Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A Few Questions about PD13
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I currently have PD12 and would like to know if PD13 can do a few things I've been trying to do in PD12.

Can transitions be 'run in reverse'? I found recently that I could create a sort of camera shutter effect but only with the 'wormhole' transition which is not a 'opening and closing' of an actual shutter like in a camera. So if I had a wormhole that I could run in reverse and then the normal direction - I could theoretically make a shutter effect. Can this be done in PD13?

Can effects/transitions be performed on subtitles? I'd like to be able to fade in and out subtitles in PD13

I'll read the WIN10 Compatability thread to catch up about if PD13 is WIN10 compatable - Looks like some people are having some problems... others not.

Can PD13 be 'tele-prompted'? I suppose I'm asking if there is an effect where a portion of the video clip could be circled/marked somehow - or something to that effect - to point a veiwer's attention to the object in the clip.

If I upgrade to PD13 (from PD12) - on my current computer (WIN 8.1 OS - 64 bit) - I'd probably get the WIN10 update - How do I transfer PD13 then to a new computer I'm planning on getting in the next 6 months?

When editing audio from a video clip - in PD12 - I usually used the Wave Editor. It stripped the audio from the combined Video/Audio clip and allowed me to edit the audio. But PD 12 did/does NOT allow me to combine the audio back to the video clip - Does PD 13 allow this? I have been able to just 'place' the audio clip under the video and still have synced audio to the video... but.... Just asking.

Is WaveEditor still part of PD13?

Thanks for the anticipated response/s.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I currently have PD12 and would like to know if PD13 can do a few things I've been trying to do in PD12.
You're asking a lot of questions and each one has a different answer with regard to PD12 or 13. I'll do my best on each question, and maybe other members will have additional ideas/opinions.

Can transitions be 'run in reverse'? I found recently that I could create a sort of camera shutter effect but only with the 'wormhole' transition which is not a 'opening and closing' of an actual shutter like in a camera. So if I had a wormhole that I could run in reverse and then the normal direction - I could theoretically make a shutter effect. Can this be done in PD13?
Yes and no, just like with PD12. You already can create a regular transition across two clips, produce it and then place it in the timeline and use Power Tools to run it in reverse. Depending on your actual media, you might want to record the transition between black or green color boards and use Chroma-Key to remove the background so that your actual clips show through.

If you buy any of Pixelan's excellent transition packs (3d Six-Pack or SpiceMASTER), there is an actual reverse/inverse checkbox that runs each effect backwards. The DissolveMaster pack doesn't have that, but you can customize the beginning and ends separately and you're not looking at dissolves here anyway

Can effects/transitions be performed on subtitles? I'd like to be able to fade in and out subtitles in PD13
No. True subtitles run on a special track in the video so they can be displayed or not on the end device, and the standard does not allow anything other than pure text (to my knowledge). However, you can use regular titles with any effects you want to display text just like you would with subtitles. The difference is that they are a permanet part of the video and can never be turned off, but you're free to be as creative with them as you like. PD12 and 13 are identical here, although some versions of PD13 come with NewBlue Titler Pro which gives you much greater creative control and more text animation possiblities.

I'll read the WIN10 Compatability thread to catch up about if PD13 is WIN10 compatable - Looks like some people are having some problems... others not.
Most people are now running succesfully, with the exception of the new Catalyst driver for AMD cards

Can PD13 be 'tele-prompted'? I suppose I'm asking if there is an effect where a portion of the video clip could be circled/marked somehow - or something to that effect - to point a viewer's attention to the object in the clip.
There are many simple ways to do that in any version of PD. You'll see many examples if you look at any of the tutorials. You can use specialized tools (like Zoom Magnifier) from the NewBlueFX packs that come standard with higher versions of PD, you can purchase them from NewBlueFX. You can also manually create them using masks and PiP tools in PD. I suggest you review the tutorials for more info.

If I upgrade to PD13 (from PD12) - on my current computer (WIN 8.1 OS - 64 bit) - I'd probably get the WIN10 update - How do I transfer PD13 then to a new computer I'm planning on getting in the next 6 months?
You just install it on the new PC. I believe the PD license only allows you to install and use the software on one PC at a time, but it won't prevent you from installing it on a new computer. I know that any purchased packs from NewBlue MUST be deactivated on your old system before the license can be resued on a new installation. That's not needed with the packs that come preinstalled with PD.

