Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AND nVidia
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Yes and in the moment a NVIDIA 358.50 Update !!!cool

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 19:37

Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Sadly, this new driver is still no good for my 750Ti .
[Thumb - screenshot.png]
 Filename
screenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
nVidia error 6 : application requested more GPU memory than is available in the system
 Filesize
7034 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)
[Thumb - screenshot2.png]
 Filename
screenshot2.png
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector crashing after I cliked OK on the nVidia pop-up
 Filesize
7446 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
48 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2015 22:21

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Julien

I have PD12-14 running on my Win10 machine (upgraded from Win8.1 in July) and I 've had no serious issues with my 780Ti with any nVidia driver version going back several months. I'm not talking about HE issues, just problems that would shut down PD.

I've seen multiple threads where you've been posting about the various problems you've encountered, and it's fairly clear that while some of the issues you've found are bugs in PD14, something must also be amiss on your machine to have errors like this one.

Forgive me if you've posted your DxDiag results elsewhere, but since this is a new thread it would be helpful to see if there might be anything lurking down in the details that might explain your GPU memory issue.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata,

5 of the 6 issues I filed bug reports with Cyberlink were reproduced by them, so I don't think they are problems with my machine.

The main issue with nVidia drivers that I have reported was also reproduced by other forum members using the same nVidia 750Ti GPU.Nevertheless, I have attached my Dxdiag.

I should note that the issues I have been encountering do not necessarily affect every project and every type of rendering the same way.

See in particular this thread at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45534.page .

The project is in the original post.Download it at https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1eSSO_7gwqed2tWdF9TNWxiZ0E

Render it in H.264 M2TS, AVC 4K 3840x2160/30p 50 Mbps, with the hardware encoder.

Doing so works fine with drivers 347.88 here.

But with most drivers above that, I was getting M2TS files with audio only, and no video in them, with the original PD14 release.

This issue was reproduced by Cyberlink, and fixed issue in the latest PD14 patch 2130 - I tested it successfully with nVidia drivers 355.98 . The rendered file had video properly.

However, the hardware rendering also took 9 minutes instead of 4 minutes with drivers 347.88 .

With the latest nVidia drivers 358.60 and the latest PD14 patch, the rendering time was going back down to the 4 minute range, actually, it looked like it was going to complete in less than that, until I got the "GPU out of memory" pop-up from the nVidia drivers.

I had to downgrade to nVidia drivers 347.88 once more, and all is fine again with the rendered file and rendering time of 4 minutes.

With simpler projects in HD instead of 4K, or rendering to MP4 container rather than M2TS, the issues sometimes go away.

I just seem to always be running into the many cases that don't work, somehow.

I have noticed that nVidia is now issuing separate driver binaries for Windows 7/8/8.1 vs Windows 10 .

It's possible the nVidia bugs are not the same between those two sets of binaries.

I'm running Windows 7, and you are running Windows 10, so that's another variable. We have different GPUs as well.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
291 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2015 19:54

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for posting the results. I don't see any red flags there and I'm aware that CL had been able to reproduce some of the issues you've reported, but am I correct in assuming that the GPU memory bug is the one they haven't addressed/replicated?

By any chance, do you have any of the nVidia 3D or Miracast drivers loaded? There have been several cases in the past where those apps interfered in odd ways with PD, and they're automatically installed unless you do a Custom installation and uncheck everything but the graphics driver.

Usually the HD Audio and PhysX programs don't cause any problems, but I think it's worth uninstalling the other apps - even the GeForce Experience app - at least for testing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for posting the results. I don't see any red flags there and I'm aware that CL had been able to reproduce some of the issues you've reported, but am I correct in assuming that the GPU memory bug is the one they haven't addressed/replicated?

By any chance, do you have any of the nVidia 3D or Miracast drivers loaded? There have been several cases in the past where those apps interfered in odd ways with PD, and they're automatically installed unless you do a Custom installation and uncheck everything but the graphics driver.

Usually the HD Audio and PhysX programs don't cause any problems, but I think it's worth uninstalling the other apps - even the GeForce Experience app - at least for testing.

I have never heard of Miracast.

