CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 10 Pop-up
Reply to this topic
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

Does anybody have a clue on how to get rid of the pesky Windows 10 reminder pop-up that keeps coming up

Thanks

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 5793 Offline
[Post New]
On the available updates window, click the optional updates, uncheck the win 10 upgrade. The win 10 upgrade will now stop loading each day you startup your pc. Simply click the x when the blue box pops up each day to remind you to schedule your upgrade.

I will still upgrade to win 10 when I'm ready. Find that the Microsoft Edge is a security risk for now on someone's pc. The antivirus was of no help in that situation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2015 14:55

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tomasc

Have a look at the attached. There is nothing on there about W10. It's the blue pop-up that I am finding a pain, it seems to come up every five minutes or so. How can I get rid of the dreaded blue reminder?

Thanks

Robert
[Thumb - win10.png]
 Filename
win10.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
94 time(s)
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 7097 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How can I get rid of the dreaded blue reminder?
You mean, besides installing Win10

This *article* covers it very well, giving you options to hide it or completely remove it (by uninstalling KB 3035583). I've updated 4 PCs but have two that aren't hardware compatible, and I'm going to remove the "update" that put the reminder there in the first place.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Hi optodata

Thanks for that information. The problem really, is I have read so many horror stories on here I just don't know which way to go.

If I reserve a copy, am I committed to having W10?

Thanks Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 7097 Offline
[Post New]
My understanding is that you'll be offered Win10 through Windows Update whenever your reservation comes through. According to the article, removing the reminder after you've made a reservation won't have any affect on you actually getting Win10.

I couldn't wait for my reservation and downloaded the ISO on 7/29. Things went smoothly for the most part on my 4 upgrades, and only one had some issues and I decided to start with a clean install.

Other than the issues that some members have posted about error messages with some AVI clips in PD13, I have had no other problems. But that's just my experience, and I think it's fine to proceed with caution if you're not quite ready for the change.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 20. 2015 16:37

The Shadowman
[Post New]
OK, done now, too late to be sorry.

Thanks optodata for you help Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 5793 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tomasc

Have a look at the attached. There is nothing on there about W10. It's the blue pop-up that I am finding a pain, it seems to come up every five minutes or so. How can I get rid of the dreaded blue reminder?

Thanks

Robert

Looks like optodata has got you headed in the right direction. I never get the win 10 popup every 5 minutes, only once a day when I start the pc in the morning and now only a popup that in the morning can be closed with an x without it downloading anything after unchecking the win 10 upgrade in the optional update window. It must be related to fact that I changed the reccommended action years ago of Install updates automatically to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them. See the attached screenshots:

1. Change in windows update reccommendation.

2. Window 10 Upgrade appears in Optional.

[Thumb - Optional.jpg]
 Filename
Optional.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Upgrade to win 10 is optional and can be unchecked.
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)
[Thumb - Download Updates.jpg]
 Filename
Download Updates.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Changes away from update reccomendations.
 Filesize
133 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
84 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2015 18:58

Myk
Senior Member Private Message Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I reserved my update and the pop-up stopped. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Thanks all, for your advice it' greatly appreciated Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Reply to this topic