When editing audio from a video clip - in PD12 - I usually used the Wave Editor. It stripped the audio from the combined Video/Audio clip and allowed me to edit the audio. But PD 12 did/does NOT allow me to combine the audio back to the video clip - Does PD 13 allow this? I have been able to just 'place' the audio clip under the video and still have synced audio to the video... but.... Just asking.
In any version of PD, just select both the audio and video clips you want to join, then right-click and choose Link Video and Audio

Is WaveEditor still part of PD13?
Just like with PD12, it comes with every version - but the higher tiered versions come with AudioDirector, which is much more powerful. The comparison *page* has more info.

Thanks for the anticipated response/s.
CS
You're welcome, but this is a really long post and it would be better next time to stick with just a couple of questions at a time. Also, several of these items have been recently addressed in existing posts (like transitions in reverse and effects on subtitles), and you might find the answers you're looking for more quickly if you search the forums first tongue-out

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I was thinking that I probably should have searched a bit harder before I posted - I do apologize for posting too quickly !

But I do thanks you for all the responses and your 'pointing me in the right direction'. I WILL follow up on the issues in the appropriate 'direction'

Looks like I'll wait until I get that new computer before I upgrade to PD13 then!

If I may - just one quick follow-up question - What RAM - Graphics card, processor speed, etc.... should I look at possibly purchasing. I do NOT like a laggy processing mode of operation so I'm thinking a 'higher end' set up is probably the direction I'll be taking.

Thanks optodata!

CS

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CS14
why you do not wait until PD 14 arrives in September +- !!! Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a very common question and there are quite a few threads out there on this subject. Intel has just released their latest and greatest CPUs this week and AMD and nVidia continue to push out new GPU cards AND architectures - so there are a whole lot of changes here.

My advice is to get the most powerful CPU/motherboard you can afford along with the best GPU. Passmark.com is a great resource for comparing the processing power of CPUs and the gaming performance of GPUs. Note that gaming performance isn't identical to video performance, but generally the higher performing gaming cards will do better at video editing.

One exception is the nVidia GTX960, which is more focused on video and is equal to my GTX780Ti in PD, even though it doesn't score nearly as high in gaming. See this *chart* It also cost barely a quarter of what I paid for my card 18 months ago, and the chart shows its value (based on just the gaming score) is twice as high as the 780Ti. That may be a good fit for you.

Plan to get at least 8GB or RAM, with 16 or more being ideal, and definitely get at least one SSD for your C: drive (100GB or higher capacity) You should also have one really large (>= 1TB) HDD for storing your videos. If you're planning to work with 2k or 4k video, you'll also want at least one monitor that can handle that resolution.

Of course, there will probably be even more choices six months from now, so check back here when you're ready to buy and I'm sure you'll be able to get as much advice as you need

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

CS2014
[Post New]
Thanks again for the response optodata!

I usually try to purchase the CPU that is one step below the fanciest at the time, but you have educated me on the Graphics card - which contains the GPU I suppose? Thank you go for providing something for me to read up on - and the suggestions on a couple of specific GPU's/Cards.

I have 8G of RAM now, will probably go with 16G RAM in the future.

I have 1 1T and 2 2T external hard drives. 1 WD 2T(Passport Ultra - was on sale) and 1 Seagate 2T, and 1 WD Passport 1T.

None of these are SSD I don't think.

The new computer will probably be at least 1T if not more.

Anyway, that's my plans. Oh and why not PD14? Well the upgrade to 13 will be a LOT cheaper and for my applications I don't need the latest in video applications. But I do like a computer that can handle a video editor without 'breaking into a sweat'!

Thanks again optodata!

CS
PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
optodata
[Post New]
You're welcome

None of those drives are SSD, and you may want/need to get new external drives that can utilize USB3/3.1 or Thunderbolt 2 interface speeds. If your external drives use USB2 or eSATA, they might not be able to keep up with your editing needs with your new machine.

YouTube/optodata

Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
HiCS2014

Tip : Speed= Peace laughing

Speed = Money { spend }

Speed = Happy Chappie !!!

Speed = Money { in Production }

Speed = New World { 4 k }

Look at my Wildebeest { NEW }

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2015 15:59

Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR