Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Program Crash
Shakeel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 16:12 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have been working on my honeymoon movie for a while now and suddenly a few days ago the file would not open. It would say unhandled exception and then ask me if i want to debug it. When i click no the PowerDirector exits. This is the second time this has happened to me and i have lost weeks and weeks of work in total. This is really upsetting and just do not know what to do as I can not redo the work.

Has anyone ever managed to overcome this?

Thank you for any help at all.

EDITED>>>
Ive now uninstalled powerdirector, like an idiot. As this laptop came with it on and so now i have no application. Can I get a PowerDirector 5 trial? I just need to produce the final version of the work ive been doing.

Guys I know you dont know me but you gotta help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2008 17:43

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD7 trial is available.
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_4_ENU.html
eireen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 26, 2008 04:48 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the link dafydd bevan, I'll try it later my browser is not working good this time. Maybe later. I cant wait to avail the trial. shop gear
Shakeel [Avatar]
[Post New]
dafydd,

Thanks for your link, ive now got the full version of powerdirector 7. Once I finish this project I will never use power director again and maybe use Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere (i.e. professional software).

I cant believe one has to open their files in notepad to fix files due to bugs in the system. I backed up my file 6 times and not one of the backups worked, i simply can not fathom in this day and age companies are able to sell software that has major bugs.

I know you try your best to help people but honestly, despite powerdirector being easy to use, theres much more stable software out there. Being a software developer I would rather write my own than spend months on some work and then find the file is corrupted!

Anyway thanks for your link again and anyone that reads this i can say with surety, Do Not spend your time using Powerdirector 5. I can not say for later version but that version is not worth your effort,

Regards.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Were those PD7 back up's that "failed" because I'd like to know. I have yet to have a pds fail to open in PD7 so I'd appreciate it if you can give me some info.

1. Did you Export your project?
2. In what manner was the failure reported?

I don't aim to come up with any excuses for a program failing you, my reason is to find the cause, whether it's to do with the manner you've stored data, the media contents or even if there is a bug that needs correcting.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2008 07:12

Shakeel [Avatar]
[Post New]
All the backups that failed (6 of them at that point) were PD5 backups. This is why i can not comment on the stability of PD7.

Basically id do some work, save and back up along the way. Then close. Later when trying to open the file, PD5 would not open it stating there has been an exception.

I tried the 'open in notepad' technique but to no avail.