Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how can I pack my projects to my NAS (Network-Attached-Storage)
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to pack my pprojects to my NAS I get the message that the drive is not supported.

This dosn't make sense because I can pack projects at Cyberlink Cloud - whitch, in my opinion, is a NAS drive too - or?

It's pretty annoying to first pack to internal drive and then move the project to NAS.

Some suggestions from the technical wise, please.

Cheers, Anja
[Thumb - Nas not supported.jpg]
 Filename
Nas not supported.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
the drive is not supported
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
58 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2015 16:47

PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja

Just to get your help started, do you see the drive in Windows explorer? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just to throw in here, I have an LG-NAS N2B1D, it has a built-in Blueray burner and 2 x 2TB 7,200 RPM (irrelevant) drives.
It's a gorgeous white box also boasting a built-in card reader and USB port that pops up from the top of the case when you press it.
Although I can access the BR drive via iscsl, the storage drives have never been accessible with drive letters, only as volume 1 and 2 (JBOD) via the NAS connection. Not the card or USB port either.
Despite over 4,000 posts here, my techiness is, er, well, not exactly PHD-level.
So, in short, I am watching your thread hoping someone can give us a clue on how to set our NASs (NASii?) to show as drives,
until then I just copy/cut/paste my PowerDirector PPMs from my in-house drives to my NAS drives when I am finished with them.
Again, not hijacking, just chiming in and watching with interest. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I try to pack my pprojects to my NAS I get the message that the drive is not supported.

This dosn't make sense because I can pack projects at Cyberlink Cloud - whitch, in my opinion, is a NAS drive too - or?

It's pretty annoying to first pack to internal drive and then move the project to NAS.

Some suggestions from the technical wise, please.

Cheers, Anja
From you statement, you can copy to the NAS from Windows, is that correct?

If you can 'see' the NAS from Windows, you can probably go into Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and assign the NAS drive letters. When you have Drive Letters for the NAS, Powerdirector should be able to see the NAS.

I do not have a NAS drive anymore, so I can not test that idea. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
Thanks for your replys.

I can copy to the NAS from Windows and from NAS to Windows - doing that every day.
My NAS is Seagate Business Storage 2-Bay 2 x 2TB. I'm using RAID 1.

I've got this PC 2 month ago and havn't assign the NAS drive letters on this PC - did that on the old PC (also running win7) without being able to pack PD projects. The way I assigned the drives were from the Seagate Nas Discovery program where I can map the shares. But I'll give it a try again - right now using a small test project [2:18:39] packed = 368 MB, 37 files.

Carl312 - this time IT WORKED with maped drives - but I think I'll go back to manually copy to the NAS

because:
Pack to an internal HD (E: )takes less than 3 sec.
Pack to an external USB2 HD (H: ) takes 12 sec.
Pack to the NAS mapped HD takes 2 min 42 sec.
I have a TP-LINK 802.11ac Network Adapter and the Router/Network connection is 5GHz
Copy the small test project with TeraCopy from either internal HD or external USB2 HD to the NAS HD takes between 50 and 62 sec.

I use TeraCopy because it allows putting multiple copy jobs started at the same time. This you can not do with Explorer.

BarryTheCrab, I'm not exactly PHD-level either - what is iscsl?

Cheers, Anja
[Thumb - NAS efter mapning X Z.JPG]
 Filename
NAS efter mapning X Z.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Explorer showing maped drives
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)
[Thumb - NAS med stifinder.JPG]
 Filename
NAS med stifinder.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Explorer showing NAS
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
68 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It is much faster writing to an internal drive than any other.

You had asked if you could get Powerdirector to write a Packed Project to the NAS, so defining a drive letter for the NAS drives does that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2015 13:57

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Yes you are right Carl but I didn't Work on my former PC even if it vas too with win7.
And now I wonder why it takes 2 min 42 sec to pack on the NAS when it only takes 54 sec (4+50) to pack internal plus copy to NAS.
Doesn't seem right that it takes 3 times longer to pack the projct directly from PD to the NAS drive. PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Yes you are right Carl but I didn't Work on my former PC even if it vas too with win7.
And now I wonder why it takes 2 min 42 sec to pack on the NAS when it only takes 54 sec (4+50) to pack internal plus copy to NAS.
Doesn't seem right that it takes 3 times longer to pack the projct directly from PD to the NAS drive.
The response time for the network and network drive. USB is also slow.

I compare it to water flow in a small pipe vs a large pipe.

Plus Powerdirector is not the fastest software for some tasks. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.