Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 does not recognize microphone
dianddra9999 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: atlanta, ga Joined: May 07, 2014 20:37 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded to PD14 from PD12. In PD12 I would record an audio capture and was able to select my default microphone, a Blue Yeti USB mic, from a drop down menu. in PD14 it only shows my headset mic which is inferior quality.

I have PD14 Ultra 14.0.2019.0

SR# VDE150716-01

Windows 10

Blue Yeti USB microphone set as the DEFAULT microphone.

Realtek high definition audio microphone (headset)
[Thumb - bandicam 2015-10-08 14-57-27-430.png]
 Filename
bandicam 2015-10-08 14-57-27-430.png
[Disk]
 Description
Blue Yeti set as default mic
 Filesize
369 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
[Thumb - bandicam 2015-10-08 14-57-18-592.png]
 Filename
bandicam 2015-10-08 14-57-18-592.png
[Disk]
 Description
Blue Yeti Mic not showing
 Filesize
356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
136 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
313 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2015 17:22

Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 4gig RAM

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't offer you a solution to your audio problem, but I recognize the problem with mics and Win 10. I have ongoing problems with setting of audio capture in Win 10 - not only in PD. There's got to be something with Win 10 mixing things up ? As for attachment, scrill a bit down when posting and you'll see "attachments".

regards,

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
dianddra9999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! I got the attachments on there now. Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dianddra9999

I can think of a couple of things to try straight away.

First, see if there's a newer driver available for your Yeti headset. The DxDiag results show that the installed driver is dated 7/9/15, and while it's definitely a Win10 driver, they may have released a newer version since then which might correct the issue you're having.

Another thing to try is to close PD and open up the PD14 Screen Recorder, then see if the mic options (from the Settings menu) are any different there. If you're able to select the Yeti for the SR program, maybe that will carry over to PD.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Optodata!

At the moment I'm sussing out the possibility of getting my hands on PD14 through my local Leading Edge Computers reseller, though I won't know until Monday, 12th October.

The microphone I currently use is analogue, and fed to my computer through an audio mixer connected to the computer's audio line-in.

In general practice, though, I don't record my narration directly to the Power Director audio track, my practice is(normally) as follows:

Edit video and render to a point where I can view the video and make notes about what to say and where on the video to insert the comment(I prepare a narration script, in other words. My community radio trainng comes in handy). On completing the script(written in Microsoft Word) I print it out and open an audio recording programme, record my narration track, then edit it and clean it up(take out breaths and any other "noises") then save as MP3 with a file name appropriate to my video. I then import the narration track along with the video, I then drag and drop the narration track onto the narration track. To place the comments where I want them, the narration track is placed at the point where my first comment should be, play to the end of that comment, pause and split the highlighted audio, then, with Ctrl+X, cut the audio(goes to clipboard), play the video to the next point where I want comment, then with Ctrl+V, paste the narration, repeating this process until all comments are where I want them. I might then add music then do the final render(title already added before I add the narration). That's my method, somewhat involved but it works for me! But should I need to do a direct narration straight to the voice track, will PD14 "recognise" my analogue microphone? As it comes in via the inbuilt sound card(Realtek).

Cheers!

Neil.
dianddra9999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata, I did as you suggested. The PD screen recorder recognizes my Blue Yeti. Loading up PD14 after that, it still did not recognize the Blue Yeti. I then checked the blue yeti site for drivers and found this:

"HASSLE-FREE SETUPSimply plug Yeti into your computer's USB port with the included USB cable, calibrate it with your operating system, and you're ready to record—rain, shine, or snow. Yeti offers driver-free operation, while the Yeti Pro requires easy-to-install drivers, available from Blue. "

I then went into device manager, saw the blue yeti, unplugged it, whereupon it vanished from DM, and re-plugged it in, and it re-appeared in DM, I did not see any sign of it installing any drivers. (mine is the plain blue yeti, not the blue yeti pro)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 10:59

Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Optodata, I did as you suggested. The PD screen recorder recognizes my Blue Yeti. Loading up PD14 after that, it still did not recognize the Blue Yeti...

I then went into device manager, saw the blue yeti, unplugged it, whereupon it vanished from DM, and re-plugged it in, and it re-appeared in DM, I did not see any sign of it installing any drivers. (mine is the plain blue yeti, not the blue yeti pro)
OK. As Nina mentioned earlier, I've also seen some not-quite-right audio issues in Win10, but for me they're with my bluetooth headphones. Getting them to take over correctly when I turn them on took quite a bit of troubleshooting.

In your case, the simplest option would be to just use the Screen Recorder app for your voice work. When you're finished the recording will automatically appear on your timeline. The SR app will even launch PD14 to put the track in for you, so it's almost no extra work, and you'll just need to unlink the video and audio if you want to place the clip in the music or mic track. You can also uncheck the "enable/disable this track" box for the video section:

If you want to have it work in PD14 like it used to do in PD12, you could try going to Device Manager and expand the Bluetooth tab. Right-click on each entry, EVEN your Yeti that you just refreshed, and choose Uninstall and check the box every time you're prompted to delete the device drivers. You can also left-click on each item and click the uninstall button and do the same thing.

Once you've uninstalled evrything listed under the Bluetooth, restart your computer and let Windows go online to retrieve and install the latest drivers for everything. With any luck, that will clear up the issue and PD14 will finally "see" your Yeti and let you choose it.

Quote: Hi, Optodata!....will PD14 "recognise" my analogue microphone? As it comes in via the inbuilt sound card(Realtek).
Hi Neil

It's up to Windows to recognize the mic and PD will simply present the list of devices that Windows shares with it. Since your in-built card is currently working and you're not going to be updating Windows at the same time, I would expect that PD14 would work normally for you as soon as it's installed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata!

Thanks for the info!

"Blue Yeti"? Sounds like the abominable Snowman caught out in the cold and extremely miserable!smile

Cheers!

Neil.
dianddra9999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil, yeah Blue is the brand, and Yeti is the model. its a desk top mic, large and heavy but very good quality! Mine is mounted on an arm so I can move it close to my mouth. Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40ghz 16 gig RAM
win 10

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, dianddra9999!

Re: Blue Yeti, I was having a bit of a joke there! My microphone is analogue and feeds in via an audio mixer. I only use it for narration purposes. It's mounted on a desk stand with a "gooseneck" between the base(nice & heavy so it doesn't move around too much) and the clip that holds the microphone.

Cheers!

Neil.