Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 15 - Can't play encrypted ISOs
hucky291158 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2015 05:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Please help!!

PDVD15 fails to play any encrypted iso BD files.

I have tried:

1) The method described in help, driver installed, etc;

2) Previously mounting the ISO on a virtual drive (PowerISO of DVDFab Virtual Drive);

3) Attempted playing the unpacked folder.

Each time I get the message: "CyberLink PowerDVD could not decode the current video because of the
content protection. Try playing the original copy of this video."

All ISOs are 1:1 images from original discs, not decrypted, obtained with PowerISO 6.3.

Not being able to play BD ISOs defeats the object of purchasing PowerDVD in the first place, since this is the only feature I need from this SW.

Cyberlink BD & 3D Advisor gives a pass on all items.

Many thanks!
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
No player will play an encrypted ISO of a Blu-ray _ licensed or un-licensed.

The ISO will have to be decrypted on the fly with AnyDVD HD after the fact or created while AnyDVD HD is enabled during the creation of the ISO.

DVD FAB is another decrypter, that will work with Blu-rays, but since I have no experience with that product, I can't tell you which version works with Blu-rays.

EDIT:

I just had a look at Power ISO, and it appears that it has no decrypter.

I hope you didn't spend money on that product, Imgburn will do the same thing and it's free.

And just a friendly reminder, it's OK to make back-up copies of your own Blu-rays to protect your property, but not someone elses for your benefit.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 19. 2015 03:32

hucky291158 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2015 05:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Jeff R 1, but defeating AACS as you suggest (with AnyDVD or DVDFab) is a bit outside legal bounds, I'm afraid.

I very much doubt that CyberLink are in the game of suggesting you to do such things in order to play an ISO!

My understanding is that PowerDVD 15 Ultra supports playing ISOs (as they claim in the product description), obtained as 1:1 backup copies of the original BDs, of course with the AACS left intact.

I can perfectly play any optical discs.

Next I will have a look into my monitor setup, to see if the HDCP is OK. I've got a dual monitor setup over DVI from an NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 card.

Can dual monitor setups give any problems like that?
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
You have no idea what you're talking about, if you make a 1 to 1 copy of a Blu-ray and leave AACS in tact, it will not play in Power DVD because it is a licensed player _ it's that simple.
And if you play an ISO copy of a Blu-ray in an un-licensed player such as MPC-HC, it will not work there either because AACS is still in tact.
To answer your question, dual monitors can give problems with HDCP protection, but not always, so try using one with the original disc, and then try both monitors with the original disc _ not the ISO.

EDIT:

So I had a look at the description of PowerDVD 15 and it is deceiving, claiming that ISO playback of a Blu-ray is now possible.

The fact remains though, an ISO copy of a Blu-ray can not be played on a lisenced player _ the AACA file has to be defeated in some way.

It's a grey legal area and it falls under the term "fair trade use". If you own a copy of a Blu-ray, it becomes you personal property, you have the right to protect it and if you make a copy of it in order to protect it, then that is legal.

It is illegal to distribute that copy to your friends, family or strangers in any way. You are not allowed to play the copy privately and charge admission or even use the original disc for that matter in that way.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2015 11:11

nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
Its due to the way that Cyberlink has implemented bluray playback. They use amongst other things, kernel mode processes to manage the disc. This doesnt happen with non disc based bluray content. By the way, these kernel mode cyberlink processes are deeply flawed as they fail Microsofts device driver verification tests which amongst other things, makes Cyberlinks PowerDVD ineligible for the windows readiness program and being windows certified.

As for the other talk about law in this thread your all failing to understand how it is very different from one country to another. Some countries have no respect for software patents at all, others are moderate, others are hard line.