Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do I really need an over a year old NVIDIA GRAPHICS DRIVER for PD 13 to use hardware acceleration?
DavidHarrison
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Joined: Jul 30, 2015 11:48 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
The technical system requirements for PD13/14 state this for graphics cards:

NVIDIA:
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600 Series

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

I have a very recent NVIDIA GTX970 card using the latest 355.82 NVidia driver.

Does this statement mean that I really can't use the latest graphics card/driver with PD13/14 if I want to use hardware acceleration?

The old NVidia graphics driver that is mentioned in the tech. specs page is Version 337.88, Release Date Mon May 26, 2014, well over a year old!!!

I'm hoping that this mention of this older driver on the web site is just an oversight and should have been removed a long time ago. Is that the case or do I really need to use that very old driver with my very new graphics card?

Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2015 10:20

Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
C Drive : 250GB SSD, D Drive: 1TB 7200rpm HD, Video Card : Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB DDR5
Monitor: Asus MX279 27" 1920x1080HD
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Can you supply a link to that post. The link is also in the above sticky: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42357.page .You claim to have a nvidia 900 series card which requires the latest driver. The link as I remember it is for the nvidia 600 series and below which you don't have. That link is for those other users who are using those cards and would like to use HA on their pc.

Do you think that post should be removed for the sake of newer nvidia card user as an oversight...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2015 12:08

DavidHarrison
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Joined: Jul 30, 2015 11:48 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can you supply a link to that post. The link is also in the above sticky: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42357.page .You claim to have a nvidia 900 series card which requires the latest driver. The link as I remember it is for the nvidia 600 series and below which you don't have. That link is for those other users who are using those cards and would like to use HA on their pc.

Do you think that post should be removed for the sake of newer nvidia card user as an oversight...

Hi there, the link is here : http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_CA.html

This is the standard Cyberlink PowerDirector Specs" page which lists the system requirements necessary to install and run Power Director. About half way down that page it lists :

"NVIDIA:
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600 Series

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

The PLEASE NOTE: section does not mention any specific Nvidia graphics cards so I assumed it applies to ALL Nvidia graphics cards, new or old. I interpreted the specific Nvidia graphics cards mentioned as meaning those were the MINIMUM required, not the ones that the PLEASE NOTE applies to. This is unclear if you read the text literally.

I have submiited my same question directly to Cyberlink customer support so hopefully they will clarify the meaing of their Technical Requirements Specs. page.

OK, I just read the post in the link you gave which clarified that the issue only applies to the older NVidia graphics cards, but nonetheless, the Cyberlink text on their Specs. web page is misleading and should be changed to stop folks like me asking the same question over and over!

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2015 12:34

Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
C Drive : 250GB SSD, D Drive: 1TB 7200rpm HD, Video Card : Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB DDR5
Monitor: Asus MX279 27" 1920x1080HD
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DavidHarrison

The issue is related only to the specific older cards that are listed (ending with the 600 series) and it's because nVidia dropped CUDA support for those older chipsets. Newer GPUs like yours are not affected in any way, and using the current driver will allow you to produce videos using HA if you choose.

See this sticky *thread* for a more thorough explanation.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°