I only ever install the base nVidia graphics driver.

When I try a new version, I use Display Driver uninstaller first, and then do a clean nVidia of the base graphics driver only.

I always do the custom installation, with no PhysX, no 3D, no HD audio, no Geforce experience or anything else.

I may just have to file yet another bug on Cyberlink about the GPU out of memory error, indeed. I did not report that issue before - it happened only a few times in the past - most of the time, the rendering succeeded, but the produced MTS file had no audio.

When I tried the 358.60 drivers yesterday, the very first hardware rendering I did encountered the out of memory issue. Maybe it's intermittent, but once that happened, I did not try again - I immediately went back to 347.88 .

I have already wasted so much time with all these nVidia vs Cyberlink problems. I am very much a PC guy and have built my own PCs since the age of 12 from parts, but this is really the sort of thing that makes me consider the value of a system that's more self-contained, with fewer possible combinations of parts and software versions for something to go wrong potentially. I never thought I would say this, but maybe something like a Mac is the way to go. Of course PowerDirector isn't available on Mac.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2015 21:13

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
[Post New]
That's what I thought, but it was worth a shot because none of those would have shown up in the DxDiag results.

Here's some info on *Miracast* but it sounds like it's not an issue if you've never seen or used it.

I wonder what GPU-Z shows with regard to the memory usage just prior to the GPU OOM crash. Is it really way up at 2k/4k (depending on whether GPU-Z counts shared system RAM or not)? I also wonder if that might be where the issue is. For example, maybe PD or the nVidia driver is expecting 4GB of dedicated memory when only 2GB is available.

Have there been any firmware updates issued for your 750Ti?

YouTube/optodata

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That's what I thought, but it was worth a shot because none of those would have shown up in the DxDiag results.

Here's some info on *Miracast* but it sounds like it's not an issue if you've never seen or used it.

Correct.

I wonder what GPU-Z shows with regard to the memory usage just prior to the GPU OOM crash. Is it really way up at 2k/4k (depending on whether GPU-Z counts shared system RAM or not)? I also wonder if that might be where the issue is. For example, maybe PD or the nVidia driver is expecting 4GB of dedicated memory when only 2GB is available.

The GPU-Z was actually shown in my screenshot, one of the monitors. It was up in the 1400 MB range in the screenshot I think, I believe I saw it around 1700MB before. I don't think GPU-Z is counting the shared memory. It's certainly possible that it was trying to allocate more than 2GB, which is what my card has.

The nVidia drivers support all cards regardless of how much video RAM there is.

Cyberlink has never made any statement about requiring a 4GB video card for 4K.

I don't really understand why it would need such massive amounts of RAM for encoding in the first place.

I thought the GPU RAM amount only mattered for 3D games.

My 3 monitor display with two at 2560x1600x32 bits and 1080x1920x32 bits requires 16,384,000 + 16,384,000 + 8294400 = 39.16 MB for the frame buffer . Yet the computer boots up with about 400 MB GPU RAM in use, which seems crazy. I don't know where else that GPU RAM is all going. I ran for years with the same displays with a pair of video cards with only 256MB RAM each. I still have an 8600GT in a drawer that can drive those two 2560x1600 monitors just fine - but not with current nVidia drivers. And the CUDA encoder was definitely very slow on it, much slower than my current CPU. Also, to be fair, the CUDA encoder never did 4K .

I just tried encoding the test case project again.

Surprise - this time PowerDirector isn't letting me select AVC 4K / M2TS target at all for the hardware encoder !

And this is after I reverted to the 347.88 drivers. So, perhaps the latest PD patch broke something. Sigh.

It let me select AVC 4K / MP4 .

During most of the rendering, the GPU-Z showed GPU RAM usage of about 650MB.

But after it completed, it went to the 1GB range! Very strange. Closing PowerDirector reverted it back to the 400MB range.

Perhaps a 4GB video card is needed for 4K encoding, but if that is the case, IMO, that should be made clear by Cyberlink & nVidia. And they do sell cards that support 4K encoding with only 2GB, so I think that shouldn't be the case in the first place.

Have there been any firmware updates issued for your 750Ti?

