Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need a new engine to run PD
[Post New]
A just recently downloaded Power Directory 13 Ultra. I have also few months ago bought Samsung NX1 with a capability to shoot 4K footages, but it appeares that my laptop HP Pavilion g6, i3/4gb Ram, is nowhere near the requirements, I am asking a bit back up opinion to get myself a decent engine. I have quite a good understanding about computing since begining the time transistors had three legs, but the few last years I have not had the time to follow the last trends. I understand that ISP display is necessary if not othervice but I do a lot of photo post editing.

Thanks
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Otava

Yes, for 4K you will need a new "engine". The more RAM you can afford the better, at least 16gbs, 32 if possible. And if you can stretch to it, at the very least, an i5* processor, in fact an i7* is better altogether *or the equivilent. My i7 has built in graphics so I don't have a graphics card, so I cant advise you on that.

Even with all this you may find it is a struggle to edit and you may still have to resort to shadow files or another proxy method.

And then you must consider how you are going to store and view your projects. 4k video files are large, take up a lot of room on storage disks. To get the best viewing quality you will need a 4K TV or perhaps a 4K PC monitor. There very few 4K media players that handle more than 30fps.

Think carefully before you make any decisions about what you buy, try and future proof a bit by getting more than you actually need. It's better to have too much power than not enough and getting it spot on, almost impossible.

Is 4k worth the hassle and expense? My opinion, absolutely YES. The quality is wonderful, even when downsized to 1920X1080.

Go for it, but don't try to cut corners. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with The Shadowman's recommondations, but would strongly emphasize an i7 (if you get an intel CPU) because hyperthreading will double the number of CPU cores for video processing - usually from 4 to 8 - although there is at least one 6-core CPU available. If you have the resources, a Xeon (or even dual Xeon) system would be the most capable of dealing with 4k media.

As I'm in the Intel/nVidia world, I don't have much experience with AMD's hardware performance, so if you're going to get a separate GPU I'd say that the GTX960 is a really good choice. Also, I'm talking about the desktop version here. Although you can get laptops with high-end hardware, they tend to be gigantic, heavy gaming machines (like with 17" monitors) and they're not as portable as a mainstream laptop or convertable, and you'd want the GTX965M (M for mobile chipset) or higher for 4k.

Maybe other members have a portable 4k solution they're happy with, but I think you'll get the best editing experience with a new desktop system using the most powerful CPU you can afford.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
thanks guys
As i cannot remember when I have taken my laptop out, since I bought tablet, and if I did I have not done any editing out of my desk, it would not be a bad idea to consider desktop. Are the gaming monsters the ultimate answer?