replace the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHB0N drive IN my computer or does it sit externally? I'm alright with either but if it goes inside, I'm wanting to make sure all the connections are identical and the physical configuration of the LG will fit into the same spot in the Lenovo k450e (my computer framework - if I'm using that term right).

You can tell by my questions, I'm REALLY NOT a computer 'guy'
CS

I see information overload here. That particular BD burner is internal and was installed in one of my pc 3 years ago. It was an easy swap out as the dimensions are standard size as was the drive I took out. There were only 2 electrical connections: 1 for power and 1 for data.

You only need to purchase a bare drive. Nothing else need to be purchased. I have found that a commercial software BD players gives a much better viewing experience. It is necessary to view those encrypt rental BD. It also allows you to check a BD you create without leaving your pc.

You should be able to install the drive with no problem as many users do upgrades themselves. The following link is the manual for the case of your pc: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_k450e_ug_v1.0_win81_en_online_20140421.pdf . It shows you how to remove and install components in your pc. Page 40 in the manual show you how to replace that optical drive.
CS2014
[Post New]
I apologize tomasc, for my rambling on but I was trying to explain that I think I do so because I'm NOT a 'computer guy'. Thus my being as explicit as I was/am. I did't know the industry standardized the connections or the physical size and mounting attachment points for all computer components. From this conversation I'm gathering that they did and I'm GLAD they did!

I have seen the manual about replacing the optical drive and I thought that was the thing that I was going to have to do to upgrade to a Blu-Ray drive. THanks for the link though - I've got that manual and details on swaping out the drive.

I guess I just wanted to make sure though... I don't need any new drivers or anything? That would seem strange to me but, like I've repeated, I'm not a computer guy.

THanks again for the feedback.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You don't need any new drivers because win 8.1 already support blu-ray and will install the necessary drivers automatically after the physical drive installation and the pc is powered up the next time. You will see the familiar Detected new device, and installing device driver, and your new drive is ready to use popup screens.

Good luck. Have fun.
CS2014
[Post New]
Thanks a lot tomasc !!!!
CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2015 15:35