Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Auto tone makes image too bright
miksh7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2015 08:27 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently installed PhD6 and started from exploring auto features to let this mature product to make the best suggestion. Surprisingly, I found out that "Auto tone" feature makes any photo too too bright shifting all colors in histogram to the very right end. Is it expected? Any settings could affect it?
[Post New]
Hello miksh7,

In all the time I've used PhD, I've never had the urge to try "Auto Tone". I just tried it now on some RAW photos & didn't find that the histogram was affected in the same way.

Here are before & after auto tone screenshots:

Now - I don't like what "auto tone" did to my photo at all, but I'd think of it as a starting point for editing if I intended to use it.

Could you please post one of your originals as an attachment?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
miksh7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank PIX. Indeed, it depends on the image but in most case the the result of "auto tone" feature is useless

Here is my example. Auto tome increases exposure to 0.49 and midtone to 45
 Filename
_HAN9201.NEF
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12592 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
610 time(s)
[Thumb - Untitled.png]
 Filename
Untitled.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
707 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
225 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello again miksh7,

I'm afraid that, after a little investigating, I'd have to agree with you that using Auto Tone with NEF files from the Nikon D300 is "useless"!

After testing your attached photo (thank you), I downloaded some further samples from the D300. The results of using auto tone were all similar. Midtones were blown out to ridiculous levels.

I have not found the same flaw with other camera files I've tried.

Clearly, you've already decided that for your camera the feature is useless. I think we'd just have to admit defeat and not use it.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
miksh7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's sad... I definitely won't change my camera.

Any chance to let Cyberlynk know about that issue? I'd like have it fixed in one of the next hotfixes.
[Post New]
Of course you shouldn't change your camera! laughing

You'll be pleased to hear that - without my intervention - the team at CL noticed your posted issue & it's already been forwarded to the R&D team to work on a "fix".

Service with a smile laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
VicTheClick2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Burnley, Lancs. UK Joined: Dec 08, 2013 13:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is an old topic, but PhD 7 has the same issue.

'Auto Tone' is OK with JPEg images, but not with Canon CR2 (Eos 70d) and Fuji RAF (HS50exr) files.

The problem is always the same, midtone is set far too high and blows out most of the detail.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2017 15:33

Vic The Click, Fuji HS50exr snapper.