Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 13 -> 14 upgrade requirements
CaptainLeonidas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2015 08:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
As I await a response of Cyberlink support I was wondering if my fellow forum-members ran into installation questions and issue's like I have.

So in short I sent the below text to Cyberlink support:

----------

The question is: Will PowerDirector 13 be demanded to be installed during the upgrade installation of PowerDirector 14 Ultimate?

If indeed the answer is 'yes" you are telling me the only way I can install PowerDirector 14 on a clean installation of Windows Pro 10 is to buy a full version making promotions sent to "valued" members void.

Why you ask?

I own PowerDirector 12 and upgrade PowerDirector 13 licence.I had issue's getting PowerDirector 12 installed because outdate .NET installation issue's during just getting 12 on a Windows 10 Pro machine. It would basically cancel the installation as some Microsoft .NET files were not installed the "Cyberlink" way.

Only after the extracting installation files were available I was able to copy the Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 files needed without using the interactive setup. After I had PowerDirector 12 installed I could use the upgrade of PowerDirector 13. I think the upgrade mechanism of Cyberlink is troublesome from the start since you can NEVER have a clean installation of any Cyberlink product if one chooses to upgrade. Am I incorrect in this?

Looking forward to your response. When will you start using an upgrade process where the upgrade itself wil ask for a valid previous license key before asking for the upgrade key coming with an upgrade purchase of a Cyberlink product?

Parallels Software uses a installation process like that so I know it's possible. This methode works like a charm avoiding "left-over" files and registry-entries.

------

Anyone have advies or perhaps answers?

Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
For various reasons I've ended up with stand-alone (not upgrade) versions of PD12, 13 and 14. All are running on my Win10 system and I've not seen any issue with .NET files.

My understanding of upgrades from other users is that the existing product does need to be installed and that the upgrade uninstalls it automatically. I'm not aware of any need to provide the previous version's license to install the new version.

If you need to start with PD12 to get to 13 and then 14, just install the bare minimum (no Quicktime, SmartSound or WaveEditor). The PD12 installer will ask for that license key before continuing, so in your case you'll want to have them all accessable. Do the same thing with PD13, and when you get to PD14, let it install everything and then install the content packs.

You'll also want to update Quicktime and apply the latest patch for PD14. If you're using any AVI files, or if you get any media error messages when previewinf or editing in the timeline, please see this *sticky* for details on resolving the issue.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote: As I await a response of Cyberlink support I was wondering if my fellow forum-members ran into installation questions and issue's like I have.

So in short I sent the below text to Cyberlink support:

----------

The question is: Will PowerDirector 13 be demanded to be installed during the upgrade installation of PowerDirector 14 Ultimate?

If indeed the answer is 'yes" you are telling me the only way I can install PowerDirector 14 on a clean installation of Windows Pro 10 is to buy a full version making promotions sent to "valued" members void.

Why you ask?

I own PowerDirector 12 and upgrade PowerDirector 13 licence.I had issue's getting PowerDirector 12 installed because outdate .NET installation issue's during just getting 12 on a Windows 10 Pro machine. It would basically cancel the installation as some Microsoft .NET files were not installed the "Cyberlink" way.

Only after the extracting installation files were available I was able to copy the Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 files needed without using the interactive setup. After I had PowerDirector 12 installed I could use the upgrade of PowerDirector 13. I think the upgrade mechanism of Cyberlink is troublesome from the start since you can NEVER have a clean installation of any Cyberlink product if one chooses to upgrade. Am I incorrect in this?

Looking forward to your response. When will you start using an upgrade process where the upgrade itself wil ask for a valid previous license key before asking for the upgrade key coming with an upgrade purchase of a Cyberlink product?

Parallels Software uses a installation process like that so I know it's possible. This methode works like a charm avoiding "left-over" files and registry-entries.

------

Anyone have advies or perhaps answers?

Thanks

I did a Fresh OS install on a drive and installed PD 14 (upgrade) version with no other cyberlink product installed on the drive. I had no issues and somehow the key worked as though it was a full version with no promps for previous serial numbers or anything similar. I had recently purchased PD 13 though (about 4 months ago)... and I'm not sure if that had something to do with the type of key that I was given. Cheers. 4790K / Asus Z97i-Plus / 16gb (2-8gb)crucial @1866 Mhz / Samsung ssd 840 pro 250gb / Samsung 850 evo 250gb M.2 / 2-4tb HGST 7200rpm raid 1 / Nvidia GTX 1070 founders) / corsair RM650 PS / LG BD-RE
CaptainLeonidas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2015 08:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Got this back from Support itself.

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern that you have query about PowerDirector 14.

In regards to your concern,I would like to inform you that yes PowerDirector 13 will be required for the installation of powerDirector 14 and yes only way for clean installation you have to buy full version of PowerDirector 14.

Yes the upgrade mechanism of Cyberlink is troublesome from the start since you can NEVER have a clean installation of any Cyberlink product if one chooses to upgrade.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Thanks and Regards,

Abhinav
CyberLink Technical Support

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2015 04:30