I just checked, and unfortunately no.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 06:41

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI, here is a screen capture that shows how PD build 2130 is letting me select M2TS AVC 4K 4096x2160 hardware rendering, but not M2TS AVC 4K 3840x2160 hardware rendering.

GPU RAM usage was 952 MB just before starting the rendering at 0:55 in the video.

During the rendering, GPU RAM is beyond 1900 MB. See for example at 1:34, 1926MB.But it goes up and down, sometimes below 1200MB too. Then shooting back up to 1977MB at one point.

You can see that PD shows "time remaining" of over 50 minutes ! This is for a 37 second rendering.

At 2:26 in the video, Windows asks me if I want to change to Windows 7 basic due to performance issues.I click yes.

Then, the "time remaining" in PD goes down dramatically to the 20 minute range. GPU RAM usage is 1987 MB at that point.

I stopped the screen recording, but the rendering ended up completing in a little over 15 minutes.
 Filename
Capture_1.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
GPU RAM and hardware encode performance issue
 Filesize
78850 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
198 time(s)
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Seems that some of the awful GPU memory usage is caused by Newblue titler .

See
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45843.page

And of course I'm running Win7 with Aero which uses more video RAM.

A lot of you guys not seeing issues seem to be running Windows 10 with 4GB video cards . And perhaps you are not using Newblue titler in 4K either.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
[Post New]
I wasn't implying that there was a 4GB minimum needed for 4k editing. I was trying to say that an OOM error might occur at 2GB (actually 1974MB on your card) if there was a disconnect between where the dedicated RAM ends and where the shared memory would need to be swapped in/accessed.

I don't think there's any user setting that would affect that, and in your video capture I saw the GPU memory get to 2000MB, which should be across the dedicated/shared boundary (unless one is measuring MiB and the other MB).

I'll try to run your sample project if I have time, and clearly there must be a lot of things going on if it takes so long to produce a 37-second video. the NB Titler won't even run without a dedicated GPU card, so I'm not all that surprised that you're seeing such high GPU memory usage when your producing with it.

One request is to upload your screen captures to YT and post the link here. I have a 150+Mbps download speed here but it took 10 minutes to download your clip from the forum's server before I could watch it. If the clip is on YT, anyone can start watching as soon as they click on the link.

I did learn something from you attaching that clip to your post however. There used to be a size limit of about 30MB on any attachments. Your clip was well over twice that size and now I know that larger-sized clips can be attached.

Thanks for that

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 15:32

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
I can't reach your project link on Google drive. I've tried two different browsers, and I'm wondering if you could test the link on your end and either refresh the link or post a new one.

YouTube/optodata

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I can't reach your project link on Google drive. I've tried two different browsers, and I'm wondering if you could test the link on your end and either refresh the link or post a new one.

I have double checked the link. It works fine in 3 separate browsers, Firefox 41.0.1 in incognito mode, Chrome 45 in incognito mode, and Internet explorer 11. I believe the link is OK . Cyberlink and another forum members were able to use that link.

Here is another link for the same zip file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1eSSO_7gwqed2tWdF9TNWxiZ0E

However, with this link, you have to click the "download" button on top, which is less obvious.
[Thumb - screenshot.png]
 Filename
screenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
Capture showing link is OK
 Filesize
2048 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
I don't think there's any user setting that would affect that, and in your video capture I saw the GPU memory get to 2000MB, which should be across the dedicated/shared boundary (unless one is measuring MiB and the other MB).

I saw the GPU RAM usage go to 2006MB in in another test last night, so I think the 2GB GPU RAM is actually in MB, not MiB.

I'll try to run your sample project if I have time, and clearly there must be a lot of things going on if it takes so long to produce a 37-second video. the NB Titler won't even run without a dedicated GPU card, so I'm not all that surprised that you're seeing such high GPU memory usage when your producing with it.

The project has half of two video clips side by side - one HD clip on the left, one 4K clip on the right, a separate audio track, and a title track.

One request is to upload your screen captures to YT and post the link here. I have a 150+Mbps download speed here but it took 10 minutes to download your clip from the forum's server before I could watch it. If the clip is on YT, anyone can start watching as soon as they click on the link.

