Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Analog-to-Digital DV/HD USB video capture hardware with AVI output – Recommendations?
Sailor Guy
Member Location: St. Louis, Missouri USA Joined: Aug 19, 2012 10:23 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]
For several years, I have been happily using a USB-connected Pinnacle Studio Moviebox HD (510-USB) with Pinnacle Studio 14 software to do all my video captures from VHS, Hi8 camcorder, etc. See the attached image. I tried using PowerDirector to capture using the Moviebox HD, but it never worked properly – so I use the software that came with the MBHD. I do all my capturing with Pinnacle software and all my video editing with PD12.

I normally capture everything in AVI format to maximize the potential source video quality using the RCA audio/video, S-video, or DV/firewire ports. And, yes, I know capturing a VHS video in AVI format is overkill, but I take the AVI content and convert it to either MPEG2 (DVD) or MPEG4 (video file for Windows, Mac, etc.).

I have dozens of video cartridges (VHS, digital Hi8, analog Hi8, other HD camcorders, etc.) to convert and I want to get another USB-connected DV/HD-compatible analog-to-digital capture device so I can have two computers capturing simultaneously into AVI files. I plan to capture video directly off DV camcorders using the DV/Firewire port.

Ideally, I want to get a second MBHD. Unfortunately, the Moviebox HD is no longer manufactured or sold. And the current Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder HD does not do AVI capture nor have a DV/firewire port.

I would prefer to use a USB capture device so I can easily move it between computers, but I would consider an internal card if the performance and functionality are superior to USB.

Does anyone have any recommendations for USB (or internal card) capture devices and software that will support DV/firewire connections (as well as the RCA audio/video and S-video ports) and AVI video output format? What do you use to capture?

Thank you,

Sailor Guy
[Thumb - Pinnacle-Studio-Moviebox-HD-Capture.jpg]
 Filename
Pinnacle-Studio-Moviebox-HD-Capture.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Pinnacle Studio Moviebox HD capture device
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
722 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2015 14:07

PD 16 Ulimate 64-bit 16.0.2313.0; PhotoDir 7 Ultra; Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel i5-2500K @3.3hGhz; 8 GB; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (4GB); Pinnacle Studio MovieBox HD 510-USB; Canopus ADVC-300; Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD; LG BE14 Blu-Ray
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It is not connected via USB, but is about the best analog capture device for standard definition video.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

Several online stores have the device. Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo Video.

You need a device that will play the media connected to the advd110. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Sailor Guy
Member Location: St. Louis, Missouri USA Joined: Aug 19, 2012 10:23 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]
Carl312,

Thanks for the response.

So you use PowerDirector software to do the actual capture off the ADVC110? And will it capture to an AVI format using PD?

I may look into the ADVC300 which provides digital noise reduction and image stabilization. Interesting that the ADVC300 is sold under the brand Canopus on Amazon.

I need to reach out to Grass Valley because most internet sites are out of stock on the ADVC110 and ADVC300 (Amazon, B&H, NewEgg, etc.). It appears the products are no longer manufactured. I'll post what I find out from them.

How do you do your HD capture? Just connect the HD camcorder, etc. directly to your computer and copy the files from the device hard drive or memory card?

Thanks,

Sailor Guy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2015 09:29

PD 16 Ulimate 64-bit 16.0.2313.0; PhotoDir 7 Ultra; Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel i5-2500K @3.3hGhz; 8 GB; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (4GB); Pinnacle Studio MovieBox HD 510-USB; Canopus ADVC-300; Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD; LG BE14 Blu-Ray
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Sailor Guy, I have never used one to those devices. I have read many web sites that recommend this device.

I do know of at least one poster in the Cyberlink forum that has used one to good advantage.

I have converted many VHS tapes via a VHS to DVD recorder, I have also used USB devices and/or a tuner card in the computer.

My Tuner card died and I have not replaced it.

How do you do your HD capture? Just connect the HD camcorder, etc. directly to your computer and copy the files from the device hard drive or memory card?

I have a card reader in my computer that I read the camera SDHC card then copy the Stream folder to a folder on my computer. Direct copy of the camera files.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2015 18:38

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Michelle123456 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New Zealand Joined: Aug 08, 2015 23:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone
Michelle123456 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New Zealand Joined: Aug 08, 2015 23:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to sort out a problem with power director 13 for some reason when I have tried it out with the trial version then try to edit it in Adobe premiere pro every second frame is green does anyone have any suggestion on how to resolve this I am running Windows 7 64-bit but planning to upgrade as soon as this problem is solved hopefully someone may be able to get back to me you can contact me through my website or here www.analogue2digital.co.nz thank you