Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi-def clips won't run in the timeline or multiple angles, and run slow in Trim function.
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
I have been working with these videos for a while, and I think the source of my dificulty comes from this: Hi-def videos won;t run in the timeline. I drop the clip into the timeline, press "play," then it plays for about a second or two. Then the video freezes and the timeline cursor jumps ahead to another part of the timeline while the audio continues to play. When the audio catches up to the cursor, it jumps again, further this time. This means that the only way I get to see the video on which I am editing is to render it and watch it as a completed video. This does not happen with standard-def videos.

I can watch the videos just fine from the Library when I click on them, but not the timeline.

I get the same effect when I use the "Multiple Cameras" function. When I use the "Trim" fuction, the video moves slow as the audio mores at regular speed. When I hit "pause," the video catches up in ne jump.

I have figured out workarounds (ie: watching a video of the source of the clip and matching the timecode to that on the timeline to find the correct spot to cut the video) but this is tedious. And I still can't watch the whole thing without rendering it.

Is it possible that my computer does not have enough space or enough power to run hi-def video clips in the timeline? Is there some other reason?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2015 18:05

Zorikh
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Attach a dxdiag.txt and we can get a better idea of what might be happening. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
What's a dxdiag.txt and how do I access it so I cAttachmentsan attach it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2015 08:28

Zorikh
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Cli k your start button and in the sear h box type dxdiag and hit the enter key. When a new window opens there should be a pla e at the bottom to save the result. I don't remember the exact wording. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is this the info you need to help?

System Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.
System Model: MacBook Pro8,1
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2435M CPU @ 2.40 GHz (4 CPUs), - 2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page file: 2256MB used 5754MB available
Directx Version: Directx 11

Other info: I am using Windows 7 in Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro. The partition is set at Bootcamp 140 GB/Mac 324 GB. The Bootcamp partition has between 15 and 25 GB free as I produce videos and them move them onto an external hard drive to free up space.

If this can help you help me, thanks! Zorikh
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, wait, there are tabs on that thing! OK, here is the attachement.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
Zorikh
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Zorikh. Your DxDiag shows that your MacBook Pro has a mid-range CPU and no separate GPU, so basically your system isn't powerful enough to work directly with HD files in the editor or multi-cam windows.

It IS powerful enough to produce HD videos, but you'll need to turn on Shadow Files [Gear icon, Enable HD video processing (shadow file)] to easily work on editing them.

Shadow files are low-res versions of your original clips that are much quicker to edit, but when you use the Produce or Create Disc tabs, PD will use the full-res clips to produce the final video. Does that make sense?

It's very important that you let your laptop finish processing all the source/shadow files before trying to edit, or you'll run into these same usability issues.

When shadow files are turned on, there's a small yellow icon on every HD clip in the library, and that icon will turn green once the shadow file for that clip is ready. Basically leave PD running while you do other things and when all the clips show green icons, you're ready to edit. It's also better to only import the clips you need into the library before you start, or you may be waiting a LONG time for an entire memory card's contents to be processed

Let us know if this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2015 23:10

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! Yes! If it works as well as you say, it could mean working as much as three or four times faster than I am working now! I will try it right away and report back. (probably tomorrow). Zorikh
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think it will work much better, especially given how frustrating it is now to wait for the editor to catch up with and display a simple change in the timeline.

If you can open your project in PD and turn on shadow files this evening (and your computer doesn't go to sleep), you should definitely be ready to go in the morning.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, The files are in an ext HD and I did not have it hooked up last night so I tried it this morning.

The project I am working on now is about 3 weeks old, and I just added a bunch o new clips to it to update it. It turns out that Shadow Files has been on all along. the older files do have the green icon, but the newer ones still have the yellow icon.

I tried viewing the green files, and they worked just like you said they would. The yellow files are still behaving badly

I have to leave the house soon and take my computer with me. Also, I am trying to edit a feature-length film in 5-to-10 minute segments, each of which will have lots of files in it (multiple angles of medieval melee tournaments).

