Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Alpha transitions disappeared
BrianMitchell108 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2015 07:27 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I recently upgraded to Powerdirector 14 Ultimate (from 13 ultimate), and a project I was working on is still working ok but the transitions I created which were in the 'Custom' folder are gone. They are still visible and still work within the project, but are no longer in the folder.... Version 13 is still on my computer, is there a way to transfer them from 13 to 14?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Brian -

All the custom transitions you've made in previous versions will be availbale in the PDR14 transitions library. They are not stored with the program files, so even if you uninstall PDR13 they'll still be there.

Example: PDR13 custom transitions are stored in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0\MyTrans

If you really would like them to be stored in the PDR14 counterpart, just open the transition in PDR14 (Modify) and click "Save As". Give it a name and it will be stored in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\14.0\MyTrans

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Beyond what showed ynotfish

You can copy the contents of Mytrans of PD13 folder, for Mytrans folder inside the folder PD14.

If there is not, Mytrans folder, create a Alfa transition, this will create Mytrans folder.

I think I did well here. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
BrianMitchell108 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2015 07:27 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you ynotfish and Playsound for your swift replies.

Ynotfish I understand the methodology of opening each individual transition from a project created in Pdr13 and opened in Pdr14. It works. But it's slow and takes time when you have many, like into the dozens or hundreds surprised.

Playsound has offered a more efficient method of copy/pasting the contents of the folders contained within the folder 'Mytrans' in Pdr13 to the same folder in Pdr14. It is faster or seems faster until you realize the folders in both versions have the same names.

FROM (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\13.0\MyTrans\Transition_000, Transition_001, etc.)

TO (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\14.0\MyTrans\Transition_000, Transition_001, etc.)

At least that's the address's on my computer using Windows 10. Both solutions have their drawbacks. Especially when you have many previously created transitions in both versions of Pdr.

You can't overwrite as you lose one of the sets of folders and the created transitions within. Of course if you do it before creating any new transitions in your new Pdr14 then you're all set. Which wasn't mentioned in the installation process/instructions. So if you already have dozens of transitions in each version you have a problem... I only realized the problem when I went back to an old project to update it.

Why doesn't the installation method for Pdr14 do the same with the 'Mytrans' folder as it does with all the others? My new Pdr14 has all the downloaded 'particle' and 'pip' folders (from Pdr13) and all the particles and pips are there for my use in Pdr 14. I don't have to re-download them all again, and since that runs into the hundreds it saves so much time and effort. Why not do the same for the 'Mytrans' transitions?

Oh well, I guess that's a renaming one by one process (either the transitions or the folders) I'll have to go do undecided.

Unless, any other solutions? laughing
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why doesn't the installation method for Pdr14 do the same with the 'Mytrans' folder as it does with all the others? My new Pdr14 has all the downloaded 'particle' and 'pip' folders (from Pdr13) and all the particles and pips are there for my use in Pdr 14. I don't have to re-download them all again, and since that runs into the hundreds it saves so much time and effort. Why not do the same for the 'Mytrans' transitions?

That's a fair question, Brian! There's a difference - one lot of effects is downloaded from DZ. The other lot is customised/created. Your point is valid. If custom effects were "filed" in the same way as downloaded ones, this wouldn't be an issue.

Downloaded effects are also stored (away from the Program Files) at C:\Users\Public\CyberLink There's possibly a reason for storing custom effects in Documents > CyberLink, but I can't think of one! laughing

Just use some renaming software to rename the folders... & be careful you don't end up with double copies in your transitions library.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!