I think the download speed is a forum issue. The google drive link should be faster.

I do have a rendered video of the project on Youtube. Here it is.

I did learn something from you attaching that clip to your post however. There used to be a size limit of about 30MB on any attachments. Your clip was well over twice that size and now I know that larger-sized clips can be attached.

Thanks for that

Yes, that appears to have been lifted a while ago. I have attached some 100MB files before.

My google drive is getting filled up so I'd rather attach the files here .

I have tried looking at other free storage providers but they don't seem to offer nearly as much space as google.

Dropbox free is only 2GB - I created an account but haven't used it. Is there anything else you can recommend ? MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, OneDrive. If you use Office and you subscribe to the yearly plan (can install on up to 5 devices), you get 1TB. You also can get free OneDrive storage space if you use Skype.

I know there are more options for free OneDrive space but since I need Outlook, Word and Excel on several machines, the subscription plan solved all my cloud storage issues

FWIW I can access the Google drive link on my Surface Pro 3 at my kids' house and I've got the project now. I'll try again at my apt where my main machine is. Maybe it was a temporary issue but I was only getting 404s there.

Thanks for checking and for embedding the video

YouTube/optodata

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yeah, OneDrive. If you use Office and you subscribe to the yearly plan (can install on up to 5 devices), you get 1TB. You also can get free OneDrive storage space if you use Skype.

Thanks. Looks like 15GB free space for the basic account, 100GB free for those who use Dropbox for one year. I have a free Dropbox account (that I don't use), so I guess I qualify

Can you create public download links with one drive ?

The 100GB hopefully should be enough to host all my PowerDirector bug reproduction videos, and I hope one year is enough for Cyberlink to fix them all.

Filling it up will take a while though, with my Comcast 2Mbit/s upstream connection at home.

Also, I believe I have 10GB or 20GB of cloud storage with Cyberlink for buying PD14 . I tried to use it once, but I couldn't figure out how to create a public download link. Is there a way to do so or not ?

I know there are more options for free OneDrive space but since I need Outlook, Word and Excel on several machines, the subscription plan solved all my cloud storage issues

Strictly an Openoffice / Libreoffice guy here, none of that Microsoft stuff for me. Except Windows itself.

I'll try again at my apt where my main machine is. Maybe it was a temporary issue but I was only getting 404s there.

Let me know if it works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 23:58

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
[Post New]
OK, back to the testing.

I tried the Google docs link again from my apt and it worked normally. It took about 15 seconds to download the zipped project and I was able to produce to "H.264 M2TS, AVC 4K 3840x2160/30p 50 Mbps, with the hardware encoder" in 4:54 on my system using PD14 v2109 and the newest nVidia driver 358.50.

My 780Ti card has 3072MB on board and GPU-Z showed roughly 2800MB in use. The GPU load was typically only at 30% while my CPU was pegged at 100% the entire time. The produced video looks and plays normally as far as I can tell, although I only have 2 HD monitors and can't watch it in 4k.

I ran the same test using the nVidia 337.88 driver, which usually gives me the fastest results - but it actually took 5:11 to produce, which is 17 seconds longer! The GPU memory was pretty much fixed at 2003MB the entire time, and that was noticeably lower than with the 358.50 driver. In this case, it seems the higher the GPU memory usage, the quicker the video is produced.

I also tested which formats PD14 would let me use the HE on using AVC H.264, and I was able to select any progressive M2TS format and use HE. All HD, 2k and 4k progressive profiles could use HE.

interlaced profile I chose disabled HE, while all MP4 profiles were able to use the HE because they're all progressive.

So at least in my case, the newer nVidia driver is better (faster), although neither showed the "no video" issue with the RTM version of PD14.

YouTube/optodata

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Do you really mean nVidia drivers 337.88 and not 347.88 ?
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
optodata
[Post New]
yep

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
You can see that on the GPU-Z screen at about 8 seconds in. I just noticed that my screen recordings are suffering from the "PD thinks these source clips are interlaced" glitch.

I don't think there's enough info in them to produce and upload them again, but I can do that in the morning if that would be helpful. It's almost 01:00 here now

YouTube/optodata