About how long will I have to wait for between 20 and 40 files to go from yellow to green, and will I have to leave my computer open and on and not do any editing during that time?
Zorikh
optodata
[Post New]
Quote: ...About how long will I have to wait for between 20 and 40 files to go from yellow to green, and will I have to leave my computer open and on and not do any editing during that time?

I don't really know the answer because it depends on the source clips and what other tasks your computer is doing, but from other posts on the forum I think it's a fairly time-cosuming process.

Having the files on an external drive may complicate things because I assume you'll need to disconnect it whenever you transport your laptop. The good news is that creating the shadow files is a one-time process, and PD will always work with them once they're completed.

The best way to reduce the time it takes to create the shadow files is to reduce the number of clips in the media library. Since you're working in 5-10 minute segments, make sure that you only have the relevant clips loaded (i.e. not every clip from every camera from the entire tournament).

A possible workflow might be to start with just the first clip from each camera and let them be processed, then sync them on the timeline or in the multi-cam designer and work from there. If the clips are fairly staggered, you might need to add a second clip from some of your cameras but if you do that one at a time, you should still be able to work with the existing clips while the new clip is being processed.

If you were able to use a computer with an i7 CPU (and ideally with a dedicated GPU), you'd be able to work directly with your source files. With your existing hardware, however, I think the method I've just described going to be the best approach.

YouTube/optodata

jackie0098 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: as Joined: Aug 18, 2015 14:22 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hey! I'm having similar issues and my files are running on Shadow form...I'd love to have an answer as to why I can't preview my edited clips. The timeline LINE skips to the end by itself, and the video/audio is choppy. It's frustrating. I am also posting my DxDiag. Please help!My computer is experiencing NO lag whatsoever, it's only the editor.

I'm totally open to buying new hardware, just let me know what would make the most sense
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
250 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2015 14:44

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Would reducing the preview image quality help? I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
optodata
[Post New]
jackie0098, your computer specs look good and you're running programs about as fast as possible with your SSD C: drive. You don't need to use shadow files unless you're working with 4k media.

There is a newer driver available for your GTX750, but I don't think you'll see any improvement.

Like Kyle mentioned, setting the preview quality to High rather than either HD setting will speed up the display, and if you have a need to see critical details you can change the preview setting to non real-time and then preview in full HD

YouTube/optodata

jackie0098 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: as Joined: Aug 18, 2015 14:22 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kyle and optodata,

I even reduced it to LOW quality and the lag on the editor is driving me insane.

I took a screen capture of the issue I am facing. You'll see the timeline LINE move all the way to the end, and the audio/video just don't play properly at all together. I'm totally frustrated and you guys are my only hope now

I updated my driver this morning, but nothing changed at all.

Here's the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f2yofs8po3ujlx/ScreenCapture_2015-8-15%2020.16.21.wmv?dl=0

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times with no luck whatsoever

Fingers crossed!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2015 16:30

optodata
[Post New]
Jackie, the screen capture show your situation very well and since this is a different situation than the original poster of this thread was having, the best thing is to start a new thread so your specific issue can be addressed.

Please start with your DxDiag results again (sorry) and also a attach sample clip, if possible. The best thing would actually be to pack your project materials and upload them to DropBox and share the link.

That way people can download your actual project and see what might be going on. Of course, only do that if you're comfortable sharing everything in the project with strangers

YouTube/optodata

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Just another thought jackie0098, your sreen grab indicates that you have used either Power Tools or Fix / Enhance for your video clips as well as audio fx/tools. I'm just wondering if maybe theses are slowing down your timeline reply. I have an i5 PC that struggles to play any timeline video that has been got at with Power Tools or Fix / Enhance! I have to edit first, then go back and enhance OR even Produce Range in order for my HD seq to play smoothly. Will your clips play smoothly without and FX work?

I'm afraid that is the extent of my limited knowledge.....

Good luck

********** just noticed jackie0098 has started a new thread Timeline extremely laggy and no audio/video sync in preview ****

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 20. 2015 06:04

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
optodata
[Post New]
Kyle, you hit the nail on the head! Take a look at the new thread and you'll see what I mean

YouTube/optodata